Habaguanex to turn Old Havana landmark into new luxury hotel
The Habaguanex Group has announced that it will be turning an early 20th-century landmark building in Havana, Cuba into a luxury 246-room hotel. The Manzana de Gomez hotel is located in western Old Havana, close to Parque Central, and it is scheduled to open to guests in 2016 complete with an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, and a rooftop terrace.
The Habaguanex Group has announced a joint partnership with Gaviota S.A to transform an old landmark building in Havana into a new luxury hotel.
The hotel will be taking over the former early 20th-century Manzana de Gomez shopping mall which is located at the heart of Old Havana and it will have 246 guest rooms and upscale facilities.
The new Manzana de Gomez hotel is scheduled to open in Cuba's capital city by 2016 and it will offer an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, a rooftop terrace, a modern gym, and glass lifts.
The Swiss luxury hotel brand Kempinski has signed a letter of intent to operate the five-star hotel in Havana, and if successful, this will be the Geneva-based hotel group's first property in the western hemisphere.
Located close to the Parque Central and the landmark Floridita Bar which was a local haunt for Ernest Hemingway, the new luxury hotel will be hold a prime position for tourist looking to explore Havana's Old Town.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and it is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government in a bid to encourage more visitors to explore the historical piazzas and streets.
The Habaguanex group was established in 1994 by the Office of the Historian of Havana and it is in charge of tourism in Old Havana. The company is working closely with Gaviota on two other projects - the Packard Hotel and a hotel on Prado and the Malecon oceanfront boulevard.
The five-storey Manzana de Gomez was built in 1910 and was the first indoor shopping mall in Havana. Over the years, the building has hosted upscale retail stores, offices, embassies, consulates and schools.
Habaguanex operates several hotels in Havana and more than 40 restaurants and cafes in the historic centre of the city.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and many ancient ruins and preserved sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...