Cuba records increase in U.S visitors in 2012
New figures released by the National Statistics Office in Cuba have revealed that the number of American visitors taking Cuba holidays in 2012 reached more than 98,000, which is twice the number in 2007. The reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes to Cuba has helped increase the number of U.S visitors.
The number of American visitors who travelled to the Caribbean island of Cuba in 2012 has doubled compared to figures in 2007, according to the Cuba's National Statistics Office.
The U.S visitor figures for 2012 reached over 98,000, a significant increase compared to the 73,500 visitors to Cuba in 2011.
The increase in Cuba travel for American residents is partly due to the reinstatement of people-to-people cultural and educational travel programmes in 2011.
The Obama administration relaxed restrictions for U.S travellers planning Cuba holidays and the laws enabled more tourists to visit the communist country for the first time through organised tours and charters.
U.S travel companies that are licensed by the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control are now permitted to operate itineraries and holidays to Cuba for religious, educational, academic and cultural purposes.
The programmes support interaction between Americans and Cubans while allowing tourists to experience and explore the country's cuisine, culture, history, and educational systems.
In 2012, 2.8 tourists took holidays to Cuba but arrivals so far this year are down by two percent. The Caribbean island is a popular destination for international tourists thanks to its beautiful landscapes, rich history and cultural offerings.
The bustling capital city of Havana is home to decaying ruins of buildings, vibrant bars and cafes and bustling markets and streets, while the beach resort of Varadero boasts white sand beaches and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts.
Emerging towns and cities such as Santa Clara and Holguin are also attracting new visitors with the help of additional flights to Cuba.
The Jardines del Rey archipelago is one of the most popular tourist destinations for travellers taking holidays to Cuba and it is home to turquoise, crystal clear waters and an impressive barrier reef system that is perfect for snorkelling and scuba diving.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...