London cabbie bids farewell to taxi as it ends its journey in Havana Motor Museum
A 70-year-old London cab driver has bid a fond farewell to his beloved taxi which is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag. Camden-born Tony Caccavone handed over the taxi to the authorities in Cuba where it will be permanently parked up in a motor museum in the Caribbean country's capital city of Havana.
A cab driver in London has parted ways with his beloved taxi so it can be exhibited in a motor museum in Havana, Cuba.
Tony Caccavone's taxi is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag and the 70-year-old cabbie has handed it over to the Caribbean island's authorities so it can be permanently parked up in the museum in Havana.
Mr Caccavone bought the taxi in 1997, after Canadian tourists recommended that he visit the Cuba. He painted it in the colours of the country's flag to show solidarity with Cuba in the face of U.S sanctions.
Mr Caccavone commented:
"It has the fortitude and resilience of the Cuban people. It's done just under 400,000 miles - all that mileage promoting Cuba/"
The cabbie, who is known as ''Cuban Tony'', said he bought the white car and had it sprayed with the flag because he was ''very angry at the struggles of the Cuban people'' and has been promoting the cause ever since.
The vehicle had an official send-off at the Bolivar Hall in London this week, which was attended by Esther Armenteros, the Cuban ambassador to London.
The Camden-born taxi driver explained:
"It's like losing part of my family. It is sad - it's like a part of me. I still have it for now, but can't use it for work - it will be in a container to Cuba in two to three weeks. I feel a bit down, and I know why it is - it's the departure of this cab."
"The Americans need to realise, enough is enough, if they would only drop this embargo, it would change the whole world."
Though the taxi will now be out of service at the Antique Car Museum near the Hotel Santa Isabel in the Old Havana district, Mr Caccavone says has no plans to retire just yet.
"I will eventually get a second hand white cab, and its livery will be from the Music Fund for Cuba, that's a registered charity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...