Lonely Planet lists Costa Rica Lodge at the top of its eco-stays list for 2014
Lonely Planet has listed an eco-lodge in Costa Rica among its top 10 eco-stays for 2014. The Lapa Rios eco-lodge is located in the lush rainforest in the Osa Peninsula and has 16 private bungalows with king size beds, indoor bathroom and showers, and private outdoor decks with rain showers and hammocks.
As Earth Hour, Earth Day and World Water Day approaches, many travellers are thinking of more eco-friendly destinations to visit for their holidays.
Lonely Planet has compiled a list of top 10 eco-stays for 2014 and an eco-lodge in Costa Rica has been placed at the top of the list.
Located in the heart of a lowland lush rainforest on the Osa Peninsula, the Lapa Rios Eco-lodge has 16 private bungalows dotted along three ridges that are situated 350 feet above sea level and overlook the ocean.
The bungalows have been built using locally-sourced natural materials and have king size beds and indoor bathroom and showers, and private outdoor decks with rain showers and hammocks. With no TVs, Internet or radios to distract them, guests are encouraged to embrace the natural surroundings that can be absorbed through their open-air accommodation.
During eco-friendly holidays, guests can catch sightings of the country's diverse wildlife including monkeys, macaws, pumas, toucans, tree frogs and colourful birds. Tourists can also enjoy guided rainforest treks, bird-watching, kayaking, surfing and whale watching.
Facilities at the Costa Rica eco-lodge include a salt-based swimming pool with views overlooking the Pacific Ocean; a guide hut where guests can read about the area's biodiversity with the help of trained guides; the open-air Brisa Azul restaurant with delicious food and breathtaking views of the rainforest; and an intimate spa that offers views of the ocean and jungle, as well as a range of pampering treatments and massages such as Zen Shiatsu, Ayurvedic, Reiki, and Core Integration.
Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, soaring mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
Lonely Planet's Top 10 Eco-Stays for 2014 include Lapa Rios in Costa Rica, Bulungula Backpackers in South Africa, Chole Mjini in Tanzania, Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel in Peru, EcoLodge Chepu Adventures in Chile, Maison Anglaise in Morocco, Earthship Rentals in New Mexico, Dana Guest House in Jordan, Nuli Sapi in Papua New Guinea, and Baikaler Eco-Hostel in Russia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...