Cuba welcomes more than 2 million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has recorded more than two million tourists during the first nine months of 2013 according to data published by the National Office of Statistics and Information. The figures revealed that two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors visited Cuba between January and September this year.
New figures published by Cuba's National Office of Statistics and Information reveal that the Caribbean country has received more than two million visitors so far this year.
According to the figures, two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors travelled to Cuba between January and September, 2013. The majority of holidaymakers originated from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina and Italy and in September alone, 147,673 tourists visited the communist island.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors taking holidays in Cuba has significantly increased. In 2009 during the first nine months, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
By the end of last year, Cuba recorded 2.8 million visitors. The country has more than 60,000 hotel rooms in many cities, beach resorts and surrounding islets and keys.
The country's tourism officials have been working hard to increase the offerings for travellers by providing more cultural packages, ecotourism options, business trips, and activity tours.
The island is likely to receive even more tourists in the near future thanks to the wide range of people-to-people programmes and cultural packages available from U.S travel companies and tour operators.
President Obama relaxed laws for American residents to travel to Cuba in early 2011, and since then the number of Americans visiting Cuba through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital, Havana, Jardines del Rey, Trinidad, and Varadero.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...