Cuba welcomes more than 2 million tourists so far this year
The Caribbean island of Cuba has recorded more than two million tourists during the first nine months of 2013 according to data published by the National Office of Statistics and Information. The figures revealed that two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors visited Cuba between January and September this year.
New figures published by Cuba's National Office of Statistics and Information reveal that the Caribbean country has received more than two million visitors so far this year.
According to the figures, two million 144 thousand and 632 visitors travelled to Cuba between January and September, 2013. The majority of holidaymakers originated from Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Argentina and Italy and in September alone, 147,673 tourists visited the communist island.
Over the last five years, the number of international visitors taking holidays in Cuba has significantly increased. In 2009 during the first nine months, the country received 1.8 million visitors and this reached 2.1 million during the same period in 2012.
By the end of last year, Cuba recorded 2.8 million visitors. The country has more than 60,000 hotel rooms in many cities, beach resorts and surrounding islets and keys.
The country's tourism officials have been working hard to increase the offerings for travellers by providing more cultural packages, ecotourism options, business trips, and activity tours.
The island is likely to receive even more tourists in the near future thanks to the wide range of people-to-people programmes and cultural packages available from U.S travel companies and tour operators.
President Obama relaxed laws for American residents to travel to Cuba in early 2011, and since then the number of Americans visiting Cuba through organised tours has significantly increased. U.S travellers can now to travel to Cuba for academic, educational, religious or cultural reasons.
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Popular tourist destinations in Cuba include the country's historic capital, Havana, Jardines del Rey, Trinidad, and Varadero.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...