Cancun to promote itself as more than a sun, sea and sand destination
With 14 miles of beaches and sparkling turquoise ocean waters, Cancun has been a popular tourist destination for many years, particularly with American "Spring-breakers" but there is more to this area of Mexico than sun, sea and sand and as such the region wants to further promote its other less famous attractions such as its eco parks, underwater museums, theme parks, and ancient Mayan ruins.
Until 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula that was full of unexplored beaches and mangroves, but in 1970 the region began to be developed into a tourist resort.
Over recent years, Cancun has become a popular destination for “spring breaks” and though it gained a reputation as a party town, the region’s tourism board has been busy turning that around by highlighting its gourmet festivals, museums, and natural wonders.
The area has 14 miles of beautiful sandy beaches that are fringed with sparkling azure ocean waters and it is in these waters here that visitors will find an array of diverse marine creatures and a unique underwater museum that was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor.
Located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres, the Museum of Underwater Modern Art is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and symbolise the relationship between humans and nature. The museum is one of the largest artificial reef attractions in the world and since its opening in 2009 the site has attracted thousands of scuba divers and snorkellers.
Another museum, this time on land, is the Maya Museum, which opened in November 2012 on Boulevard Kukulkan in Cancun’s popular hotel zone.
Tourists can discover a collection of 3,500 pieces that span the archaeology of the state of Quintana Roo and the history of Mayan culture in two of the three exhibit halls. The third hall is used for temporary exhibitions.
The region’s ancient Mayan sites are a popular attraction for holidaymakers and the ruins and temples in Tulum and Chichen Itza, near Cancun, are a fantastic way to discover the region’s history and heritage.
Cancun is also a great destination for adventure lovers and Maya Jungle Adventure Park is a new eco-park opened in February this year. The attraction offers activity programmes including rappelling down ancient cenotes, snorkelling in underground river systems, tours in off-road vehicles, zip-lining, and kayaking.
The Experiencias Xcaret, is an archaeological-themed park that honours the famous Xochimilco borough of Mexico City which dates back to the pre-Hispanic period.
With a wide range of interconnecting canals, holidaymakers can cruise along on colourful, gondola-style boats called trajineras while enjoying live mariachi music and local Mexican dishes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cancun Beach Browse all
Spend a week in Mexican Caribbean paradise with a fabulous all inclusive deal at a price that's hard to resist.
- The perfect location only 25 minutes from the airport and minutes away from downtown Cancun
- Spoil your mind, body and soul with the Spa treatments or benefit from the unlimited access to the Fitness Centre
- Enjoy a varied selection of sports activities and evening entertainment while your kids are having fun at the Kids Club
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Up to two kids go free on selected dates
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape the real world for a while and plunge yourself into the Caribbean paradise of Cancun's all-inclusive, adults-only...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...