Latin stars dazzle at LUKAS Awards 2014 Gala Ceremony
Last night, during the third edition of the Latin UK Awards (LUKAS), the Koko Club in London shone brightly with the dazzling light of the Latin stars who attended the ceremony as award winners, nominees and show performers. Some of The Holiday Place's team members were proudly present as declared Runners Up in the category of Tour Operator of the Year.
The LUKAS Awards 2014 officially wrapped up this year’s edition during a dazzling gala ceremony that took place last night, 30th April at London’s Koko Club, in Camden Town. Attending the event were famous guests, award winners and nominees, various Latin stars and people from the Latin community in London – all uniting to celebrate all that’s great about Hispanic culture and how Hispanics have left their mark in the UK.
I was present at the event, accompanied by a group of colleagues from The Holiday Place who joined in on the celebrations, also to celebrate the fact that we had scooped up the Runners Up position on the Tour Operator of the Year category of the awards.
The evening kicked off with a jaw-dropping performance choreographed by Strictly’s Richard Marcel and performed by some of the LUKAS dance winners. Showcasing the best home-grown Latin talent, the opening medley was a mix of Guaguanco, Salsa, Tango, Samba, Mambo, Flamenco and Kizomba, expertly executed by a mix of Cuban, Colombian and Brazilian dancers.
Amidst various music and dance performances, one by one, the award winners were called onto stage to collect their prize, with many giving a heart-warming speech about the impact of Latin culture in the UK and how Britain allowed them a space to develop their careers and bring the Latin vibe closer to British hearts.
Such was the case of Osvaldo “Ossie” Ardiles, the former Spurs football legend who received a lifetime achievement award and who gave a long, heart-felt speech about starting his sports career in the UK as the pioneering, first ever foreign football player to successfully play for a British team. On the other hand, a young Colombian football player that currently plays for Premier League club, Fulham, Hugo Rodallega, was also present at the awards, drawing plenty of attention among fans and gladly posing for photos with many of them.
Likewise, former model and humanist, Bianca Jagger gave an inspiring speech on her charity work and human right activities for which she has fought a long battle.
Representing Spanish flamenco music and dance, two shining stars were present, one to collect the honorary award for his contribution to British music and the other to perform a flamenco dazzling routine. Paco Peña, the legendary veteran flamenco guitarist collected the LUKAS Fellowship Award while accomplished flamenco dancer, Rafael Amargo gave a captivating live dancing performance.
During my evening at the LUKAS gala, I took the opportunity to shake hands with the likes of the vivacious host, Boris Izaguirre, an accomplished Venezuelan journalist, screen-writer and showman who kept everyone smiling throughout the night, and Bianca Jagger, whom I personally commended on her impressive achievements on the important causes she supports.
The night ended on a high note with the double performance of another award winner, Yan Collazo, the acclaimed salsa singer who joined the London-based salsa group, Sexteto Cafe.
All in all, it was a magical night where the true Latin spirit came to life thanks to the input, talent and livelihood of dozens of astounding performers and the attendance of outstanding personalities in the Latin world and the UK scene.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...