Dominican Republic named "Top Caribbean Destination of the Year" by Expedia
The Dominican Republic has been named as the "Top Destination of the Year, Caribbean" by Expedia.com at the recent Caribbean Hotel Association Marketplace in Jamaica. The Caribbean nation was awarded the prestigious title for its overall performance after it received more than 4.6 million visitors last year and has recorded a 33 per cent increase in demand.
Travel group Expedia has named the Dominican Republic as the "Caribbean's Top Destination of the Year".
Last year, the Dominican Republic received a record 4.6 million visitors and a 33 per cent increase in demand, making it the leading Caribbean country in overall performance.
The award was present by Gay Miller, the Senior Business Development Director for Expedia's Business Solutions, and Demetrious Canton, Expedia's Market Director for the Caribbean, during the recent Caribbean Hotel Association Marketplace that took place in Jamaica.
The Caribbean nation has become a hotspot for holidaymakers and more than 1.5 million American tourists visited the country over the past 12 months, which makes up 34 per cent of the total number of visitors.
Magaly Toribio, the Marketing Advisor for the Dominican Republic Ministry of Tourism, stated:
"We are extremely delighted with the ever-increasing growth of visitors who seek our breathtaking scenery and captivating culture. The efforts of the Ministry of Tourism exemplify our commitment to a strategic marketing plan and execution to further boost tourism arrivals."
Over the past year, the Dominican Republic's tourism and government officials have worked together to provide more hotel rooms, additional direct flights and new attrractions to keep up with the demand.
The nation is located on the island of Hispaniola situated in the Caribbean Sea. The country occupies the eastern two thirds of the island and the remaining third belongs to the nation of Haiti.
With a plethora of stunning landscapes and natural scenery made up of white sand palm-fringed beaches, turquoise ocean waters, rolling green hills, winding valleys, cascading waterfalls, and majestic mountains, it's no wonder why the country is such as favourite for tourists from all over the globe.
The most popular destination in the country is Punta Cana on the east coast of the island due to its world-class golf resorts, designer championship golf courses and stunning beaches. The turquoise ocean provides plenty of opportunities for scuba diving, snorkelling swimming, windsurfing, sailing and deep-sea fishing adventures, while the Bavaro area is home to the famous Bavaro Beach and a collection of luxury hotels, casinos, boutique shops, gourmet restaurants and stylish bars.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy luxury with a 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy the relaxed vibes of the all inclusive resort in Punta Cana, complete with exclusive extras for couples!
- Enjoy a la carte cuisine in La Gondola, La perla or grills at media luna
- The resort is set in a picturesque location beside a secluded stretch of beach at Punta Cana
- Receive a 10% discount at the hotel spa
This all inclusive resort provides luxurious holidaying at its very best with a true Dominican flavour
- Boasting a wonderful location, immaculate tropical gardens, and a stunning stretch of beach
- A choice of six specialty restaurants featuring Mexican, Oriental, Steak House and more
- Honeymoon couples receive a bottle of champagne, fruit basket and a romantic dinner
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
A holiday on the picturesque beaches of the Dominican Republic is what most everyone dreams about. Make your dreams come...
Enjoy the best of the Dominican Republic with a holiday at Bayahibe, a resort town choke full of attractions. Beside...
Beautifully located on the Dominican Republic´s lush southeast coast, Casa de Campo is a magnificent eco-friendly...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...