Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands at bella costa (formerly known as the breezes bella costa)
- Sample a host of watersports including snorkelling, kayaking and windsurfing. Golf lovers can play on the nearby 18 hole golf course
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach, perfcet for families, couples and singles
- Enjoy your stay in Varadero with 24-hour all-inclusive service
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club from £149 per person and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Add a West of Cuba Highlights tour -- including UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Presidential Palace ( from £99 per person )
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba’s finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you’re treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Get away to one of Cuba’s best kept secrets for an 8-day dream holiday. Guardalavaca is known to host the country’s most...
Come and experience the essence of Cuba at the majestic Blau Costa Verde, an all-inclusive paradise amidst breathtaking...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...