New Lisbon-Varadero flights scheduled for summer 2014
Travellers from Europe will be able to access direct charter flights to the popular beach resort of Varadero in Cuba from Portugal's capital from August, 2014 after an agreement was signed by Zoom Travel, White Airways and Empty Leg. There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon during the summer months, which may then be extended until January 2015.
The beach resort of Varadero will be more accessible for European travellers this summer after an agreement was signed to offer charter flights between Portugal and the Cuban resort from August, 2014.
The weekly flights to Varadero in Cuba will commence on 6th August, 2014, departing from Portugal's capital, Lisbon.
The agreement was signed earlier this week by the general director of Zoom Travel Paulo Oliveira, Luis Ovidio, the President of the Directive Board of White Airways, and Empty Leg Commercial Director Licelia Ferreira, in the presence of Cuba's Ambassador, Johana Tablada.
There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon this summer and the flights to Cuba may then be extended until January, 2015.
The Cuban ambassador said that approximately 1,940 Portuguese tourists visited the Caribbean nation last year, which was an increase compared to 2012.
In 2013, more than two million visitor arrivals were recorded in Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The new Varadero flights will bring up to 3,555 passengers to Cuba this summer, enabling Portuguese tourists to visit the Caribbean island's tourist attractions, sites and historic cities.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of Cuba. The coastal resort is home to more than 20km of pristine white sandy beaches and stunning natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays.
Holidaymakers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf games, and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to explore and shop at open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurant. Varadero beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm cobalt waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
With a collection of museums, pristine beaches, nature parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, Varadero is a popular tourist destination for visitors of all ages.
Travellers who want to explore the area's natural wonders can head to the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve that boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with diverse flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
Tourists can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves, and the Patriarch - the Giant Cactus - which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...