Caribbean travel industry welcomes APD changes announced in budget
During his budget presentation this week, George Osborne, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) will be changed next year. After years of campaigning, this is particularly good news for the Caribbean travel industry and all long haul flights departing from the UK will carry the same, lower, band B tax rate.
After years of campaigning, travel organisations and airlines can finally breathe a sigh of relief as the British Chancellor of the Exchequer announced yesterday that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would be reformed from next year.
George Osborne confirmed during his budget presentation to Parliament that a new band B tax rate would be introduced next year for passengers on long haul flights. This is particularly good news for the Caribbean travel industry who has been calling for a return to the two band system and a reduction in APD since 2010.
With the existing APD rates, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class will pay £240 in APD, but the same family taking Caribbean holidays will pay £300, even though Florida is further away from the UK than many countries in the Caribbean.
Mr Osborne explained:
"We will also reform Air Passenger Duty to end the crazy system where you pay less tax travelling to Hawaii than you do travelling to China or India. It hits exports, puts off tourists and creates a great sense of injustice among our Caribbean and South Asian communities here in Britain.
"From next year, all long haul flights will carry the same, lower, band B tax rate that you now pay to fly to the United States."
From 2015, there will be two Bands: Band A for short haul flights, which will remain unchanged and cover a destination 2,000 miles or less from London, and Band B for long haul flights that cover a destination more than 2,000 miles away from London.
This will mean that travellers booking flights to the Caribbean will no longer have to pay higher APD than many other countries which is also great news for hotels, resorts and travel companies in the tropical region who rely on tourism and UK visitors.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...