ASUR to invest $28 million in Mexico's Cozumel Airport
Mexico's private airport operator ASUR has announced plans for a major investment aimed at improving the facilities and infrastructure at the Cozumel airport. The company has stated that it will be investing $28 million dollars in the Cozumel airport between 2014 and 2028.
Mexico's first privatised airport group, ASUR, recently announced plans for a $28 million dollar investment in Cozumel Airport (CZN) between now and the year 2028.
The announcement came as ASUR unveiled its "Master Development Plan" for the nine airports it operates in south east Mexico. According to Armando Gamboa, director at Cozumel Airport, the plan, which has been approved by Mexico's Ministry for Communications and Transport, will allow for maintenance and improvement works to be carried out at the airport.
So far the key priorities for the remodelling and maintenance work are the remodelling of the arrival and departure areas, the creation of a new façade and signalling as well as an extended walkway roof to protect passengers from the sun and rain as they board their flights. Mr Gamboa stated in a recent interview that more details would be released in the future.
It has been a busy month for ASUR as the company also released its passenger traffic figures for January 2014 following the announcement of its investment plans for Cozumel. ASUR reported a year on year increase of 9.1% across the nine airports it operates. Cancun was undoubtedly its busiest airport with passenger traffic increasing from 1,407,526 to 1,515,849 - a 77% growth and a testament to the popularity of the Mexican Caribbean sun, sea and sand experience.
Cozumel had a 32.5% growth in passenger traffic with 42,791 travellers in January 2014 compared to 32,288 in the same month last year. The launch of a new American Airlines flight route offering holidaymakers direct flights between Cozumel and Miami is likely to have contributed to the substantial boost in air traffic at the Cozumel airport.
ASUR (Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste) is a private airport operator in Mexico which has wconcessions to operate, maintain and develop the following nine airports in the south east Mexico; Cancun, Merida, Cozumel, Villahermosa, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Huatulco, Tapachula and Minatitlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
The perfect family holiday awaits you at Crown Paradise Club located on the panoramic Cancun beach hotel zone known for...