Caribbean airline launches new flights between Cuba and Jamaica
This week Cuban short-haul airline, Aerogaviota, officially launched a new route servicing Jamaica and connecting the capital city of Havana to Jamaica's popular beach resort of Montego Bay. The airline, which already operated regular scheduled flights to Kingston thrice weekly from Havana will now offer a once weekly service to the famed white sands of Montego Bay, giving tourists more options when it comes to planning twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica.
Last Monday, Cuban regional airline Aerogaviota expanded its services to Jamaica with a new route between Montego Bay and Havana.
After three years of operating chartered flights between both countries' capitals, Aerogaviota, Cuba's youngest airline, has now connected Cuba's vibrant and exciting capital city of Havana to the powdery soft white sands of Montego Bay – Jamaica's favourite beach resort – with a new thrice weekly scheduled service.
Thus enhancing the options for tourists seeking twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica, the new scheduled flights between Havana and Montego Bay will serve a growing number of travellers seeking to experience these two neighbouring Caribbean islands.
After an official ceremony that took place on 26th August at Jamaica's Norman Manley Airport, the first Havana-Holguin-Montego Bay flight departed from Havana to mark the start of the new regular flights which would follow make a stop first in Cuba's tranquil beachside retreat of Holguin before reaching its final destination in the trendy Jamaica beach resort of Montego Bay.
With this new route another simultaneous route also launched, connecting Havana to Cuba's eastern province of Santiago de Cuba and Jamaica's capital city of Kingston. This means that Cuba and Jamaica will be now linked via three weekly flights on Mondays and Tuesdays with the Havana-Santiago de Cuba-Kingston route and the Havana-Holguin-Montego-Bay on Wednesdays.
According to the ambassador of Cuba in Jamaica, Yuri Gala, this new route will contribute to strengthening the ties of friendship and bilateral cooperation between the two Caribbean nations. Gala said:
"The launch will facilitate the flow of passengers between both countries. In a way this will also help the multi-destination component in our bilateral relationship.I think it will be an additional tool in our joint effort to not only maintain the dynamic and very close relationships that we have, but to take it to another level."
Also speaking at the launch on behalf of Jamaica's Ministry of Transport, Water and Housing, Dr Morais Guy revealed that the new partnership was a win-win situation for both countries that would add diversity to tourists' travelling options. Dr Guy said:
"We take pride in welcoming this group partnership."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...