Cuba welcomes more than 2 million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has recorded more than two million tourists during the first nine months of 2013 according to data published by the National Office of Statistics and Information. The figures revealed that two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors visited Cuba between January and September this year.
New figures published by Cuba's National Office of Statistics and Information reveal that the Caribbean country has received more than two million visitors so far this year.
According to the figures, two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors travelled to Cuba between January and September, 2013. The majority of holidaymakers originated from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina and Italy and in September alone, 147,673 tourists visited the communist island.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors taking holidays in Cuba has significantly increased. In 2009 during the first nine months, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
By the end of last year, Cuba recorded 2.8 million visitors. The country has more than 60,000 hotel rooms in many cities, beach resorts and surrounding islets and keys.
The country's tourism officials have been working hard to increase the offerings for travellers by providing more cultural packages, ecotourism options, business trips, and activity tours.
The island is likely to receive even more tourists in the near future thanks to the wide range of people-to-people programmes and cultural packages available from U.S travel companies and tour operators.
President Obama relaxed laws for American residents to travel to Cuba in early 2011, and since then the number of Americans visiting Cuba through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital, Havana, Jardines del Rey, Trinidad, and Varadero.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...