Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air launches its Sigiriya route
Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of daily flights to Sigiriya from Sri Lanka's International Airport (CMB). The addition of these direct flights now offers significant time saving s for those travellers who would like to experience Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle, which is made up of Sigiriya, the Sacred City of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
Sri Lanka's domestic airline Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of its sixth inland destination Sigiriya. The announcement will go a long way to support the development of Sri Lanka's tourism industry as holidaymakers now have easy access to daily direct flights to Sigiriya one of the country's leading holiday destinations and a UNESCO World Heritage site which forms part of Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle.
Flights are scheduled to depart from Sri Lanka's Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) in Colombo at 2:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and 10:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays. Return flights depart Sigirya at 5:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and at 11:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays.
A one way ticket is currently listed at £199 excluding taxes and those passengers who booked their holidays to Sri Lanka in the month of December were able to take advantage of a 30 per cent introductory discount.
At the time of the inaugural flight to Sigiriya, Romesh David, the Director of Cinnamon Air stated:
"In addition to significantly enhancing Sri Lanka's tourism infrastructure by providing incoming tourists with direct access to hotels in the Cultural Triangle area, this flight is an important extension of Cinnamon Air's growing network by connecting it with flights from Dickwella and Koggala on the southwest coast of the country, thus affording tourists holidaying at beach hotels with convenient and fast access to the Cultural Triangle".
Improving the nations infrastructure will be one of the keys to Sri Lanka achieving its target of 2.5 million visitors by the year 2016, a target that some internal stakeholders have described as unrealistic. However, the local Tourism Authority has noted that there would be an additional 2,558 rooms to be added in the next year in addition to approvals that have been granted for further investments.
With the introduction of this route, travellers can now reduce their travel time from Sri Lanka's Airport and the Colombo/Negombo area to the Cultural Triangle by over three hours, a significant improvement to the accessibility of one of Sri Lanka's most valuable tourism assets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....