Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Located just 20 minutes drive from Old Havana and 5 minutes drive from the beach
- Comfort and modern accommodations
- The hotel offers a free of charge shuttle bus to the centre of Havana
- Exclusive added values for couples, which includes: private check-in, a welcome cocktail, a turn down service and 10% discount for massages
Los Frailes offers elegant accommodations combined with a fabulous atmosphere
- Exclusive Offer for honeymooners: romantic dinner and symbolic present in the room
- Unique hotel located in the historic streets in Old Havana
- Book 3 nights or more till end of October 2014 and receive: early check-in and late check-out and turn down service
Soak up the atmosphere of the Caribbean's most unique city of the finest Spanish colonial architecture in the Americas . then, enjoy lazing on the soft sand of Varadero
- Havana hotel has beautiful ocean views and exclusive added values for couples
- Added benefits in Varadero worth up to £200 per person including a free couples massage
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- The Occidental Miramar Hotel is located in the elegant area of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Breezes Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Your Cuban experience begins at the Occidental Miramar, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy Miramar...
Escape to the historical Cuban capital and experience the richness of this nation’s culture as you enjoy the holiday of...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Those travelling to Havana town in Cuba, and planning to stay here for a while should consider staying at the Occidental...
Discover the historical treasures of the enchanting city of Havana in a five day holiday of fun and relaxation. Your...