Number of visitors to Cuba up by seven per cent during first two months of 2014
The number of international visitors to Cuba in the first two months of 2014 has increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office. In January and February 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island nation, and government officials are expecting receive three million visitors by the end of the year.
Visitor arrivals in Cuba this year are already on the increase according to new figures released by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
During the first two months of 2014, the number of tourists to Cuba increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year.
In January and February, 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island compared to the 593,344 tourists in the same months in 2013.
The figures make up 21 per cent of the 3 million visitors that the Cuba government is expecting to receive by the end of 2014 after it missed that target last year with a total of 2,851,000 visitors.
The majority of holidaymakers who visited Cuba in January and February this year originated from Canada (155,622) while the rest came from France, Germany and Italy.
The country is currently in its holiday high season which runs from November to April and despite restrictions in Cuba travel for American residents, the island remains a very popular Caribbean holiday destination.
The island boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital of Cuba, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
Visitors can enjoy 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba’s only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, while the Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...