Latin stars dazzle at LUKAS Awards 2014 Gala Ceremony
Last night, during the third edition of the Latin UK Awards (LUKAS), the Koko Club in London shone brightly with the dazzling light of the Latin stars who attended the ceremony as award winners, nominees and show performers. Some of The Holiday Place's team members were proudly present as declared Runners Up in the category of Tour Operator of the Year.
The LUKAS Awards 2014 officially wrapped up this year’s edition during a dazzling gala ceremony that took place last night, 30th April at London’s Koko Club, in Camden Town. Attending the event were famous guests, award winners and nominees, various Latin stars and people from the Latin community in London – all uniting to celebrate all that’s great about Hispanic culture and how Hispanics have left their mark in the UK.
I was present at the event, accompanied by a group of colleagues from The Holiday Place who joined in on the celebrations, also to celebrate the fact that we had scooped up the Runners Up position on the Tour Operator of the Year category of the awards.
The evening kicked off with a jaw-dropping performance choreographed by Strictly’s Richard Marcel and performed by some of the LUKAS dance winners. Showcasing the best home-grown Latin talent, the opening medley was a mix of Guaguanco, Salsa, Tango, Samba, Mambo, Flamenco and Kizomba, expertly executed by a mix of Cuban, Colombian and Brazilian dancers.
Amidst various music and dance performances, one by one, the award winners were called onto stage to collect their prize, with many giving a heart-warming speech about the impact of Latin culture in the UK and how Britain allowed them a space to develop their careers and bring the Latin vibe closer to British hearts.
Such was the case of Osvaldo “Ossie” Ardiles, the former Spurs football legend who received a lifetime achievement award and who gave a long, heart-felt speech about starting his sports career in the UK as the pioneering, first ever foreign football player to successfully play for a British team. On the other hand, a young Colombian football player that currently plays for Premier League club, Fulham, Hugo Rodallega, was also present at the awards, drawing plenty of attention among fans and gladly posing for photos with many of them.
Likewise, former model and humanist, Bianca Jagger gave an inspiring speech on her charity work and human right activities for which she has fought a long battle.
Representing Spanish flamenco music and dance, two shining stars were present, one to collect the honorary award for his contribution to British music and the other to perform a flamenco dazzling routine. Paco Peña, the legendary veteran flamenco guitarist collected the LUKAS Fellowship Award while accomplished flamenco dancer, Rafael Amargo gave a captivating live dancing performance.
During my evening at the LUKAS gala, I took the opportunity to shake hands with the likes of the vivacious host, Boris Izaguirre, an accomplished Venezuelan journalist, screen-writer and showman who kept everyone smiling throughout the night, and Bianca Jagger, whom I personally commended on her impressive achievements on the important causes she supports.
The night ended on a high note with the double performance of another award winner, Yan Collazo, the acclaimed salsa singer who joined the London-based salsa group, Sexteto Cafe.
All in all, it was a magical night where the true Latin spirit came to life thanks to the input, talent and livelihood of dozens of astounding performers and the attendance of outstanding personalities in the Latin world and the UK scene.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- The first 30 bookings for travel in September or October will also get free upgrades to Sea View rooms in both hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Free Sports including Golf at the 18 hole championship golf course at Le Touessrok Mauriitus
- Enjoy an selection of restaurants and Bar inlcuding s swim up bar
- Ambre resorts has stunning view of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 700-metres long white natural beach
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...