Cuba welcomes more than 2 million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has recorded more than two million tourists during the first nine months of 2013 according to data published by the National Office of Statistics and Information. The figures revealed that two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors visited Cuba between January and September this year.
New figures published by Cuba's National Office of Statistics and Information reveal that the Caribbean country has received more than two million visitors so far this year.
According to the figures, two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors travelled to Cuba between January and September, 2013. The majority of holidaymakers originated from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina and Italy and in September alone, 147,673 tourists visited the communist island.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors taking holidays in Cuba has significantly increased. In 2009 during the first nine months, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
By the end of last year, Cuba recorded 2.8 million visitors. The country has more than 60,000 hotel rooms in many cities, beach resorts and surrounding islets and keys.
The country's tourism officials have been working hard to increase the offerings for travellers by providing more cultural packages, ecotourism options, business trips, and activity tours.
The island is likely to receive even more tourists in the near future thanks to the wide range of people-to-people programmes and cultural packages available from U.S travel companies and tour operators.
President Obama relaxed laws for American residents to travel to Cuba in early 2011, and since then the number of Americans visiting Cuba through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital, Havana, Jardines del Rey, Trinidad, and Varadero.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...