London cabbie bids farewell to taxi as it ends its journey in Havana Motor Museum
A 70-year-old London cab driver has bid a fond farewell to his beloved taxi which is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag. Camden-born Tony Caccavone handed over the taxi to the authorities in Cuba where it will be permanently parked up in a motor museum in the Caribbean country's capital city of Havana.
A cab driver in London has parted ways with his beloved taxi so it can be exhibited in a motor museum in Havana, Cuba.
Tony Caccavone's taxi is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag and the 70-year-old cabbie has handed it over to the Caribbean island's authorities so it can be permanently parked up in the museum in Havana.
Mr Caccavone bought the taxi in 1997, after Canadian tourists recommended that he visit the Cuba. He painted it in the colours of the country's flag to show solidarity with Cuba in the face of U.S sanctions.
Mr Caccavone commented:
"It has the fortitude and resilience of the Cuban people. It's done just under 400,000 miles - all that mileage promoting Cuba/"
The cabbie, who is known as ''Cuban Tony'', said he bought the white car and had it sprayed with the flag because he was ''very angry at the struggles of the Cuban people'' and has been promoting the cause ever since.
The vehicle had an official send-off at the Bolivar Hall in London this week, which was attended by Esther Armenteros, the Cuban ambassador to London.
The Camden-born taxi driver explained:
"It's like losing part of my family. It is sad - it's like a part of me. I still have it for now, but can't use it for work - it will be in a container to Cuba in two to three weeks. I feel a bit down, and I know why it is - it's the departure of this cab."
"The Americans need to realise, enough is enough, if they would only drop this embargo, it would change the whole world."
Though the taxi will now be out of service at the Antique Car Museum near the Hotel Santa Isabel in the Old Havana district, Mr Caccavone says has no plans to retire just yet.
"I will eventually get a second hand white cab, and its livery will be from the Music Fund for Cuba, that's a registered charity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...