FCO lifts travel restrictions for UK tourists planning holidays to Egypt
Egypt is looking forward to welcoming back tourists from the UK, following the recent announcement from the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office that it has lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the whole of the country. Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have been lifted this month, all of which are popular destinations for holidaymakers.
UK travellers are being encouraged to once again visit Egypt, after the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office lifted its advice against all but essential travel to the country this month.
Restrictions to Luxor, Aswan and Cairo have all been lifted this month, which is good news for tourists planning to visit Egypt, and the country's tourism industry.
Omayma El Husseini, the Egyptian Tourism Authority Director for UK and Ireland, stated:
"We could not be more pleased by the FCO's additional revision – Egypt's capital is open for business! UK travellers can now return and enjoy the world renowned historical attractions in Cairo as well as the city itself. We look forward to welcoming the British and Irish back."
The travel restrictions were put in place in July this year, following the overthrow of President Mohamed Morsi and an increase in terrorism attacks on police and security forces.
Many travel companies who provide package holidays to Egypt have had to put them on hold for months but the lift in restrictions means that many can resume these once again.
"FCO Travel Advice is kept under constant review. Relaxation of our 'Travel Advice' for Cairo is a reflection of our assessment of the current threat facing British Nationals. We no longer advise against all but essential travel to Cairo. This includes the entire governorates of Cairo and Giza."
Explained an FCO spokesperson.
Each year, millions of international tourists travel to Egypt to explore the country's incredible historical offerings. Holidaymakers can take cruises up the River Nile and visit ancient temples such as the Temple of Karnak, Luxor Temple, and Valley of the Kings. The renowned pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Diving enthusiasts can enjoy excellent scuba diving conditions in Red Sea resorts such as Sharm el Sheik and Hurghada, where there are also a large number of luxury hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £249pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Enjoy a Wonderfully Relaxing Holiday with a wide range of activities
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of Giza. Set just a...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers and Casino sits on the west bank of the River Nile offering magnificent views of the river...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...