Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Feel the intoxicating Latin vibe in Havana and relax on the sun-kissed sands of Varadero beach.
- Added extras for couples include welcome cocktail, private check-in and free massages
- Snacks and drinks are available 24 hours at Blau Varadero
- Receive couples added values at Blau Varadero including 30 min basic massage per couple, room upgrade to sea view*, one bottle of sparkling wine on arrival and more
- Memories Miramar offers for couples private check-in, a welcome cocktail, a turn down service and a 10% discount for massages
Breezes Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches in an ideal location for a beautiful escape
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Upgrade to Premium Economy from £399 per person including a welcome glass of bubbly plus various extras for a more luxurious flight
- Swap three nights in Varadero for three nights in Havana at the 4 star Memories Miramar hotel with breakfast from £50 per person, you can also include a 2 day West of Cuba Highlights Tour from £99 per person saving 50% off the usual price
- The family price for this holiday is from £3199 for two adults and two children up to the age of 12
- Upgrade to the Standard Ocean View Room from £99 per person per stay
- Unwind on the pristine beaches of Varadero and enjoy the great service that the Breezes Bella Costa prides it's self on
Enjoy the rich heritage of Havana followed by the idyllic beaches of Varadero
- The Iberostar Varadero Spa is a complete spa, where guests can totally relax and rejuvenate with a selction of massages and treatments, quiet areas to chill out and a gym for those who want to burn the calories
- Iberostar Parque Central offers two wonderful rooftop swimming pools, where guests can relax with a drink, enjoy lunch and the most wonderful panoramic views of the city
- Ideally located on the sea with spectacular views for the perfect family holiday in Varadero
Soak up the atmosphere unique to Havana, before spending time relaxing on the Cayo Santa Maria's pristine white sandy beach
- 1st Child prices from £649 per child aged 2-12 (Family offer 2 adults plus 2 children get 2 rooms during Summer 2015)
- Added values in Cayo Santa Maria - One exclusive meal with live entertainment, fast-track check-in service and late checkout
- Add a Havana experience tour, including visits to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the rum factory, the famous Floridita bar, the Revolution Squere and many more from £39 per person
- Upgrade to a return plane transfer between Havana and Cayo Santa Maria for £99 per person
- Upgrade to the 5-star Melia Cayo Santa Maria from an extra £99 per person, saving 50% on the usual price
Your Cuban experience begins at the Occidental Miramar, a 4-star hotel located right at the heart of the classy Miramar...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Get away to one of Cuba’s best kept secrets for an 8-day dream holiday. Guardalavaca is known to host the country’s most...
Come and experience the essence of Cuba at the majestic Blau Costa Verde, an all-inclusive paradise amidst breathtaking...
Take a fortnight’s holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba’s leading resorts, Varadero. This locale...