Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles
- Memories Miramar Hotel is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Unwind in the pristine beauty of Varadero’s fine, sparkling white sands and lagoon-like waters
- Be warmed by the exceptionally friendly staff with a reputation for being helpful and fun.
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles.
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Added extras for couples include welcome cocktail, private check-in and free massages
- Snacks and drinks are available 24 hours at Blau Varadero
- Receive couples added values at Blau Varadero including 30 min basic massage per couple, room upgrade to sea view*, one bottle of sparkling wine on arrival and more
- Memories Miramar offers for couples private check-in, a welcome cocktail, a turn down service and a 10% discount for massages
Try a Couples Special that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Travel between May and October and receive up to USD1000 resort credit per room that can be spent on room upgrades, Spa treatments, premium drinks and special dinners
- The perfect mix of exciting city life and pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- In Havana couples will receive sparkling wine and fruit upon arrival, Late Check-Out ; in Varadero a romantic dinner for two, chocolates on arrival and one hydrothermal circuit per person, per stay
- Upgrade to Royal Service at the Paradisus Princesa del Mar Resort from £299 per person, including butler service, one spa water journey per person, per stay, one green fee per person, per stay, private check-in and checkout, and access to an exclusive
- Add a West of Cuba highlights tour - including visits to Revolution Square and UNESCO World Heritage Sites Old Havana, Vinales and Pinar del Rio -- from £99 per person
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Kick off your Cuba holiday with a stay at one of Havana’s most elegant hotels where you will enjoy 3 quiet nights safely...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Discover the historical treasures of the enchanting city of Havana in a five day holiday of fun and relaxation. Your...
Come and experience the essence of Cuba at the majestic Blau Costa Verde, an all-inclusive paradise amidst breathtaking...
Escape to the historical Cuban capital and experience the richness of this nation’s culture as you enjoy the holiday of...