Number of visitors to Cuba up by seven per cent during first two months of 2014
The number of international visitors to Cuba in the first two months of 2014 has increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office. In January and February 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island nation, and government officials are expecting receive three million visitors by the end of the year.
Visitor arrivals in Cuba this year are already on the increase according to new figures released by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
During the first two months of 2014, the number of tourists to Cuba increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year.
In January and February, 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island compared to the 593,344 tourists in the same months in 2013.
The figures make up 21 per cent of the 3 million visitors that the Cuba government is expecting to receive by the end of 2014 after it missed that target last year with a total of 2,851,000 visitors.
The majority of holidaymakers who visited Cuba in January and February this year originated from Canada (155,622) while the rest came from France, Germany and Italy.
The country is currently in its holiday high season which runs from November to April and despite restrictions in Cuba travel for American residents, the island remains a very popular Caribbean holiday destination.
The island boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital of Cuba, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
Visitors can enjoy 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba’s only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, while the Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...