Cuba welcomes more than 2 million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has recorded more than two million tourists during the first nine months of 2013 according to data published by the National Office of Statistics and Information. The figures revealed that two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors visited Cuba between January and September this year.
New figures published by Cuba's National Office of Statistics and Information reveal that the Caribbean country has received more than two million visitors so far this year.
According to the figures, two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors travelled to Cuba between January and September, 2013. The majority of holidaymakers originated from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina and Italy and in September alone, 147,673 tourists visited the communist island.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors taking holidays in Cuba has significantly increased. In 2009 during the first nine months, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
By the end of last year, Cuba recorded 2.8 million visitors. The country has more than 60,000 hotel rooms in many cities, beach resorts and surrounding islets and keys.
The country's tourism officials have been working hard to increase the offerings for travellers by providing more cultural packages, ecotourism options, business trips, and activity tours.
The island is likely to receive even more tourists in the near future thanks to the wide range of people-to-people programmes and cultural packages available from U.S travel companies and tour operators.
President Obama relaxed laws for American residents to travel to Cuba in early 2011, and since then the number of Americans visiting Cuba through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital, Havana, Jardines del Rey, Trinidad, and Varadero.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...