Latin stars dazzle at LUKAS Awards 2014 Gala Ceremony
Last night, during the third edition of the Latin UK Awards (LUKAS), the Koko Club in London shone brightly with the dazzling light of the Latin stars who attended the ceremony as award winners, nominees and show performers. Some of The Holiday Place's team members were proudly present as declared Runners Up in the category of Tour Operator of the Year.
The LUKAS Awards 2014 officially wrapped up this year’s edition during a dazzling gala ceremony that took place last night, 30th April at London’s Koko Club, in Camden Town. Attending the event were famous guests, award winners and nominees, various Latin stars and people from the Latin community in London – all uniting to celebrate all that’s great about Hispanic culture and how Hispanics have left their mark in the UK.
I was present at the event, accompanied by a group of colleagues from The Holiday Place who joined in on the celebrations, also to celebrate the fact that we had scooped up the Runners Up position on the Tour Operator of the Year category of the awards.
The evening kicked off with a jaw-dropping performance choreographed by Strictly’s Richard Marcel and performed by some of the LUKAS dance winners. Showcasing the best home-grown Latin talent, the opening medley was a mix of Guaguanco, Salsa, Tango, Samba, Mambo, Flamenco and Kizomba, expertly executed by a mix of Cuban, Colombian and Brazilian dancers.
Amidst various music and dance performances, one by one, the award winners were called onto stage to collect their prize, with many giving a heart-warming speech about the impact of Latin culture in the UK and how Britain allowed them a space to develop their careers and bring the Latin vibe closer to British hearts.
Such was the case of Osvaldo “Ossie” Ardiles, the former Spurs football legend who received a lifetime achievement award and who gave a long, heart-felt speech about starting his sports career in the UK as the pioneering, first ever foreign football player to successfully play for a British team. On the other hand, a young Colombian football player that currently plays for Premier League club, Fulham, Hugo Rodallega, was also present at the awards, drawing plenty of attention among fans and gladly posing for photos with many of them.
Likewise, former model and humanist, Bianca Jagger gave an inspiring speech on her charity work and human right activities for which she has fought a long battle.
Representing Spanish flamenco music and dance, two shining stars were present, one to collect the honorary award for his contribution to British music and the other to perform a flamenco dazzling routine. Paco Peña, the legendary veteran flamenco guitarist collected the LUKAS Fellowship Award while accomplished flamenco dancer, Rafael Amargo gave a captivating live dancing performance.
During my evening at the LUKAS gala, I took the opportunity to shake hands with the likes of the vivacious host, Boris Izaguirre, an accomplished Venezuelan journalist, screen-writer and showman who kept everyone smiling throughout the night, and Bianca Jagger, whom I personally commended on her impressive achievements on the important causes she supports.
The night ended on a high note with the double performance of another award winner, Yan Collazo, the acclaimed salsa singer who joined the London-based salsa group, Sexteto Cafe.
All in all, it was a magical night where the true Latin spirit came to life thanks to the input, talent and livelihood of dozens of astounding performers and the attendance of outstanding personalities in the Latin world and the UK scene.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Perfectly positioned right at the heart of Marrakesh's chic and trendy Hivernage district, a modern neighbourhood in...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...