Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air launches its Sigiriya route
Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of daily flights to Sigiriya from Sri Lanka's International Airport (CMB). The addition of these direct flights now offers significant time saving s for those travellers who would like to experience Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle, which is made up of Sigiriya, the Sacred City of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
Sri Lanka's domestic airline Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of its sixth inland destination Sigiriya. The announcement will go a long way to support the development of Sri Lanka's tourism industry as holidaymakers now have easy access to daily direct flights to Sigiriya one of the country's leading holiday destinations and a UNESCO World Heritage site which forms part of Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle.
Flights are scheduled to depart from Sri Lanka's Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) in Colombo at 2:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and 10:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays. Return flights depart Sigirya at 5:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and at 11:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays.
A one way ticket is currently listed at £199 excluding taxes and those passengers who booked their holidays to Sri Lanka in the month of December were able to take advantage of a 30 per cent introductory discount.
At the time of the inaugural flight to Sigiriya, Romesh David, the Director of Cinnamon Air stated:
"In addition to significantly enhancing Sri Lanka's tourism infrastructure by providing incoming tourists with direct access to hotels in the Cultural Triangle area, this flight is an important extension of Cinnamon Air's growing network by connecting it with flights from Dickwella and Koggala on the southwest coast of the country, thus affording tourists holidaying at beach hotels with convenient and fast access to the Cultural Triangle".
Improving the nations infrastructure will be one of the keys to Sri Lanka achieving its target of 2.5 million visitors by the year 2016, a target that some internal stakeholders have described as unrealistic. However, the local Tourism Authority has noted that there would be an additional 2,558 rooms to be added in the next year in addition to approvals that have been granted for further investments.
With the introduction of this route, travellers can now reduce their travel time from Sri Lanka's Airport and the Colombo/Negombo area to the Cultural Triangle by over three hours, a significant improvement to the accessibility of one of Sri Lanka's most valuable tourism assets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka and beach Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Escape into the arms of one of Sri Lanka's most picturesque towns and live the sun-drenched holiday of your dreams....