Tourism revenues in Cuba in 2013 exceed $1.8 billion
According to the National Statistics Office, tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion in 2013. The Caribbean island nation received a modest increase in visitor arrivals last year with just over two million tourists visiting the country and the majority of holidaymakers originating from Canada.
The Caribbean island of Cuba recorded an increase in tourism revenues in 2013 according to the National Statistics Office. Tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion last year, despite only a modest increase in visitor arrivals, and the figures exceed those recorded in 2012.
In 2013, Cuba received 2,000,852 visitors and while there was a slump in arrivals in the middle of the year, this picked up in the high season. The majority of tourists visiting the beautiful island originated from Canada.
The total occupancy rate in tourist hotels and attractions was nearly six per cent below previous reports, according to the National Statistics Office, averaging at 45 per cent.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors visiting Cuba has significantly increased. During the first nine months of 2009, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
In 2011, U.S President Obama relaxed Cuba travel laws for American residents and since then the number of Americans taking visiting the island through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Kuoni recently revealed the results of its Travel Edit 2014 where Cuba emerged as one of three of the fastest-growing long-haul holiday destinations for this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...