Cuba received more than 84,000 Mexicans tourists in 2013
Alicia Perez, the Tourism Counsellor at Cuba's embassy has announced that approximately 84,700 Mexican tourists visited Cuba in 2013, marking an 8.1 per cent increase. The tourism official said that the Caribbean island nation is expecting to receive 100,000 Mexican holidaymakers by the end of this year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba received over 84,000 visitors from Mexico in 2013 according to the Tourism Counsellor of Cuba's Embassy, Alicia Perez.
The arrivals mark an 8.1 per cent growth compared to previous years and the tourism official said that Cuba is expecting to record approximately 100,000 tourists from Mexico by the end of 2014.
Perez said that Cuba's Tourism Office will increase its promotion of the island as well as it increase air transportation between the two countries to make it easier for visitors to travel to the island's beach resorts and historic cities.
Additional flights to Cuba will be added by Cubana de Aviacion, Aeromexico and Interjet airlines for Holy Week and charter flights with Aeromexico from Monterrey and Mexico City will also be available.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The Caribbean island has plenty of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins.
Some of the most popular tourist destinations include Havana, the city's bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling.
The city of Havana boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape to the coast for sunshine and relaxation can enjoy more than 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba's only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system. The turquoise waters offers superb conditions for scuba diving and visitors can experience sightings of an array of marine species including nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...