Cuba received more than 84,000 Mexicans tourists in 2013
Alicia Perez, the Tourism Counsellor at Cuba's embassy has announced that approximately 84,700 Mexican tourists visited Cuba in 2013, marking an 8.1 per cent increase. The tourism official said that the Caribbean island nation is expecting to receive 100,000 Mexican holidaymakers by the end of this year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba received over 84,000 visitors from Mexico in 2013 according to the Tourism Counsellor of Cuba's Embassy, Alicia Perez.
The arrivals mark an 8.1 per cent growth compared to previous years and the tourism official said that Cuba is expecting to record approximately 100,000 tourists from Mexico by the end of 2014.
Perez said that Cuba's Tourism Office will increase its promotion of the island as well as it increase air transportation between the two countries to make it easier for visitors to travel to the island's beach resorts and historic cities.
Additional flights to Cuba will be added by Cubana de Aviacion, Aeromexico and Interjet airlines for Holy Week and charter flights with Aeromexico from Monterrey and Mexico City will also be available.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The Caribbean island has plenty of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins.
Some of the most popular tourist destinations include Havana, the city's bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling.
The city of Havana boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape to the coast for sunshine and relaxation can enjoy more than 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba's only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system. The turquoise waters offers superb conditions for scuba diving and visitors can experience sightings of an array of marine species including nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...