New Lisbon-Varadero flights scheduled for summer 2014
Travellers from Europe will be able to access direct charter flights to the popular beach resort of Varadero in Cuba from Portugal's capital from August, 2014 after an agreement was signed by Zoom Travel, White Airways and Empty Leg. There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon during the summer months, which may then be extended until January 2015.
The beach resort of Varadero will be more accessible for European travellers this summer after an agreement was signed to offer charter flights between Portugal and the Cuban resort from August, 2014.
The weekly flights to Varadero in Cuba will commence on 6th August, 2014, departing from Portugal's capital, Lisbon.
The agreement was signed earlier this week by the general director of Zoom Travel Paulo Oliveira, Luis Ovidio, the President of the Directive Board of White Airways, and Empty Leg Commercial Director Licelia Ferreira, in the presence of Cuba's Ambassador, Johana Tablada.
There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon this summer and the flights to Cuba may then be extended until January, 2015.
The Cuban ambassador said that approximately 1,940 Portuguese tourists visited the Caribbean nation last year, which was an increase compared to 2012.
In 2013, more than two million visitor arrivals were recorded in Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The new Varadero flights will bring up to 3,555 passengers to Cuba this summer, enabling Portuguese tourists to visit the Caribbean island's tourist attractions, sites and historic cities.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of Cuba. The coastal resort is home to more than 20km of pristine white sandy beaches and stunning natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays.
Holidaymakers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf games, and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to explore and shop at open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurant. Varadero beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm cobalt waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
With a collection of museums, pristine beaches, nature parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, Varadero is a popular tourist destination for visitors of all ages.
Travellers who want to explore the area's natural wonders can head to the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve that boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with diverse flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
Tourists can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves, and the Patriarch - the Giant Cactus - which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...