Tourism revenues in Cuba in 2013 exceed $1.8 billion
According to the National Statistics Office, tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion in 2013. The Caribbean island nation received a modest increase in visitor arrivals last year with just over two million tourists visiting the country and the majority of holidaymakers originating from Canada.
The Caribbean island of Cuba recorded an increase in tourism revenues in 2013 according to the National Statistics Office. Tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion last year, despite only a modest increase in visitor arrivals, and the figures exceed those recorded in 2012.
In 2013, Cuba received 2,000,852 visitors and while there was a slump in arrivals in the middle of the year, this picked up in the high season. The majority of tourists visiting the beautiful island originated from Canada.
The total occupancy rate in tourist hotels and attractions was nearly six per cent below previous reports, according to the National Statistics Office, averaging at 45 per cent.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors visiting Cuba has significantly increased. During the first nine months of 2009, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
In 2011, U.S President Obama relaxed Cuba travel laws for American residents and since then the number of Americans taking visiting the island through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Kuoni recently revealed the results of its Travel Edit 2014 where Cuba emerged as one of three of the fastest-growing long-haul holiday destinations for this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...