Tourism revenues in Cuba in 2013 exceed $1.8 billion
According to the National Statistics Office, tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion in 2013. The Caribbean island nation received a modest increase in visitor arrivals last year with just over two million tourists visiting the country and the majority of holidaymakers originating from Canada.
The Caribbean island of Cuba recorded an increase in tourism revenues in 2013 according to the National Statistics Office. Tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion last year, despite only a modest increase in visitor arrivals, and the figures exceed those recorded in 2012.
In 2013, Cuba received 2,000,852 visitors and while there was a slump in arrivals in the middle of the year, this picked up in the high season. The majority of tourists visiting the beautiful island originated from Canada.
The total occupancy rate in tourist hotels and attractions was nearly six per cent below previous reports, according to the National Statistics Office, averaging at 45 per cent.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors visiting Cuba has significantly increased. During the first nine months of 2009, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
In 2011, U.S President Obama relaxed Cuba travel laws for American residents and since then the number of Americans taking visiting the island through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Kuoni recently revealed the results of its Travel Edit 2014 where Cuba emerged as one of three of the fastest-growing long-haul holiday destinations for this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...