Cancun Prepares for 8th Annual Sacred Mayan Journey in May
Cancun will be celebrating the 8th annual Sacred Mayan Journey next month which marks the ritual pilgrimage carried out by the ancient Mayan people. The event will feature 35 canoes carrying 350 oarsmen and women and tourists visiting the region will be able to watch the rowers and enjoy a visit to a Mayan pre-Hispanic interactive market.
The 8th annual Sacred Mayan Journey will be taking place next month to mark the ritual pilgrimage carried out by ancient Mayans.
The event will involve 35 canoes with 350 oarsmen and women who will depart from ancient Pole, which is now known as Xcaret, in Cancun and make the 17-mile journey to Kuzamil (Cozumel), crossing the Caribbean Sea.
The recreation symbolises the pilgrimage that was carried out every year by ancient Mayan people to worship the goddess of fertility, Ixchel.
Once the pilgrims arrive at Chankannab Park in Cozumel, the islanders will welcome the oarsmen with ceremonial dances and music. In the evening, the participants will visit the sanctuary and present fruit, corn and copal to Ixchel. When the sun rises the next morning, the oarsmen will then meet on the shores of Cozumel to cross the Caribbean Sea back to Xcaret.
Tourists visiting Cancun in May will be able to watch and cheer on the oarsmen and women and they can visit a Mayan pre-Hispanic interactive market where they can absorb traditional Mayan culture. Holidaymakers can exchange their dollars for cocoa beans, (the ancient Mayan form of currency), and they can buy homemade goods and handcrafted gifts such as jewellery, food and clothing.
Cancun is located on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula and the area has 14 miles of beautiful sandy beaches that are fringed with sparkling azure ocean waters where visitors will find an array of diverse marine creatures and a unique underwater museum that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor. The museum is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature.
The region’s ancient Mayan sites are a popular attraction for holidaymakers and the ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, near Cancun, are a fantastic way to discover the region’s history and heritage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
The resort in the heart of Cancun offers the best of both worlds with a variety of sports on offer and a large lagoon-like swimming pool providing the perfect place to relax at oasis cancun
- Oasis Cancun combines superb facilities and relaxing surroundings to create an ideal holiday atmosphere
- Located beside a beautiful stretch of white sand beach in the heart of the Cancun Hotel Zone surrounded by expansive lawns and tropical gardens
- The Resort offers a vast range of sports with unlimited golf, tennis, volleyball and a variety of water sports at the marina
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...