ASUR to invest $28 million in Mexico's Cozumel Airport
Mexico's private airport operator ASUR has announced plans for a major investment aimed at improving the facilities and infrastructure at the Cozumel airport. The company has stated that it will be investing $28 million dollars in the Cozumel airport between 2014 and 2028.
Mexico's first privatised airport group, ASUR, recently announced plans for a $28 million dollar investment in Cozumel Airport (CZN) between now and the year 2028.
The announcement came as ASUR unveiled its "Master Development Plan" for the nine airports it operates in south east Mexico. According to Armando Gamboa, director at Cozumel Airport, the plan, which has been approved by Mexico's Ministry for Communications and Transport, will allow for maintenance and improvement works to be carried out at the airport.
So far the key priorities for the remodelling and maintenance work are the remodelling of the arrival and departure areas, the creation of a new façade and signalling as well as an extended walkway roof to protect passengers from the sun and rain as they board their flights. Mr Gamboa stated in a recent interview that more details would be released in the future.
It has been a busy month for ASUR as the company also released its passenger traffic figures for January 2014 following the announcement of its investment plans for Cozumel. ASUR reported a year on year increase of 9.1% across the nine airports it operates. Cancun was undoubtedly its busiest airport with passenger traffic increasing from 1,407,526 to 1,515,849 - a 77% growth and a testament to the popularity of the Mexican Caribbean sun, sea and sand experience.
Cozumel had a 32.5% growth in passenger traffic with 42,791 travellers in January 2014 compared to 32,288 in the same month last year. The launch of a new American Airlines flight route offering holidaymakers direct flights between Cozumel and Miami is likely to have contributed to the substantial boost in air traffic at the Cozumel airport.
ASUR (Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste) is a private airport operator in Mexico which has wconcessions to operate, maintain and develop the following nine airports in the south east Mexico; Cancun, Merida, Cozumel, Villahermosa, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Huatulco, Tapachula and Minatitlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Venture to the Caribbean shores of Mexico in the celebrated resort town of Cancun to enjoy a sun-drenched retreat in a...