New Lisbon-Varadero flights scheduled for summer 2014
Travellers from Europe will be able to access direct charter flights to the popular beach resort of Varadero in Cuba from Portugal's capital from August, 2014 after an agreement was signed by Zoom Travel, White Airways and Empty Leg. There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon during the summer months, which may then be extended until January 2015.
The beach resort of Varadero will be more accessible for European travellers this summer after an agreement was signed to offer charter flights between Portugal and the Cuban resort from August, 2014.
The weekly flights to Varadero in Cuba will commence on 6th August, 2014, departing from Portugal's capital, Lisbon.
The agreement was signed earlier this week by the general director of Zoom Travel Paulo Oliveira, Luis Ovidio, the President of the Directive Board of White Airways, and Empty Leg Commercial Director Licelia Ferreira, in the presence of Cuba's Ambassador, Johana Tablada.
There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon this summer and the flights to Cuba may then be extended until January, 2015.
The Cuban ambassador said that approximately 1,940 Portuguese tourists visited the Caribbean nation last year, which was an increase compared to 2012.
In 2013, more than two million visitor arrivals were recorded in Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The new Varadero flights will bring up to 3,555 passengers to Cuba this summer, enabling Portuguese tourists to visit the Caribbean island's tourist attractions, sites and historic cities.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of Cuba. The coastal resort is home to more than 20km of pristine white sandy beaches and stunning natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays.
Holidaymakers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf games, and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to explore and shop at open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurant. Varadero beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm cobalt waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
With a collection of museums, pristine beaches, nature parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, Varadero is a popular tourist destination for visitors of all ages.
Travellers who want to explore the area's natural wonders can head to the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve that boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with diverse flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
Tourists can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves, and the Patriarch - the Giant Cactus - which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...