Havana to host 2014's Red Bull Cliff Diving for the first time ever
For the first time in its six years of existence, the now world-famous Red Bull's Cliff Diving World Series will be partly hosted in Cuba to kick off the competition's 2014 edition. The location selected as the backdrop scenario for this extreme sporting event is the Morro Castle, an iconic fortress standing high above the sea, with cliffs that dramatically drop into the warm Caribbean Sea.
One of the most shockingly exciting and extreme diving feats, the Cliff Diving World Series, sponsored by Red Bull will be kicking off this year, for the first time ever, in Cuba’s wondrous and historical capital city. The place chosen for this years’ diving edition is the Morro Castle, a magnificent colonial fortress standing high above Havana’s bay. The dramatic drop-off point will be a 27-metre-high platform on the castle, from which this year’s daredevil divers will bravely jump into warm Caribbean waters.
Havana has been chosen as this year’s first hosting city, the one that will inaugurate the Red Bull Cliff Diving Series 2014 on 9th May. The diving competition will take place from 9th to 10th May and the public will be able to take part for free. So, if you happen to be planning Cuba holidays in Havana during the first half of May, this is a one-of-a-kind event not to miss, one that won’t be ticketed with entrance to the spectator area being completely free of charge. You’ll only concern will be arriving early enough to land the best spot to watch the most spectacular diving pirouettes.
This extreme sport, now in its sixth year of running, sees some of the world’s most amazing professional divers battling in out in a series of dives (four per diver to be precise) performed from a height that ranges between 26-28 metres. Every dive will score the diver a determined amount of points depending on the execution, and the sum of all these points, accumulated throughout all four dives, determines the all-round winner as well as the second, third, fourth and fifth position. The top five divers in the overall ranking automatically pre-qualify for the next year’s edition of the Red Bull’s Cliff Diving Series.
A group of judges scores the dives and the 2014 wildcards have already been announced and 16 of these are already confirmed. A total of 70 divers from 12 different countries will participate in this year’s edition without counting the wildcard participants. Up to four wildcards will join the ten permanent divers at each diving stop in 2014. There will be seven stops across three continents and only one champion. Stops include countries in the Caribbean, Europe, North and South America. Out of all these, Havana, Bilbao and Texas are brand new destinations where the event will be launching for the first time. A truly jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring and exciting competition if there’s ever been one, so don’t miss it if you can…it’s always a great excuse to plan a holiday around!
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...