Havana to host 2014's Red Bull Cliff Diving for the first time ever
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
One of the most shockingly exciting and extreme diving feats, the Cliff Diving World Series, sponsored by Red Bull will be kicking off this year, for the first time ever, in Cuba’s wondrous and historical capital city. The place chosen for this years’ diving edition is the Morro Castle, a magnificent colonial fortress standing high above Havana’s bay. The dramatic drop-off point will be a 27-metre-high platform on the castle, from which this year’s daredevil divers will bravely jump into warm Caribbean waters.
Havana has been chosen as this year’s first hosting city, the one that will inaugurate the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series 2014 on 9th May. The diving competition will take place from 9th to 10th May and the public will be able to take part for free. So, if you happen to be planning Cuba holidays in Havana during the first half of May, this is a one-of-a-kind event not to miss, one that won’t be ticketed with entrance to the spectator area being completely free of charge. You’ll only concern will be arriving early enough to land the best spot to watch the most spectacular diving pirouettes.
This extreme sport, now in its sixth year of running, sees some of the world’s most amazing professional divers battling in out in a series of dives (four per diver to be precise) performed from a height that ranges between 26-28 metres. Every dive will score the diver a determined amount of points depending on the execution, and the sum of all these points, accumulated throughout all four dives, determines the all-round winner as well as the second, third, fourth and fifth position. The top five divers in the overall ranking automatically pre-qualify for the next year’s edition of the Red Bull’s Cliff Diving Series.
A group of judges scores the dives and the 2014 wildcards have already been announced and 16 of these are already confirmed. A total of 70 divers from 12 different countries will participate in this year’s edition without counting the wildcard participants. Up to four wildcards will join the ten permanent divers at each diving stop in 2014. There will be seven stops across three continents and only one champion. Stops include countries in the Caribbean, Europe, North and South America. Out of all these, Havana, Bilbao and Texas are brand new destinations where the event will be launching for the first time. A truly jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and exciting competition if there’s ever been one, so don’t miss it if you can…it’s always a great excuse to plan a holiday around!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...