Jamaica celebrates arrival of two millionth tourist in 2013
The Caribbean island of Jamaica welcomed its two millionth holidaymaker in 2013 on Sunday 29th December. This is the first time the country has reached that number in its history and the two travellers who pushed the numbers over the milestone arrived from Massachusetts in the United States and received two return airline tickets and a complimentary stay when they return to Jamaica from Grand Palladium Resorts.
The tropical island nation of Jamaica celebrated a milestone at the weekend when it welcomed its two millionth 2013 tourist.
This is the first time that Jamaica reached the milestone which was celebrated by the arrival of Alexis and Craig Greiner from Massachusetts in the United States. The couple arrived on the American Airlines Flight 380 in Montego Bay on Sunday 29th December, and they were welcomed by the Tourism Minister Dr Wykeham McNeill. They received two return airline tickets and a complimentary stay at Grand Palladium Resorts when they return to Jamaica.
Dr Wykeham McNeill explained:
"In the course of time, Jamaica has become an iconic brand in the travel industry, achieving name recognition in almost every nation on earth. Certainly, Jamaica remains high on the aspirational lists of consumers the world over. We feed these aspirations by our marketing efforts, the excellence of which we have consistently earned admiration and recognition."
In 2003, 1.3 million tourists took holidays to Jamaica and though the nation had been close to reaching the 2 million mark on several occasions, it had narrowly missed out until last weekend.
"Our geographic location, the natural beauty of our island, our rich and vibrant culture, and our colourful history have all been factors in this success," McNeill added. "But none more so than the Jamaican people themselves, who have infused Brand Jamaica with warmth, humour and a unique flair for hospitality that remains unchallenged."
Jamaica is famous for its laid-back lifestyle, delicious authentic cuisine and is well known as the homeland of the legendary singer Bob Marley. The country is a popular place to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the Caribbean, tropical weddings and romantic honeymoons. Visitors can choose from an array of luxurious hotels, villas and resorts that will suit every budget.
There are many natural wonders to visit in Jamaica such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains. Holidaymakers can also enjoy visits to the famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour and the island's historic sugar plantations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Discounted rates available for 2018 available for a limited time!
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....