Havana to host 2014's Red Bull Cliff Diving for the first time ever
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
One of the most shockingly exciting and extreme diving feats, the Cliff Diving World Series, sponsored by Red Bull will be kicking off this year, for the first time ever, in Cuba’s wondrous and historical capital city. The place chosen for this years’ diving edition is the Morro Castle, a magnificent colonial fortress standing high above Havana’s bay. The dramatic drop-off point will be a 27-metre-high platform on the castle, from which this year’s daredevil divers will bravely jump into warm Caribbean waters.
Havana has been chosen as this year’s first hosting city, the one that will inaugurate the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series 2014 on 9th May. The diving competition will take place from 9th to 10th May and the public will be able to take part for free. So, if you happen to be planning Cuba holidays in Havana during the first half of May, this is a one-of-a-kind event not to miss, one that won’t be ticketed with entrance to the spectator area being completely free of charge. You’ll only concern will be arriving early enough to land the best spot to watch the most spectacular diving pirouettes.
This extreme sport, now in its sixth year of running, sees some of the world’s most amazing professional divers battling in out in a series of dives (four per diver to be precise) performed from a height that ranges between 26-28 metres. Every dive will score the diver a determined amount of points depending on the execution, and the sum of all these points, accumulated throughout all four dives, determines the all-round winner as well as the second, third, fourth and fifth position. The top five divers in the overall ranking automatically pre-qualify for the next year’s edition of the Red Bull’s Cliff Diving Series.
A group of judges scores the dives and the 2014 wildcards have already been announced and 16 of these are already confirmed. A total of 70 divers from 12 different countries will participate in this year’s edition without counting the wildcard participants. Up to four wildcards will join the ten permanent divers at each diving stop in 2014. There will be seven stops across three continents and only one champion. Stops include countries in the Caribbean, Europe, North and South America. Out of all these, Havana, Bilbao and Texas are brand new destinations where the event will be launching for the first time. A truly jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and exciting competition if there’s ever been one, so don’t miss it if you can…it’s always a great excuse to plan a holiday around!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Memories Miramar Hotel operates a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana so guests can enjoy the best of the wonderful City's attractions
- Blau Varadero offers fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day and for the health conscious there are various wellness options
- Added extras for couples include a welcome cocktail, private check-in and complimentary massages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...