American residents embrace Cuba through people-to-people programmes
Following a recent study, the U.S tour operator Friendly Planet has revealed that the majority of its clients who visited Cuba under its people-to-people programme would like to return to the island if they had the opportunity. The tour enables Americans and Cubans to exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
The "people-to-people" programme to Cuba offered by U.S tour operator Friendly Planet is proving to be a hit with travellers according to the results of a recent survey.
The Pennsylvania-based tour company carried out a survey on clients who went on the organised tour to Cuba and discovered that 81.3 per cent of the travellers said they would return to Cuba if given the chance.
Peggy Goldman, the President of Friendly Planet, commented:
"This is the highest level of interest in revisiting a location that I have ever seen for any of our tours."
She explained that although the accommodation was not of the highest standards and the daily itineraries and their schedules were busy and challenging, the majority of the clients were keen to find out more about life in a country that has been off limits to most Americans for more than 50 years.
Itineraries must comply fully with U.S. rules barring sun-and-sand tourism, and encouraging tourists to engage with the culture and residents of the island.
The Cuba people people-to-people programme has been designed to help Americans and Cubans exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
Goldman also added:
"Travellers on these programmes are not going for luxury or comfort. They are going to interact and immerse themselves in a completely different culture."
In 2011, President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel for American residents and now U.S travellers can visit the Caribbean island through licensed tour operators for cultural, educational, academic and religious purposes.
In September, 2011, Friendly Planet received its license from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
After the trip, 88 per cent of the tour operator's clients said that the experience has made them more likely to support the end of the 50-year-old embargo, and many of them were surprised by how friendly and open the people of Cuba were to the Americans.
"This illustrates for us that the people-to-people experience opens minds, expands horizons and allows people to look past politics and into the hearts and souls of individuals."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...