ASUR to invest $28 million in Mexico's Cozumel Airport
Mexico's private airport operator ASUR has announced plans for a major investment aimed at improving the facilities and infrastructure at the Cozumel airport. The company has stated that it will be investing $28 million dollars in the Cozumel airport between 2014 and 2028.
Mexico's first privatised airport group, ASUR, recently announced plans for a $28 million dollar investment in Cozumel Airport (CZN) between now and the year 2028.
The announcement came as ASUR unveiled its "Master Development Plan" for the nine airports it operates in south east Mexico. According to Armando Gamboa, director at Cozumel Airport, the plan, which has been approved by Mexico's Ministry for Communications and Transport, will allow for maintenance and improvement works to be carried out at the airport.
So far the key priorities for the remodelling and maintenance work are the remodelling of the arrival and departure areas, the creation of a new façade and signalling as well as an extended walkway roof to protect passengers from the sun and rain as they board their flights. Mr Gamboa stated in a recent interview that more details would be released in the future.
It has been a busy month for ASUR as the company also released its passenger traffic figures for January 2014 following the announcement of its investment plans for Cozumel. ASUR reported a year on year increase of 9.1% across the nine airports it operates. Cancun was undoubtedly its busiest airport with passenger traffic increasing from 1,407,526 to 1,515,849 - a 77% growth and a testament to the popularity of the Mexican Caribbean sun, sea and sand experience.
Cozumel had a 32.5% growth in passenger traffic with 42,791 travellers in January 2014 compared to 32,288 in the same month last year. The launch of a new American Airlines flight route offering holidaymakers direct flights between Cozumel and Miami is likely to have contributed to the substantial boost in air traffic at the Cozumel airport.
ASUR (Grupo Aeroportuario del Sureste) is a private airport operator in Mexico which has wconcessions to operate, maintain and develop the following nine airports in the south east Mexico; Cancun, Merida, Cozumel, Villahermosa, Oaxaca, Veracruz, Huatulco, Tapachula and Minatitlan.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...