FCO lifts travel restrictions for UK tourists planning holidays to Egypt
Egypt is looking forward to welcoming back tourists from the UK, following the recent announcement from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office that it has lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the whole of the country. Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have been lifted this month, all of which are popular destinations for holidaymakers.
UK travellers are being encouraged to once again visit Egypt, after the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the country this month.
Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have all been lifted this month, which is good news for tourists planning to visit Egypt, and the country's tourism industry.
Omayma El Husseini, the Egyptian Tourism Authority Director for UK and Ireland, stated:
"We could not be more pleased by the FCO's additional revision – Egypt's capital is open for business! UK travellers can now return and enjoy the world renowned historical attractions in Cairo as well as the city itself. We look forward to welcoming the British and Irish back."
The travel restrictions were put in place in July this year, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi and an increase in terrorism attacks on police and security forces.
Many travel companies who provide package holidays to Egypt have had to put them on hold for months but the lift in restrictions means that many can resume these once again.
"FCO Travel Advice is kept under constant review. Relaxation of our 'Travel Advice' for Cairo is a reflection of our assessment of the current threat facing British Nationals. We no longer advise against all but essential travel to Cairo. This includes the entire governorates of Cairo and Giza."
Explained an FCO spokesperson.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Diving enthusiasts can enjoy excellent scuba diving conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...