Famous Capri Hotel finally reopens in Havana, Cuba
After 14 years of renovations costing more than more than 33 million Cuban pesos, one of the most famous hotels in Havana has officially reopened. Built in 1958 by New York mobster Santo Traficante, the Capri Hotel is famous for hosting gangster guests and for its reference by Mario Puzo in the film 'The Godfather'.
After more than a decade of refurbishments and renovations, the Capri Hotel in Cuba has finally reopened its doors to the public.
The hotel in Havana was built in 1957 by New York mobster Santo Traficante and it was famous for its reference in Mario Puzo's novel 'The Godfather'.
This iconic Cuban hotel opened its doors in Havana's Vedado district on 28th December, 2013 after 14 years of repairs costing more than 33 million Cuban pesos. Guest rooms and public areas have been refurbished and upgraded, while the air conditioning, fire alarms, hot water systems and water pressure, extraction and ventilation of the cold chamber, and electricity have all been repaired.
The Cuban architect Jose Canaves designed the 19-floor Havana property in 1956 and as well as having 250 guest rooms, the hotel had the famous cabaret "Salon Rojo" which was originally a casino.
During the 1950s, the property was amongst one of the most popular in Havana for American gangsters on visiting Cuba and its main features included a rooftop swimming pool and the restaurant, La Florentina.
Located very near the Nacional de Cuba hotel in Vedado district, the hotel is conveniently positioned close to the capital city's shopping district and tourist attractions.
The newly-opened hotel in Havana, which is operated by Gran Caribe group, is expected to attract mafia film buffs who are hoping to catch a glimpse inside the historical building which saw frequent visits from some of the world's most dangerous gangsters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the tranquillity and picturesque surroundings at this truly Cuban escape
- Exclusive bottle of sparkling wine upon arrival
- Enjoy a fantastic City Tour
- The preferential treatment for couples includes a romantic dinner for two and a couples’ massage (15 minutes each)
- The hotel is set in spacious tropical gardens, this stylish property boasts attractive accommodation and an abundance of excellent facilities
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands at bella costa
- Exclusive offer - Upgrade to Premium Economy from £349pp Return Flight on select dates call now due to limited availability
- Huge Reductions on the 29th August 2016, 10 nights now from £899pp
- Sample a host of watersports including snorkelling, kayaking and windsurfing. Golf lovers can play on the nearby 18 hole golf course
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach, perfcet for families, couples and singles
- Enjoy your stay in Varadero with 24-hour all-inclusive service
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club from £149 per person and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba’s natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba’s finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba’s beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba’s spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Get away to one of Cuba’s best kept secrets for an 8-day dream holiday. Guardalavaca is known to host the country’s most...
Enjoy the coastal treasures of one of Cuba’s finest seaside locations, Guardalavaca, spending eight unforgettable nights...