Richard Branson adds Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard to his collection of luxury hotels
Richard Branson's Virgin Limited Edition luxury retreat business has put the steps in motion to acquire the Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard in South Africa. The deal, which is in the preliminary stages, is a major coup for Branson's luxury hotel portfolio that already boasts coveted properties such as Necker Island in the Caribbean.
Renowned entrepreneur Richard Branson has taken the first steps towards purchasing South Africa's exclusive deluxe retreat of Mont Rochelle Hotel and Mountain Vineyard. During a recent announcement it was revealed that Sir Branson had signed the preliminary deal for an undisclosed sum of money.
Speaking about the new investment and further detailing his plans to expand to the Virgin collection of hotels and resorts, Sir Branson explained:
"I'm thrilled to be able to announce that we are in the process of purchasing Mont Rochelle and what I'm sure will be a 'must visit' winelands experience in South Africa and a fantastic addition to the Virgin Limited Edition portfolio."
This new deal will be a major coup for Mr. Branson's ever expanding luxury hotel portfolio which already includes another South African resort- the Ulusaba Private Game Reserve as well as the Kasbah Tamadot in Morcoco, The Lodge in Verbier, Sa Terra Rotja in Majorc, a Kenyan safari camp and the well known Caribbean getaway- Necker Island in the British Virgin Islands.
The 22 bedroom Mont Rochelle hotel, founded in 1688, is situated on a vast 39 hectare private estate in the heart of Franschhoek. The property's greatest assets is of course its vineyards which produce Sauvignon Blanc, unwooded Chardonnay, barrel fermented Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Shiraz and Rose- making this the perfect escape for wine connoisseurs. Other amenities available include a fitness facility, a plunge pool, a Jacuzzi and a sauna.
Albert Gatare a family member of Mont Rochelle's late owner Miko Rwayitare, was extremely supportive of the acquisition saying:
"It is with warmth that Sir Richard Branson is welcomed as the new owner of this gem in the crown of Franschhoek. With both his and Virgin Limited Edition's ambitious plans for the future of Mont Rochelle, the family of the late Miko Rwayitare is certain that Miko's vision of creating a small slice of heaven on earth will be realized."
It has been announced that the hotel will be closed for refurbishments and will re open in August 2014 where wine lovers from around the world will no doubt flock to this luxurious hotel for an unforgettable experience.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In South Africa Browse all
Go for the experience of lifetime on this self-driven Kruger route - a classical tour that offers something for everyone with magical views along the way.
- The package includes accommodation in carefully selected 4* properties, meals as well as car hire including a GPS during your entire journey
- The tour is 7 nights and 8 days long with insights into the history of South Africa, cultural diversity, adventure, scenic beauty and unforgettable safaris
- Enjoy 4 game drives including morning and afternoon safaris to see elephants, leopards, lions, rhinos, cheetahs, hippos and many more animals
Indulge yourself with this once in a lifetime South African wilderness experience
- Delight in the well-appointed chalets ensuring a more than comfortable stay
- Enjoy dining Al Fresco with a view that you will cherish for a lifetime
- Treat yourself to a round of Golf with some of the most impressive scenery as your back drop
From the amazing Blyde River Canyon to the iconic table Mountain, this tour has it all!
- Explore the underground Cango Caves at Oudtshoorn
- Visit a real Chief's village in Swaziland
- Go in search of Africa's 'Big Five' in Kruger National Park
Combine the excitement and adventure of South Africa with a luxurius stay in Maritius
- Swim with Dolphins in Mauritius for a simply amazing tropical experience
- Experience a spectacular Ballon Safari at Mabula Game Lodge
- Capture the magic and wonder of the big five in South Africa
Tour Summary South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
Overview South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place where you will find exotic...
HIGHLIGHTS TOUR SAFARI, WINELANDS & CAPE TOWN South Africa is one of the most diverse countries in the world, a place...
Nestled upon the St Lucia Estuary, the elephant lake hotel is surrounded by natural beauty and offers a thrilling array...
Surrounded by more than 8,000 hectares of malaria free, unspoiled African bushveld, the affordable, laidback and...
The “Zebra Country Lodge Reserve” is nestled amongst scenic bushveld mountains, running streams and manicured gardens...