Number of visitors to Cuba up by seven per cent during first two months of 2014
The number of international visitors to Cuba in the first two months of 2014 has increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year, according to the National Statistics and Information Office. In January and February 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island nation, and government officials are expecting receive three million visitors by the end of the year.
Visitor arrivals in Cuba this year are already on the increase according to new figures released by the National Statistics and Information Office (ONEI).
During the first two months of 2014, the number of tourists to Cuba increased by seven per cent compared to the same period last year.
In January and February, 2014, 636,146 travellers visited the Caribbean island compared to the 593,344 tourists in the same months in 2013.
The figures make up 21 per cent of the 3 million visitors that the Cuba government is expecting to receive by the end of 2014 after it missed that target last year with a total of 2,851,000 visitors.
The majority of holidaymakers who visited Cuba in January and February this year originated from Canada (155,622) while the rest came from France, Germany and Italy.
The country is currently in its holiday high season which runs from November to April and despite restrictions in Cuba travel for American residents, the island remains a very popular Caribbean holiday destination.
The island boasts stunning natural landscapes such as miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, many historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins and sites.
The capital of Cuba, Havana, is a hotspot for tourists with its cobbled streets, old decaying buildings, Malecon promenade, historic Old Town, and vibrant bars and restaurants.
Visitors can enjoy 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba’s only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park, while the Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system with diverse marine species such as nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...