Cuba received more than 84,000 Mexicans tourists in 2013
Alicia Perez, the Tourism Counsellor at Cuba's embassy has announced that approximately 84,700 Mexican tourists visited Cuba in 2013, marking an 8.1 per cent increase. The tourism official said that the Caribbean island nation is expecting to receive 100,000 Mexican holidaymakers by the end of this year.
The Caribbean island of Cuba received over 84,000 visitors from Mexico in 2013 according to the Tourism Counsellor of Cuba's Embassy, Alicia Perez.
The arrivals mark an 8.1 per cent growth compared to previous years and the tourism official said that Cuba is expecting to record approximately 100,000 tourists from Mexico by the end of 2014.
Perez said that Cuba's Tourism Office will increase its promotion of the island as well as it increase air transportation between the two countries to make it easier for visitors to travel to the island's beach resorts and historic cities.
Additional flights to Cuba will be added by Cubana de Aviacion, Aeromexico and Interjet airlines for Holy Week and charter flights with Aeromexico from Monterrey and Mexico City will also be available.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority originating from Canada and Europe.
The Caribbean island has plenty of beautiful landscapes and sites for international visitors to enjoy, such as miles of pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, historic towns and cities, and ancient ruins.
Some of the most popular tourist destinations include Havana, the city's bustling capital; Varadero, the beach resort town; and Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling.
The city of Havana boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape to the coast for sunshine and relaxation can enjoy more than 20km of white sandy beaches in Varadero, as well as Cuba's only full golf course, impressive caves and the Hicacos Point Natural Park.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is home to crystal clear azure ocean waters and a spectacular barrier reef system. The turquoise waters offers superb conditions for scuba diving and visitors can experience sightings of an array of marine species including nurse sharks, stingrays, green morays, sea turtles, jewfish, Atlantic spadefish and barracuda.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...