London cabbie bids farewell to taxi as it ends its journey in Havana Motor Museum
A 70-year-old London cab driver has bid a fond farewell to his beloved taxi which is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag. Camden-born Tony Caccavone handed over the taxi to the authorities in Cuba where it will be permanently parked up in a motor museum in the Caribbean country's capital city of Havana.
A cab driver in London has parted ways with his beloved taxi so it can be exhibited in a motor museum in Havana, Cuba.
Tony Caccavone's taxi is painted in the colours of the Cuban flag and the 70-year-old cabbie has handed it over to the Caribbean island's authorities so it can be permanently parked up in the museum in Havana.
Mr Caccavone bought the taxi in 1997, after Canadian tourists recommended that he visit the Cuba. He painted it in the colours of the country's flag to show solidarity with Cuba in the face of U.S sanctions.
Mr Caccavone commented:
"It has the fortitude and resilience of the Cuban people. It's done just under 400,000 miles - all that mileage promoting Cuba/"
The cabbie, who is known as ''Cuban Tony'', said he bought the white car and had it sprayed with the flag because he was ''very angry at the struggles of the Cuban people'' and has been promoting the cause ever since.
The vehicle had an official send-off at the Bolivar Hall in London this week, which was attended by Esther Armenteros, the Cuban ambassador to London.
The Camden-born taxi driver explained:
"It's like losing part of my family. It is sad - it's like a part of me. I still have it for now, but can't use it for work - it will be in a container to Cuba in two to three weeks. I feel a bit down, and I know why it is - it's the departure of this cab."
"The Americans need to realise, enough is enough, if they would only drop this embargo, it would change the whole world."
Though the taxi will now be out of service at the Antique Car Museum near the Hotel Santa Isabel in the Old Havana district, Mr Caccavone says has no plans to retire just yet.
"I will eventually get a second hand white cab, and its livery will be from the Music Fund for Cuba, that's a registered charity."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...