Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Comfortable stay at Kohy Hotel located right next to the Bosque de la Habana
- Benefit from the free wireless internet
- Just 290 minutes drive from the centre of Havana
- Fun daily activities such as tennis, swimming pool, a bowling alley, bar and restaurants
For a restful holiday, a fun family gathering or a romantic getaway, you can't beat the stunning coast of Guardalavaca
- Facilities includes four swimming pool and A Gym
- Dine around option at 3 a la carte restaurants and 2 buffet restaurants
- Beautiful Beachfront Resort locted in Guardalavaca
Enjoy Varadero's world famous beach and stay at Club Amigo Aguas Azules, an All Inclusive Resort that offers unparalleled value
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
- Free upgrade to Bungalow including a seprate living area
- Unlimited national and international drinks 24hrs
Los Frailes offers elegant accommodations combined with a fabulous atmosphere
- Exclusive Offer for honeymooners: romantic dinner and symbolic present in the room
- Unique hotel located in the historic streets in Old Havana
- Book 3 nights or more till end of October 2014 and receive: early check-in and late check-out and turn down service
Sol Cayo Santa Maria lies in the northeast of the province of Villa Clara, in the Caribbean archipelago of Jardines del...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you’re treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Get away to one of Cuba’s best kept secrets for an 8-day dream holiday. Guardalavaca is known to host the country’s most...
Take a fortnight’s holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba’s leading resorts, Varadero. This locale...