Cuba records increase in U.S visitors in 2012
New figures released by the National Statistics Office in Cuba have revealed that the number of American visitors taking Cuba holidays in 2012 reached more than 98,000, which is twice the number in 2007. The reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes to Cuba has helped increase the number of U.S visitors.
The number of American visitors who travelled to the Caribbean island of Cuba in 2012 has doubled compared to figures in 2007, according to the Cuba's National Statistics Office.
The U.S visitor figures for 2012 reached over 98,000, a significant increase compared to the 73,500 visitors to Cuba in 2011.
The increase in Cuba travel for American residents is partly due to the reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes in 2011.
The Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning Cuba holidays and the laws enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and holidays to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
The programmes support interaction between Americans and Cubans while allowing tourists to experience and explore the country's cuisine, culture, history, and educational systems.
In 2012, 2.8 tourists took holidays to Cuba but arrivals so far this year are down by two percent. The Caribbean island is a popular destination for international tourists thanks to its beautiful landscapes, rich history and cultural offerings.
The bustling capital city of Havana is home to decaying ruins of buildings, vibrant bars and cafes and bustling markets and streets, while the beach resort of Varadero boasts white sand beaches and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts.
Emerging towns and cities such as Santa Clara and Holguin are also attracting new visitors with the help of additional flights to Cuba.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is one of the most popular tourist destinations for travellers taking holidays to Cuba and it is home to turquoise, crystal clear waters and an impressive barrier reef system that is perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...