Caribbean airline launches new flights between Cuba and Jamaica
This week Cuban short-haul airline, Aerogaviota, officially launched a new route servicing Jamaica and connecting the capital city of Havana to Jamaica's popular beach resort of Montego Bay. The airline, which already operated regular scheduled flights to Kingston thrice weekly from Havana will now offer a once weekly service to the famed white sands of Montego Bay, giving tourists more options when it comes to planning twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica.
Last Monday, Cuban regional airline Aerogaviota expanded its services to Jamaica with a new route between Montego Bay and Havana.
After three years of operating chartered flights between both countries' capitals, Aerogaviota, Cuba's youngest airline, has now connected Cuba's vibrant and exciting capital city of Havana to the powdery soft white sands of Montego Bay – Jamaica's favourite beach resort – with a new thrice weekly scheduled service.
Thus enhancing the options for tourists seeking twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica, the new scheduled flights between Havana and Montego Bay will serve a growing number of travellers seeking to experience these two neighbouring Caribbean islands.
After an official ceremony that took place on 26th August at Jamaica's Norman Manley Airport, the first Havana-Holguin-Montego Bay flight departed from Havana to mark the start of the new regular flights which would follow make a stop first in Cuba's tranquil beachside retreat of Holguin before reaching its final destination in the trendy Jamaica beach resort of Montego Bay.
With this new route another simultaneous route also launched, connecting Havana to Cuba's eastern province of Santiago de Cuba and Jamaica's capital city of Kingston. This means that Cuba and Jamaica will be now linked via three weekly flights on Mondays and Tuesdays with the Havana-Santiago de Cuba-Kingston route and the Havana-Holguin-Montego-Bay on Wednesdays.
According to the ambassador of Cuba in Jamaica, Yuri Gala, this new route will contribute to strengthening the ties of friendship and bilateral cooperation between the two Caribbean nations. Gala said:
"The launch will facilitate the flow of passengers between both countries. In a way this will also help the multi-destination component in our bilateral relationship.I think it will be an additional tool in our joint effort to not only maintain the dynamic and very close relationships that we have, but to take it to another level."
Also speaking at the launch on behalf of Jamaica's Ministry of Transport, Water and Housing, Dr Morais Guy revealed that the new partnership was a win-win situation for both countries that would add diversity to tourists' travelling options. Dr Guy said:
"We take pride in welcoming this group partnership."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...