Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Comfortable stay at Kohy Hotel located right next to the Bosque de la Habana
- Benefit from the free wireless internet
- Just 290 minutes drive from the centre of Havana
- Fun daily activities such as tennis, swimming pool, a bowling alley, bar and restaurants
Enjoy a wide selection of activities, restaurants and bars as well as the white sandy beach and warm climate.
- Revel in the luscious powdery beaches the region is famous for
- Great selection of sports such as tennis, aerobics, table tennis, water sports and more
- Six restaurants and many differing varieties of bars ensure a wide range of food and drink available
Soak up the Cuban atmosphere at Breezes Varadero
- Perfectly located and surrounded by tropical gardens offering privacy for those looking for an adults-only ambience
- Enjoy the variety of activities including scuba diving lessons, dance classes, tennis and much more
- Awaken your body at the professional gym and fitness centre or relax with the fabulous spa treatments including 3 jacuzzis
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family and bask on Varadero's pure white sands.
- The Breezes Bella Costa is located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach; offers special discounts for families!
- Swap three nights in Varadero for three nights in Havana at the 4 star Occidental Miramar hotel with breakfast from £60 per person
- Ideal for golfers, the Resort is close to the Varadero Golf Club and Xanadu Mansion
- Add a private vintage car excursion in Varadero from £49 per person
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern Occidental Miramar Hotel in...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Discover the historical treasures of the enchanting city of Havana in a five day holiday of fun and relaxation. Your...
Discover the beautiful sites and animated nightlife of the La Rampa district in Havana during a relaxing stay at the...