Cancun to promote itself as more than a sun, sea and sand destination
With 14 miles of beaches and sparkling turquoise ocean waters, Cancun has been a popular tourist destination for many years, particularly with American "Spring-breakers" but there is more to this area of Mexico than sun, sea and sand and as such the region wants to further promote its other less famous attractions such as its eco parks, underwater museums, theme parks, and ancient Mayan ruins.
Until 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula that was full of unexplored beaches and mangroves, but in 1970 the region began to be developed into a tourist resort.
Over recent years, Cancun has become a popular destination for “spring breaks” and though it gained a reputation as a party town, the region’s tourism board has been busy turning that around by highlighting its gourmet festivals, museums, and natural wonders.
The area has 14 miles of beautiful sandy beaches that are fringed with sparkling azure ocean waters and it is in these waters here that visitors will find an array of diverse marine creatures and a unique underwater museum that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor.
Located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres, the Museum of Underwater Modern Art is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature. The museum is one of the largest artificial reef attractions in the world and since its opening in 2009 the site has attracted thousands of scuba divers and snorkellers.
Another museum, this time on land, is the Maya Museum, which opened in November 2012 on Boulevard Kukulkan in Cancun’s popular hotel zone.
Tourists can discover a collection of 3,500 pieces that span the archaeology of the state of Quintana Roo and the history of Mayan culture in two of the three exhibit halls. The third hall is used for temporary exhibitions.
The region’s ancient Mayan sites are a popular attraction for holidaymakers and the ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, near Cancun, are a fantastic way to discover the region’s history and heritage.
Cancun is also a great destination for adventure lovers and Maya Jungle Adventure Park is a new eco-park opened in February this year. The attraction offers activity programmes including rappelling down ancient cenotes, snorkelling in underground river systems, tours in off-road vehicles, zip-lining, and kayaking.
The Experiencias Xcaret, is an archaeological-themed park that honours the famous Xochimilco borough of Mexico City which dates back to the pre-Hispanic period.
With a wide range of interconnecting canals, holidaymakers can cruise along on colourful, gondola-style boats called trajineras while enjoying live mariachi music and local Mexican dishes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing in-house performers, complementing the many bars
- Exceptional culinary range offering something for every occasion
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
This legendary Hard Rock Resort is perfect for the whole family on the beautiful shores of Cancun, it even Includes up to $2,500 resort credit for additional extras
- When staying for a minimum of 5 nights between 1st September - 31st October 2017, One child per room can enjoy unlimited playtime free with various inclusions sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Receive up to US$3600 Limitless Resort Credits which can be used towards selected Tours, Golf, Spa, Beauty Salon services, Romantic dinners and much more
- Pamper yourself at the Rock Spa with outdoor Palapa style massage areas
- Choose from 6 restaurants and 5 bars
Enjoy the holiday of a lifetime in Mexico's renowned Cancun coastline lapping up the awesome weather for 8 blissful...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Grand Oasis Cancun is a high class lively all inclusive hotel where you will never experience a dull moment. Situated...
This striking and cutting edge hotel is located south of Cancun on a exquisite stretch of beach.