St. Lucia records growth in visitors in 2013 with increase in American arrivals
The Caribbean island of St Lucia received 315,000 stay over holidaymakers during 2013, beating its figures in 2012. The Tourism Minister Lorne Theophilus said that the largest growth was seen from the United States with an increase of 11 per cent compared to 2012, which is thought to be helped by increased air access and hotel promotions.
The island of St Lucia recorded 315,000 stay over tourists in 2013, beating its previous year's figures of 306,000. Contributing factors to the rise in tourists visiting St Lucia in 2013 include increased air access and multiple hotel promotions and marketing campaigns.
The Tourism Minister of St Lucia, Lorne Theophilus, said that the Caribbean island is hoping to exceed those numbers in 2014.
Mr Theophilus commented:
"The largest growth was seen from the U.S., a leading source market for the island, with an 11% increase over the previous year."
In July last year, United Airlines launched a new service between New York and St Lucia which is said to have helped contribute towards the increase of American visitors and Europeans doing twin-centre holidays combining the Caribbean island with New York in 2013.
Throughout 2014 and 2015, more than $230 million will be spent on upgrading numerous St Lucia hotels and resorts.
"The St. Lucia Tourist Board will continue to promote several island-wide initiatives this year, such as the rebranded St. Lucia Jazz and Arts Festival, the St. Lucia Health and Wellness Retreat, Chocolate Heritage Month and the second-annual 'Love Elevated' Wedding Symposium, which will cover the island's romantic hotspots and top wedding locations."
Added Minister Theophilus.
St Lucia is one of the most popular destinations in the Caribbean and the 238-square-mile island is home to spectacular natural delights such as the majestic emerald-sloped Pitons, one of the world's only drive-thru volcanoes, and several sugar white sandy beaches that are fringed with swaying palm trees.
In St Lucia, visitors can discover an array of attractions and sites including the beautiful cascading Diamond Falls and the famous Anse Chastanet beach. Tourists can explore the harbour town and island capital, Castries; hike through Pigeon Island National Park, which boasts the old British military base, Fort Rodney; or sample delicious cuisine in the south-western town of Soufriere.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
The Hidden Gem Hideaway that offers the ultimate St Lucia expericne
- Boutique hotel hidden away in marigot bay
- Lush gardens and wonderful views of the marina
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Exclusive offer: Massive Savings of upto £750 per person!
- Recently refurbished, including the addition of a new "toes in the sand" restaurant
- All beverages included, such as Premium Brand Alcohol and Wine by the bottle at dinner
- Water Sports and Scuba Boat Dives with Personalized Instruction
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...