Latin stars dazzle at LUKAS Awards 2014 Gala Ceremony
Last night, during the third edition of the Latin UK Awards (LUKAS), the Koko Club in London shone brightly with the dazzling light of the Latin stars who attended the ceremony as award winners, nominees and show performers. Some of The Holiday Place's team members were proudly present as declared Runners Up in the category of Tour Operator of the Year.
The LUKAS Awards 2014 officially wrapped up this year’s edition during a dazzling gala ceremony that took place last night, 30th April at London’s Koko Club, in Camden Town. Attending the event were famous guests, award winners and nominees, various Latin stars and people from the Latin community in London – all uniting to celebrate all that’s great about Hispanic culture and how Hispanics have left their mark in the UK.
I was present at the event, accompanied by a group of colleagues from The Holiday Place who joined in on the celebrations, also to celebrate the fact that we had scooped up the Runners Up position on the Tour Operator of the Year category of the awards.
The evening kicked off with a jaw-dropping performance choreographed by Strictly’s Richard Marcel and performed by some of the LUKAS dance winners. Showcasing the best home-grown Latin talent, the opening medley was a mix of Guaguanco, Salsa, Tango, Samba, Mambo, Flamenco and Kizomba, expertly executed by a mix of Cuban, Colombian and Brazilian dancers.
Amidst various music and dance performances, one by one, the award winners were called onto stage to collect their prize, with many giving a heart-warming speech about the impact of Latin culture in the UK and how Britain allowed them a space to develop their careers and bring the Latin vibe closer to British hearts.
Such was the case of Osvaldo “Ossie” Ardiles, the former Spurs football legend who received a lifetime achievement award and who gave a long, heart-felt speech about starting his sports career in the UK as the pioneering, first ever foreign football player to successfully play for a British team. On the other hand, a young Colombian football player that currently plays for Premier League club, Fulham, Hugo Rodallega, was also present at the awards, drawing plenty of attention among fans and gladly posing for photos with many of them.
Likewise, former model and humanist, Bianca Jagger gave an inspiring speech on her charity work and human right activities for which she has fought a long battle.
Representing Spanish flamenco music and dance, two shining stars were present, one to collect the honorary award for his contribution to British music and the other to perform a flamenco dazzling routine. Paco Peña, the legendary veteran flamenco guitarist collected the LUKAS Fellowship Award while accomplished flamenco dancer, Rafael Amargo gave a captivating live dancing performance.
During my evening at the LUKAS gala, I took the opportunity to shake hands with the likes of the vivacious host, Boris Izaguirre, an accomplished Venezuelan journalist, screen-writer and showman who kept everyone smiling throughout the night, and Bianca Jagger, whom I personally commended on her impressive achievements on the important causes she supports.
The night ended on a high note with the double performance of another award winner, Yan Collazo, the acclaimed salsa singer who joined the London-based salsa group, Sexteto Cafe.
All in all, it was a magical night where the true Latin spirit came to life thanks to the input, talent and livelihood of dozens of astounding performers and the attendance of outstanding personalities in the Latin world and the UK scene.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...