Richard Branson adds Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard to his collection of luxury hotels
Richard Branson's Virgin Limited Edition luxury retreat business has put the steps in motion to acquire the Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard in South Africa. The deal, which is in the preliminary stages, is a major coup for Branson's luxury hotel portfolio that already boasts coveted properties such as Necker Island in the Caribbean.
Renowned entrepreneur Richard Branson has taken the first steps towards purchasing South Africa's exclusive deluxe retreat of Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard. During a recent announcement it was revealed that Sir Branson had signed the preliminary deal for an undisclosed sum of money.
Speaking about the new investment and further detailing his plans to expand to the Virgin collection of hotels and resorts, Sir Branson explained:
"I'm thrilled to be able to announce that we are in the process of purchasing Mont Rochelle and what I'm sure will be a 'must visit' winelands experience in South Africa and a fantastic addition to the Virgin Limited Edition portfolio."
This new deal will be a major coup for Mr. Branson's ever expanding luxury hotel portfolio which already includes another South African resort- the Ulusaba Private Game Reserve as well as the Kasbah Tamadot in Morcoco, The Lodge in Verbier, Sa Terra Rotja in Majorc, a Kenyan safari camp and the well known Caribbean getaway- Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands.
The 22 bedroom Mont Rochelle hotel, founded in 1688, is situated on a vast 39 hectare private estate in the heart of Franschhoek. The property's greatest assets is of course its vineyards which produce Sauvignon Blanc, unwooded Chardonnay, barrel fermented Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz and Rose- making this the perfect escape for wine connoisseurs. Other amenities available include a fitness facility, a plunge pool, a Jacuzzi and a sauna.
Albert Gatare a family member of Mont Rochelle's late owner Miko Rwayitare, was extremely supportive of the acquisition saying:
"It is with warmth that Sir Richard Branson is welcomed as the new owner of this gem in the crown of Franschhoek. With both his and Virgin Limited Edition's ambitious plans for the future of Mont Rochelle, the family of the late Miko Rwayitare is certain that Miko's vision of creating a small slice of heaven on earth will be realized."
It has been announced that the hotel will be closed for refurbishments and will re open in August 2014 where wine lovers from around the world will no doubt flock to this luxurious hotel for an unforgettable experience.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Soak up the natural splendour of the South African Bushveld on an exhilarating adventure, you’ll remember for a lifetime.
Experience the Bushveld in affordable, laidback comfort at the Hannah Game Lodge.
- The Comfortable thatched roof chalet accommodation oozing with South African charm.
- Enjoy activities galore including mountain trails, waterfalls, high ropes and low ropes, sable spotting, bush walks, game drives, archery
- The private nature reserve location
Relaxing and unforgetable experince with 11 nights tour including an excellent range of facilities
- Experience the fruitful lifestyle of the Cape Region
- Discover the spectacular landscapes of the Kruger region
- Travel to Karongwe Private Game Reserve to get exclusive access, day and night, to a wide range of animals including the "Big Five"
Best of Cape Town, Garden Route & Safari tour is your perfect choice to find out about the country, its history and culture.
- Your journey includes 3 exciting game drives to spot Africa's "Big Five": lion, elephant, buffalo, leopard and rhinoceros
- Highlights includes: Cape Town Garden Route seeing the Cango Caves and the Swartberg Mountain, safari game drives, The Winelands, Monkeyland, Knysna Forest and more
- Excellent services included in the tour: 10 days Toyoto Corolla Car rental with GPS and additional driver option
Relax under the tropical sunshine in Mauritius before a spectacular look at South Africa
- Trip Advisor has awarded Lux* Grand Gaube the title of "Best Hotel in the World for Romance".
- Go search of Lion, Elephant, Buffalo, Rhino and Leopard, and all manner of wondrous wildlife, birds and plant species
- Indulge in a rejuvenating treatment at The Source Thalassotherapy and Spa. Lux*
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Sprinkled alongside the tranquil waterways of the picturesque V&A Waterfront Marina, The waterfront village boasts a...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...