FCO lifts travel restrictions for UK tourists planning holidays to Egypt
Egypt is looking forward to welcoming back tourists from the UK, following the recent announcement from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office that it has lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the whole of the country. Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have been lifted this month, all of which are popular destinations for holidaymakers.
UK travellers are being encouraged to once again visit Egypt, after the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the country this month.
Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have all been lifted this month, which is good news for tourists planning to visit Egypt, and the country's tourism industry.
Omayma El Husseini, the Egyptian Tourism Authority Director for UK and Ireland, stated:
"We could not be more pleased by the FCO's additional revision – Egypt's capital is open for business! UK travellers can now return and enjoy the world renowned historical attractions in Cairo as well as the city itself. We look forward to welcoming the British and Irish back."
The travel restrictions were put in place in July this year, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi and an increase in terrorism attacks on police and security forces.
Many travel companies who provide package holidays to Egypt have had to put them on hold for months but the lift in restrictions means that many can resume these once again.
"FCO Travel Advice is kept under constant review. Relaxation of our 'Travel Advice' for Cairo is a reflection of our assessment of the current threat facing British Nationals. We no longer advise against all but essential travel to Cairo. This includes the entire governorates of Cairo and Giza."
Explained an FCO spokesperson.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Diving enthusiasts can enjoy excellent scuba diving conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...