Jamaica celebrates arrival of two millionth tourist in 2013
The Caribbean island of Jamaica welcomed its two millionth holidaymaker in 2013 on Sunday 29th December. This is the first time the country has reached that number in its history and the two travellers who pushed the numbers over the milestone arrived from Massachusetts in the United States and received two return airline tickets and a complimentary stay when they return to Jamaica from Grand Palladium Resorts.
The tropical island nation of Jamaica celebrated a milestone at the weekend when it welcomed its two millionth 2013 tourist.
This is the first time that Jamaica reached the milestone which was celebrated by the arrival of Alexis and Craig Greiner from Massachusetts in the United States. The couple arrived on the American Airlines Flight 380 in Montego Bay on Sunday 29th December, and they were welcomed by the Tourism Minister Dr Wykeham McNeill. They received two return airline tickets and a complimentary stay at Grand Palladium Resorts when they return to Jamaica.
Dr Wykeham McNeill explained:
"In the course of time, Jamaica has become an iconic brand in the travel industry, achieving name recognition in almost every nation on earth. Certainly, Jamaica remains high on the aspirational lists of consumers the world over. We feed these aspirations by our marketing efforts, the excellence of which we have consistently earned admiration and recognition."
In 2003, 1.3 million tourists took holidays to Jamaica and though the nation had been close to reaching the 2 million mark on several occasions, it had narrowly missed out until last weekend.
"Our geographic location, the natural beauty of our island, our rich and vibrant culture, and our colourful history have all been factors in this success," McNeill added. "But none more so than the Jamaican people themselves, who have infused Brand Jamaica with warmth, humour and a unique flair for hospitality that remains unchallenged."
Jamaica is famous for its laid-back lifestyle, delicious authentic cuisine and is well known as the homeland of the legendary singer Bob Marley. The country is a popular place to enjoy a relaxing holiday in the Caribbean, tropical weddings and romantic honeymoons. Visitors can choose from an array of luxurious hotels, villas and resorts that will suit every budget.
There are many natural wonders to visit in Jamaica such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains. Holidaymakers can also enjoy visits to the famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour and the island's historic sugar plantations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...