Finally it has been done - U.S swimmer achieves Cuba-Florida crossing!
They say third time is lucky but for Diana Nyad, a 64-year-old American swimmer who just two days ago accomplished the amazing feat of swimming the Cuba-Florida stretch, it was fifth time around that proved lucky. After her fifth attempt, Ms Nyad became the first ever person in history to cross the long and trying stretch of water that separates the American state of Florida from Cuba's capital city of Havana.
U.S. professional swimmer, Diana Nyad now stands as living proof that you're never too old to achieve your dreams and that picking yourself up after failure and trying again can certainly prove very rewarding.
Just last Monday the 64-year-old endurance swimmer became the first ever person to swim the 110-mile stretch of Caribbean Sea that separates Havana, Cuba's capital city, from the U.S. shores of Florida without the use of a protective shark cage.
Ms Nyad triumphantly arrived into Key West, Florida on 2nd September 2013 at 14:00 local time after 53 gruelling hours of non-stop swimming in the company of her support team of 35 people. Visibly exhausted she emerged from the water amidst the deafening cheering and applauding of hundreds of well-wishers waiting to greet her on the beach.
This was to be, on her own words, the final attempt after four other tries that ended in failure due to several adverse conditions. Her first attempt in 1978 was the only one made using a shark cage and it failed out of sheer exhaustion. In fact it made her give up swimming entirely for a long while. The second attempt in 2011 had to be called off because of an asthma attack and shoulder pain that impaired her swimming while the third attempt later in the same year was stopped by jellyfish stings. Her fourth attempt was made recently just last August 2012 and was abandoned after jellyfish stings.
But nothing was to stop her this time. In order to avoid the jellyfish stings she wore a protective silicone mask on her face, a full bodysuit, gloves and booties. Even though she knew beforehand this kit would slow her down it ultimately proved effective and helped her make her long elusive dream come true.
As she made her way to the shore she breathlessly told TV crews:
"I have three messages: one is we should never ever give up; two is you are never too old to chase your dreams; and three is it looks like a solitary sport but it is a team."
U.S. President Barack Obama was among the first to congratulate via Twitter with the headline: "Never give up on your dreams".
This amazing swimming feat is more than just an extraordinary physical exploit that tested the boundaries of the human body and its endurance to extreme conditions. It's also a metaphor of the ideological barriers between these two neighbouring countries; barriers that are starting to break down, albeit slowly. For the past few years and thanks to an easing of regulations by Obama, Americans have once again been allowed to visit Cuba legally and go on special cultural Cuba holidays after obtaining a special People-to-People travel scheme.
Just last month an American surfer made the same Cuba-Florida crossing on a paddleboard. This swimming success story by a 64-year-old retired athlete is another small step towards getting these nations closer and building bridges.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...