Cuba records increase in U.S visitors in 2012
New figures released by the National Statistics Office in Cuba have revealed that the number of American visitors taking Cuba holidays in 2012 reached more than 98,000, which is twice the number in 2007. The reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes to Cuba has helped increase the number of U.S visitors.
The number of American visitors who travelled to the Caribbean island of Cuba in 2012 has doubled compared to figures in 2007, according to the Cuba's National Statistics Office.
The U.S visitor figures for 2012 reached over 98,000, a significant increase compared to the 73,500 visitors to Cuba in 2011.
The increase in Cuba travel for American residents is partly due to the reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes in 2011.
The Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning Cuba holidays and the laws enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and holidays to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
The programmes support interaction between Americans and Cubans while allowing tourists to experience and explore the country's cuisine, culture, history, and educational systems.
In 2012, 2.8 tourists took holidays to Cuba but arrivals so far this year are down by two percent. The Caribbean island is a popular destination for international tourists thanks to its beautiful landscapes, rich history and cultural offerings.
The bustling capital city of Havana is home to decaying ruins of buildings, vibrant bars and cafes and bustling markets and streets, while the beach resort of Varadero boasts white sand beaches and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts.
Emerging towns and cities such as Santa Clara and Holguin are also attracting new visitors with the help of additional flights to Cuba.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is one of the most popular tourist destinations for travellers taking holidays to Cuba and it is home to turquoise, crystal clear waters and an impressive barrier reef system that is perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...