Tourism revenues in Cuba in 2013 exceed $1.8 billion
According to the National Statistics Office, tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion in 2013. The Caribbean island nation received a modest increase in visitor arrivals last year with just over two million tourists visiting the country and the majority of holidaymakers originating from Canada.
The Caribbean island of Cuba recorded an increase in tourism revenues in 2013 according to the National Statistics Office. Tourism revenues in Cuba reached more than $1.8 billion last year, despite only a modest increase in visitor arrivals, and the figures exceed those recorded in 2012.
In 2013, Cuba received 2,000,852 visitors and while there was a slump in arrivals in the middle of the year, this picked up in the high season. The majority of tourists visiting the beautiful island originated from Canada.
The total occupancy rate in tourist hotels and attractions was nearly six per cent below previous reports, according to the National Statistics Office, averaging at 45 per cent.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, virgin cays, an array of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital city, Havana, the stunning Jardines del Rey archipelago, the Spanish Colonial city of Trinidad, and the beach resort of Varadero.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors visiting Cuba has significantly increased. During the first nine months of 2009, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
In 2011, U.S President Obama relaxed Cuba travel laws for American residents and since then the number of Americans taking visiting the island through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Kuoni recently revealed the results of its Travel Edit 2014 where Cuba emerged as one of three of the fastest-growing long-haul holiday destinations for this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...