Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air launches its Sigiriya route
Sri Lanka's Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of daily flights to Sigiriya from Sri Lanka's International Airport (CMB). The addition of these direct flights now offers significant time saving s for those travellers who would like to experience Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle, which is made up of Sigiriya, the Sacred City of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa.
Sri Lanka's domestic airline Cinnamon Air has announced the addition of its sixth inland destination Sigiriya. The announcement will go a long way to support the development of Sri Lanka's tourism industry as holidaymakers now have easy access to daily direct flights to Sigiriya one of the country's leading holiday destinations and a UNESCO World Heritage site which forms part of Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle.
Flights are scheduled to depart from Sri Lanka's Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB) in Colombo at 2:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and 10:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays. Return flights depart Sigirya at 5:15 pm on Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and at 11:00 am on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Sundays.
A one way ticket is currently listed at £199 excluding taxes and those passengers who booked their holidays to Sri Lanka in the month of December were able to take advantage of a 30 per cent introductory discount.
At the time of the inaugural flight to Sigiriya, Romesh David, the Director of Cinnamon Air stated:
"In addition to significantly enhancing Sri Lanka's tourism infrastructure by providing incoming tourists with direct access to hotels in the Cultural Triangle area, this flight is an important extension of Cinnamon Air's growing network by connecting it with flights from Dickwella and Koggala on the southwest coast of the country, thus affording tourists holidaying at beach hotels with convenient and fast access to the Cultural Triangle".
Improving the nations infrastructure will be one of the keys to Sri Lanka achieving its target of 2.5 million visitors by the year 2016, a target that some internal stakeholders have described as unrealistic. However, the local Tourism Authority has noted that there would be an additional 2,558 rooms to be added in the next year in addition to approvals that have been granted for further investments.
With the introduction of this route, travellers can now reduce their travel time from Sri Lanka's Airport and the Colombo/Negombo area to the Cultural Triangle by over three hours, a significant improvement to the accessibility of one of Sri Lanka's most valuable tourism assets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Take advantage of a this twin destination combination treat
- Enjoy themed nights with flavours from around the world in Sri Lanka
- Discover the wonder of Old and New Delhi with a guided, full day city tour
- Visit the City Palace, an overwhelming complex of exquisite palaces, gardens and courtyards, decorative art and carved doorways
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....