St. Lucia records growth in visitors in 2013 with increase in American arrivals
The Caribbean island of St Lucia received 315,000 stay over holidaymakers during 2013, beating its figures in 2012. The Tourism Minister Lorne Theophilus said that the largest growth was seen from the United States with an increase of 11 per cent compared to 2012, which is thought to be helped by increased air access and hotel promotions.
The island of St Lucia recorded 315,000 stay over tourists in 2013, beating its previous year's figures of 306,000. Contributing factors to the rise in tourists visiting St Lucia in 2013 include increased air access and multiple hotel promotions and marketing campaigns.
The Tourism Minister of St Lucia, Lorne Theophilus, said that the Caribbean island is hoping to exceed those numbers in 2014.
Mr Theophilus commented:
"The largest growth was seen from the U.S., a leading source market for the island, with an 11% increase over the previous year."
In July last year, United Airlines launched a new service between New York and St Lucia which is said to have helped contribute towards the increase of American visitors and Europeans doing twin-centre holidays combining the Caribbean island with New York in 2013.
Throughout 2014 and 2015, more than $230 million will be spent on upgrading numerous St Lucia hotels and resorts.
"The St. Lucia Tourist Board will continue to promote several island-wide initiatives this year, such as the rebranded St. Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival, the St. Lucia Health and Wellness Retreat, Chocolate Heritage Month and the second-annual 'Love Elevated' Wedding Symposium, which will cover the island's romantic hotspots and top wedding locations."
Added Minister Theophilus.
St Lucia is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean and the 238-square-mile island is home to spectacular natural delights such as the majestic emerald-sloped Pitons, one of the world's only drive-thru volcanoes, and several sugar white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees.
In St Lucia, visitors can discover an array of attractions and sites including the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls and the famous Anse Chastanet beach. Tourists can explore the harbour town and island capital, Castries; hike through Pigeon Island National Park, which boasts the old British military base, Fort Rodney; or sample delicious cuisine in the south-western town of Soufriere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Turn your dream of a Caribbean holiday into a reality and discover one of the most exotic islands in the world. Come...