New Lisbon-Varadero flights scheduled for summer 2014
Travellers from Europe will be able to access direct charter flights to the popular beach resort of Varadero in Cuba from Portugal's capital from August, 2014 after an agreement was signed by Zoom Travel, White Airways and Empty Leg. There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon during the summer months, which may then be extended until January 2015.
The beach resort of Varadero will be more accessible for European travellers this summer after an agreement was signed to offer charter flights between Portugal and the Cuban resort from August, 2014.
The weekly flights to Varadero in Cuba will commence on 6th August, 2014, departing from Portugal's capital, Lisbon.
The agreement was signed earlier this week by the general director of Zoom Travel Paulo Oliveira, Luis Ovidio, the President of the Directive Board of White Airways, and Empty Leg Commercial Director Licelia Ferreira, in the presence of Cuba's Ambassador, Johana Tablada.
There will be 15 departures available from Lisbon this summer and the flights to Cuba may then be extended until January, 2015.
The Cuban ambassador said that approximately 1,940 Portuguese tourists visited the Caribbean nation last year, which was an increase compared to 2012.
In 2013, more than two million visitor arrivals were recorded in Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The new Varadero flights will bring up to 3,555 passengers to Cuba this summer, enabling Portuguese tourists to visit the Caribbean island's tourist attractions, sites and historic cities.
Varadero is situated in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of Cuba. The coastal resort is home to more than 20km of pristine white sandy beaches and stunning natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and idyllic virgin cays.
Holidaymakers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities, sailing, deep sea fishing, golf games, and excursions to Cardenas City.
Varadero town is a great place to explore and shop at open air markets or dine at gourmet restaurant. Varadero beach, also known as the "Blue Beach" because of its warm calm cobalt waters, is a great place to pick up some authentic handicrafts from beach vendors.
With a collection of museums, pristine beaches, nature parks and fun attractions including the Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, Varadero is a popular tourist destination for visitors of all ages.
Travellers who want to explore the area's natural wonders can head to the Varahicacos Ecological Reserve that boasts 124 acres of lush forests that are thriving with diverse flora and fauna, mangroves, and an abundance of wildlife such as lizards, butterflies, and mollusc shelters.
Tourists can also visit the area's archaeological and pictographic sites which are home to a collection of caves, and the Patriarch - the Giant Cactus - which is said to be the oldest tree in Cuba and sits intact between two large hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...