Habaguanex to turn Old Havana landmark into new luxury hotel
The Habaguanex Group has announced that it will be turning an early 20th-century landmark building in Havana, Cuba into a luxury 246-room hotel. The Manzana de Gomez hotel is located in western Old Havana, close to Parque Central, and it is scheduled to open to guests in 2016 complete with an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, and a rooftop terrace.
The Habaguanex Group has announced a joint partnership with Gaviota S.A to transform an old landmark building in Havana into a new luxury hotel.
The hotel will be taking over the former early 20th-century Manzana de Gomez shopping mall which is located at the heart of Old Havana and it will have 246 guest rooms and upscale facilities.
The new Manzana de Gomez hotel is scheduled to open in Cuba's capital city by 2016 and it will offer an indoor gallery with shops, two restaurants, a swimming pool, a rooftop terrace, a modern gym, and glass lifts.
The Swiss luxury hotel brand Kempinski has signed a letter of intent to operate the five-star hotel in Havana, and if successful, this will be the Geneva-based hotel group's first property in the western hemisphere.
Located close to the Parque Central and the landmark Floridita Bar which was a local haunt for Ernest Hemingway, the new luxury hotel will be hold a prime position for tourist looking to explore Havana's Old Town.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and it is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government in a bid to encourage more visitors to explore the historical piazzas and streets.
The Habaguanex group was established in 1994 by the Office of the Historian of Havana and it is in charge of tourism in Old Havana. The company is working closely with Gaviota on two other projects - the Packard Hotel and a hotel on Prado and the Malecon oceanfront boulevard.
The five-storey Manzana de Gomez was built in 1910 and was the first indoor shopping mall in Havana. Over the years, the building has hosted upscale retail stores, offices, embassies, consulates and schools.
Habaguanex operates several hotels in Havana and more than 40 restaurants and cafes in the historic centre of the city.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea that boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and many ancient ruins and preserved sites.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...