ASUR to invest $28 million in Mexico's Cozumel Airport
Mexico's private airport operator ASUR has announced plans for a major investment aimed at improving the facilities and infrastructure at the Cozumel airport. The company has stated that it will be investing $28 million dollars in the Cozumel airport between 2014 and 2028.
Mexico's first privatised airport group, ASUR, recently announced plans for a $28 million dollar investment in Cozumel Airport (CZN) between now and the year 2028.
The announcement came as ASUR unveiled its "Master Development Plan" for the nine airports it operates in south east Mexico. According to Armando Gamboa, director at Cozumel Airport, the plan, which has been approved by Mexico's Ministry for Communications and Transport, will allow for maintenance and improvement works to be carried out at the airport.
So far the key priorities for the remodelling and maintenance work are the remodelling of the arrival and departure areas, the creation of a new façade and signalling as well as an extended walkway roof to protect passengers from the sun and rain as they board their flights. Mr Gamboa stated in a recent interview that more details would be released in the future.
It has been a busy month for ASUR as the company also released its passenger traffic figures for January 2014 following the announcement of its investment plans for Cozumel. ASUR reported a year on year increase of 9.1% across the nine airports it operates. Cancun was undoubtedly its busiest airport with passenger traffic increasing from 1,407,526 to 1,515,849 - a 77% growth and a testament to the popularity of the Mexican Caribbean sun, sea and sand experience.
Cozumel had a 32.5% growth in passenger traffic with 42,791 travellers in January 2014 compared to 32,288 in the same month last year. The launch of a new American Airlines flight route offering holidaymakers direct flights between Cozumel and Miami is likely to have contributed to the substantial boost in air traffic at the Cozumel airport.
ASUR (Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste) is a private airport operator in Mexico which has wconcessions to operate, maintain and develop the following nine airports in the south east Mexico; Cancun, Merida, Cozumel, Villahermosa, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Huatulco, Tapachula and Minatitlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at The Grand Lifestyle at...