American residents embrace Cuba through people-to-people programmes
Following a recent study, the U.S tour operator Friendly Planet has revealed that the majority of its clients who visited Cuba under its people-to-people programme would like to return to the island if they had the opportunity. The tour enables Americans and Cubans to exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
The "people-to-people" programme to Cuba offered by U.S tour operator Friendly Planet is proving to be a hit with travellers according to the results of a recent survey.
The Pennsylvania-based tour company carried out a survey on clients who went on the organised tour to Cuba and discovered that 81.3 per cent of the travellers said they would return to Cuba if given the chance.
Peggy Goldman, the President of Friendly Planet, commented:
"This is the highest level of interest in revisiting a location that I have ever seen for any of our tours."
She explained that although the accommodation was not of the highest standards and the daily itineraries and their schedules were busy and challenging, the majority of the clients were keen to find out more about life in a country that has been off limits to most Americans for more than 50 years.
Itineraries must comply fully with U.S. rules barring sun-and-sand tourism, and encouraging tourists to engage with the culture and residents of the island.
The Cuba people people-to-people programme has been designed to help Americans and Cubans exchange ideas, share cultural experiences and learn from one another.
Goldman also added:
"Travellers on these programmes are not going for luxury or comfort. They are going to interact and immerse themselves in a completely different culture."
In 2011, President Obama eased restriction on Cuba travel for American residents and now U.S travellers can visit the Caribbean island through licensed tour operators for cultural, educational, academic and religious purposes.
In September, 2011, Friendly Planet received its license from the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
After the trip, 88 per cent of the tour operator's clients said that the experience has made them more likely to support the end of the 50-year-old embargo, and many of them were surprised by how friendly and open the people of Cuba were to the Americans.
"This illustrates for us that the people-to-people experience opens minds, expands horizons and allows people to look past politics and into the hearts and souls of individuals."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...