Latin stars dazzle at LUKAS Awards 2014 Gala Ceremony
Last night, during the third edition of the Latin UK Awards (LUKAS), the Koko Club in London shone brightly with the dazzling light of the Latin stars who attended the ceremony as award winners, nominees and show performers. Some of The Holiday Place's team members were proudly present as declared Runners Up in the category of Tour Operator of the Year.
The LUKAS Awards 2014 officially wrapped up this year’s edition during a dazzling gala ceremony that took place last night, 30th April at London’s Koko Club, in Camden Town. Attending the event were famous guests, award winners and nominees, various Latin stars and people from the Latin community in London – all uniting to celebrate all that’s great about Hispanic culture and how Hispanics have left their mark in the UK.
I was present at the event, accompanied by a group of colleagues from The Holiday Place who joined in on the celebrations, also to celebrate the fact that we had scooped up the Runners Up position on the Tour Operator of the Year category of the awards.
The evening kicked off with a jaw-dropping performance choreographed by Strictly’s Richard Marcel and performed by some of the LUKAS dance winners. Showcasing the best home-grown Latin talent, the opening medley was a mix of Guaguanco, Salsa, Tango, Samba, Mambo, Flamenco and Kizomba, expertly executed by a mix of Cuban, Colombian and Brazilian dancers.
Amidst various music and dance performances, one by one, the award winners were called onto stage to collect their prize, with many giving a heart-warming speech about the impact of Latin culture in the UK and how Britain allowed them a space to develop their careers and bring the Latin vibe closer to British hearts.
Such was the case of Osvaldo “Ossie” Ardiles, the former Spurs football legend who received a lifetime achievement award and who gave a long, heart-felt speech about starting his sports career in the UK as the pioneering, first ever foreign football player to successfully play for a British team. On the other hand, a young Colombian football player that currently plays for Premier League club, Fulham, Hugo Rodallega, was also present at the awards, drawing plenty of attention among fans and gladly posing for photos with many of them.
Likewise, former model and humanist, Bianca Jagger gave an inspiring speech on her charity work and human right activities for which she has fought a long battle.
Representing Spanish flamenco music and dance, two shining stars were present, one to collect the honorary award for his contribution to British music and the other to perform a flamenco dazzling routine. Paco Peña, the legendary veteran flamenco guitarist collected the LUKAS Fellowship Award while accomplished flamenco dancer, Rafael Amargo gave a captivating live dancing performance.
During my evening at the LUKAS gala, I took the opportunity to shake hands with the likes of the vivacious host, Boris Izaguirre, an accomplished Venezuelan journalist, screen-writer and showman who kept everyone smiling throughout the night, and Bianca Jagger, whom I personally commended on her impressive achievements on the important causes she supports.
The night ended on a high note with the double performance of another award winner, Yan Collazo, the acclaimed salsa singer who joined the London-based salsa group, Sexteto Cafe.
All in all, it was a magical night where the true Latin spirit came to life thanks to the input, talent and livelihood of dozens of astounding performers and the attendance of outstanding personalities in the Latin world and the UK scene.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...