Tourism revenues in Cuba in 2013 exceed $1.8 billion
According to the National Statistics Office, tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion in 2013. The Caribbean island nation received a modest increase in visitor arrivals last year with just over two million tourists visiting the country and the majority of holidaymakers originating from Canada.
The Caribbean island of Cuba recorded an increase in tourism revenues in 2013 according to the National Statistics Office. Tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion last year, despite only a modest increase in visitor arrivals, and the figures exceed those recorded in 2012.
In 2013, Cuba received 2,000,852 visitors and while there was a slump in arrivals in the middle of the year, this picked up in the high season. The majority of tourists visiting the beautiful island originated from Canada.
The total occupancy rate in tourist hotels and attractions was nearly six per cent below previous reports, according to the National Statistics Office, averaging at 45 per cent.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors visiting Cuba has significantly increased. During the first nine months of 2009, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
In 2011, U.S President Obama relaxed Cuba travel laws for American residents and since then the number of Americans taking visiting the island through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Kuoni recently revealed the results of its Travel Edit 2014 where Cuba emerged as one of three of the fastest-growing long-haul holiday destinations for this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...