Luxor Unveils Two New Statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III
Luxor in Egypt has two new statues to add to its collection of historic sites as archaeologists unveil two statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III. The monoliths have been raised at what experts believe were their original sites in the funerary temple of the king, on the west bank of the Nile which is famous for its existing twin statues of Amenhotep III.
Two “new” statues have been unveiled by archaeologists at the Amenhotep III temple in Egypt.
Two colossal statues of Pharaoh Amenhotep III have been discovered on the famous ancient site in Luxor which is already home to the 3400-year-old Memnon colossi - twin statues of Amenhotep III that are famous all over the world.
European and Egyptian archaeologists said that the statues were raised at their original sites in the funerary temple of the king, on the west bank of the Nile.
“The world until now knew two Memnon colossi, but from today it will know four colossi of Amenhotep III," explained Hourig Sourouzian, a German-Armenian archaeologist who leads the project to conserve the Amenhotep III temple.
The two monoliths in red quartzite have weathered severe damage for many centuries but they have carefully been restored by experts.
"The statues had lain in pieces for centuries in the fields, damaged by destructive forces of nature like earthquake, and later by irrigation water, salt, encroachment and vandalism," added Sourouzian.
"This beautiful temple still has enough for us to study and conserve."
One of the newly discovered statues is 11.5 metres tall, weighs 250 tonnes and shows the pharaoh seated with his hands on his knees. Experts say that in its original state with its now missing crown, the original statue would have weight 450 tonnes and been 13.5 metres tall.
Luxor is an ancient city in Egypt that is bursting with historic sites such as the Valley of the Kings, the temple complexes of Luxor and Karnak, Medinet Habu, the Tombs of the Nobles, and the Ramesseum Temple.
The East and West Banks of the city are divided by the famous River Nile and tourists can enjoy boat trips across the river or go shopping in the markets that are located on the streets leading up to the Temple of Luxor.
The discovery of the new statues will bring a welcome boost to tourism in Luxor and Egypt, following the country’s recent upheaval and political unrest.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Luxor Browse all
Take in magnificent views of the Nile, visit the Karnak Temple and explore the town of Luxor whilst staying in comfort.
- Wide choice of restaurants will please everyone: enjoy the sunset at Sundowner Terrace located direct to the Nile
- A beautiful setting on the banks of the Nile, just 3km from Karnak Temple, and 18km from the airport
- Wonderful for sports enthusiasts, who can combine the wonder of Luxor with an opportunity to play many different sports
Located in the heart of Luxor's tourist district, there is plenty to see and do.
- Luxor Temple, Luxor Museum, Karnak Temple and the Valley of the Kings are easily accessible from the hotel
- A wonderful outdoor pool, where guests can cool off, relax and enjoy the spectacular views of the magnificent Nile. A health club with massage, sauna and fitness room
- A magnificent position right on the banks of the River Nile
Built in 1886 to host nobility, this hotel exudes historic beauty and European charm, with excellent facilities to match
- Superb dining facilities including 1886, an a la carte restaurant, La Corniche for breakfasts and dinner and El Nakheel for snacks by the pool
- The hotel gardens allow guests to relax in beautiful surroundings complete with a large swimming pool or enjoy a cocktail on the terrace as the sun sets over the Nile
- Squash and tennis court as well as live entertainment to cater for all tastes
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
Mena House Hotel lies in the shadow of one of the ancient wonders of the world, the Great Pyramids of Giza. This...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...