Number of visitors to Cuba up by seven per cent during first two months of 2014
The number of international visitors to Cuba in the first two months of 2014 has increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office. In January and February 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island nation, and government officials are expecting receive three million visitors by the end of the year.
Visitor arrivals in Cuba this year are already on the increase according to new figures released by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
During the first two months of 2014, the number of tourists to Cuba increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year.
In January and February, 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island compared to the 593,344 tourists in the same months in 2013.
The figures make up 21 per cent of the 3 million visitors that the Cuba government is expecting to receive by the end of 2014 after it missed that target last year with a total of 2,851,000 visitors.
The majority of holidaymakers who visited Cuba in January and February this year originated from Canada (155,622) while the rest came from France, Germany and Italy.
The country is currently in its holiday high season which runs from November to April and despite restrictions in Cuba travel for American residents, the island remains a very popular Caribbean holiday destination.
The island boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital of Cuba, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
Visitors can enjoy 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba’s only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, while the Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...