Cancun to promote itself as more than a sun, sea and sand destination
With 14 miles of beaches and sparkling turquoise ocean waters, Cancun has been a popular tourist destination for many years, particularly with American "Spring-breakers" but there is more to this area of Mexico than sun, sea and sand and as such the region wants to further promote its other less famous attractions such as its eco parks, underwater museums, theme parks, and ancient Mayan ruins.
Until 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula that was full of unexplored beaches and mangroves, but in 1970 the region began to be developed into a tourist resort.
Over recent years, Cancun has become a popular destination for “spring breaks” and though it gained a reputation as a party town, the region’s tourism board has been busy turning that around by highlighting its gourmet festivals, museums, and natural wonders.
The area has 14 miles of beautiful sandy beaches that are fringed with sparkling azure ocean waters and it is in these waters here that visitors will find an array of diverse marine creatures and a unique underwater museum that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor.
Located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres, the Museum of Underwater Modern Art is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature. The museum is one of the largest artificial reef attractions in the world and since its opening in 2009 the site has attracted thousands of scuba divers and snorkellers.
Another museum, this time on land, is the Maya Museum, which opened in November 2012 on Boulevard Kukulkan in Cancun’s popular hotel zone.
Tourists can discover a collection of 3,500 pieces that span the archaeology of the state of Quintana Roo and the history of Mayan culture in two of the three exhibit halls. The third hall is used for temporary exhibitions.
The region’s ancient Mayan sites are a popular attraction for holidaymakers and the ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, near Cancun, are a fantastic way to discover the region’s history and heritage.
Cancun is also a great destination for adventure lovers and Maya Jungle Adventure Park is a new eco-park opened in February this year. The attraction offers activity programmes including rappelling down ancient cenotes, snorkelling in underground river systems, tours in off-road vehicles, zip-lining, and kayaking.
The Experiencias Xcaret, is an archaeological-themed park that honours the famous Xochimilco borough of Mexico City which dates back to the pre-Hispanic period.
With a wide range of interconnecting canals, holidaymakers can cruise along on colourful, gondola-style boats called trajineras while enjoying live mariachi music and local Mexican dishes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Whether you desire tranquil relaxation or round-the-clock excitement, there is plenty on offer to suit all tastes.
- All inclusive programme include unlimited food and beverages, plus access to beautiful gardens and private beaches
- Exceptional culinary range with 18 restaurants as well as 14 different bars offering something for every occasion
- Vibrant nightlife with a nightclub, theatre and various events showcasing the 50+ in-house performers, complementing the many bars
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
The perfect family holiday awaits you at Crown Paradise Club located on the panoramic Cancun beach hotel zone known for...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...