Habaguanex to turn Old Havana landmark into new luxury hotel
The Habaguanex Group has announced that it will be turning an early 20th-century landmark building in Havana, Cuba into a luxury 246-room hotel. The Manzana de Gomez hotel is located in western Old Havana, close to Parque Central, and it is scheduled to open to guests in 2016 complete with an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, and a rooftop terrace.
The Habaguanex Group has announced a joint partnership with Gaviota S.A to transform an old landmark building in Havana into a new luxury hotel.
The hotel will be taking over the former early 20th-century Manzana de Gomez shopping mall which is located at the heart of Old Havana and it will have 246 guest rooms and upscale facilities.
The new Manzana de Gomez hotel is scheduled to open in Cuba's capital city by 2016 and it will offer an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, a rooftop terrace, a modern gym, and glass lifts.
The Swiss luxury hotel brand Kempinski has signed a letter of intent to operate the five-star hotel in Havana, and if successful, this will be the Geneva-based hotel group's first property in the western hemisphere.
Located close to the Parque Central and the landmark Floridita Bar which was a local haunt for Ernest Hemingway, the new luxury hotel will be hold a prime position for tourist looking to explore Havana's Old Town.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and it is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government in a bid to encourage more visitors to explore the historical piazzas and streets.
The Habaguanex group was established in 1994 by the Office of the Historian of Havana and it is in charge of tourism in Old Havana. The company is working closely with Gaviota on two other projects - the Packard Hotel and a hotel on Prado and the Malecon oceanfront boulevard.
The five-storey Manzana de Gomez was built in 1910 and was the first indoor shopping mall in Havana. Over the years, the building has hosted upscale retail stores, offices, embassies, consulates and schools.
Habaguanex operates several hotels in Havana and more than 40 restaurants and cafes in the historic centre of the city.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and many ancient ruins and preserved sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...