Costa Rica received more than 2.4 million holidaymakers in 2013
Costa Rica received record number visitor arrivals last year after figures were released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board last month. The Central American country is a popular destination for eco-friendly getaways and in 2013, more than 2.4 million tourists visited the nation that is home to lush rainforests and jungles, pristine beaches, and soaring volcanoes.
More than 2.4 million tourists visited the Central American country, Costa Rica, last year, according to figures released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board last month.
Costa Rica has become an increasingly popular tourist destination due to its eco-friendly offerings and breathtaking natural landscapes. Last year's international visitor numbers reached 2,427,941, which was a 3.6 per cent increase compared to 2012.
The tourism board's report showed that 39 per cent of tourists in Costa Rica originated from the United States, while 12.4 per cent came from Europe, and the remaining visitors from other parts of Central America, South America and the rest of the world.
Despite the increase in holidaymakers, the National Tourism Chamber (CANATUR) said they were not happy with 3.6 per cent growth. Isabel Vargas, the President of CANATUR, stated:
"We always consider any increase in the number of visitors as positive, but we can't say we're satisfied – it's not enough. Costa Rica has the natural conditions and a tourist product to attract more travellers than those who are coming now."
Tourism in Costa Rica has increase by 15.6 per cent in the four years of President Laura Chinchilla's administration.
Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, soaring mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which is home to beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Costa Rica has also been ranked the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index for several years in a row.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the peaceful oasis that is Costa Rica and enjoy various activities that make for an unforgettable holiday
- A journey of discovery to an eco -tourist dream destination
- This unique experience of canopy walkways allows you to experience the virgin cloud forest treetops. Through a bridge system you can marvel at the world's most amazing and beautiful flora and fauna
- San Jose, Arenal, and the conservation project in Monteverde
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Book in any Preferred Club Room and receive the Free to Explore package including a Nicaragua Tour and Much more
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
- Both kids and teens can mingle at our Explorers Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia.
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...