London cabbie bids farewell to taxi as it ends its journey in Havana Motor Museum
A 70-year-old London cab driver has bid a fond farewell to his beloved taxi which is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag. Camden-born Tony Caccavone handed over the taxi to the authorities in Cuba where it will be permanently parked up in a motor museum in the Caribbean country's capital city of Havana.
A cab driver in London has parted ways with his beloved taxi so it can be exhibited in a motor museum in Havana, Cuba.
Tony Caccavone's taxi is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag and the 70-year-old cabbie has handed it over to the Caribbean island's authorities so it can be permanently parked up in the museum in Havana.
Mr Caccavone bought the taxi in 1997, after Canadian tourists recommended that he visit the Cuba. He painted it in the colours of the country's flag to show solidarity with Cuba in the face of U.S sanctions.
Mr Caccavone commented:
"It has the fortitude and resilience of the Cuban people. It's done just under 400,000 miles - all that mileage promoting Cuba/"
The cabbie, who is known as ''Cuban Tony'', said he bought the white car and had it sprayed with the flag because he was ''very angry at the struggles of the Cuban people'' and has been promoting the cause ever since.
The vehicle had an official send-off at the Bolivar Hall in London this week, which was attended by Esther Armenteros, the Cuban ambassador to London.
The Camden-born taxi driver explained:
"It's like losing part of my family. It is sad - it's like a part of me. I still have it for now, but can't use it for work - it will be in a container to Cuba in two to three weeks. I feel a bit down, and I know why it is - it's the departure of this cab."
"The Americans need to realise, enough is enough, if they would only drop this embargo, it would change the whole world."
Though the taxi will now be out of service at the Antique Car Museum near the Hotel Santa Isabel in the Old Havana district, Mr Caccavone says has no plans to retire just yet.
"I will eventually get a second hand white cab, and its livery will be from the Music Fund for Cuba, that's a registered charity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...