Costa Rica received more than 2.4 million holidaymakers in 2013
Costa Rica received record number visitor arrivals last year after figures were released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board last month. The Central American country is a popular destination for eco-friendly getaways and in 2013, more than 2.4 million tourists visited the nation that is home to lush rainforests and jungles, pristine beaches, and soaring volcanoes.
More than 2.4 million tourists visited the Central American country, Costa Rica, last year, according to figures released by the Costa Rica Tourism Board last month.
Costa Rica has become an increasingly popular tourist destination due to its eco-friendly offerings and breathtaking natural landscapes. Last year's international visitor numbers reached 2,427,941, which was a 3.6 per cent increase compared to 2012.
The tourism board's report showed that 39 per cent of tourists in Costa Rica originated from the United States, while 12.4 per cent came from Europe, and the remaining visitors from other parts of Central America, South America and the rest of the world.
Despite the increase in holidaymakers, the National Tourism Chamber (CANATUR) said they were not happy with 3.6 per cent growth. Isabel Vargas, the President of CANATUR, stated:
"We always consider any increase in the number of visitors as positive, but we can't say we're satisfied – it's not enough. Costa Rica has the natural conditions and a tourist product to attract more travellers than those who are coming now."
Tourism in Costa Rica has increase by 15.6 per cent in the four years of President Laura Chinchilla's administration.
Costa Rica is home to some of the world's most breathtaking natural scenery made up of lush rainforests, volcanoes, soaring mountains, unspoilt beaches, and cascading waterfalls.
The nation has gained a reputation as destination for green holidays and fun eco adventures and tourists can enjoy an array of adrenalin-pumping activities such as adventurous activities such as trekking, surfing, scuba diving, climbing, rafting, kayaking, mountain biking and horse riding.
One of the most popular regions is Guanacaste which boasts an array of pristine white sand beaches and the thriving Rincon de la Vieja National Park which is home to beautiful cascading waterfalls and a variety of wildlife species such as monkeys, sloths, tapirs, wild cats and hundreds of colourful birds.
Costa Rica has also been ranked the happiest place in the world in the New Economics Foundation's Happy Planet Index for several years in a row.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Explorer's Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest, a country renowned for its beaches, volcanoes, and biodiversity
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury; gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more all included
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your immersive tour
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Explore the tropical paradise that is Costa Rica with it's misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with...
The Hidden Jewels of Costa Rica Tour lets you explore the tropical paradise of Costa Rica and all of it's most...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...