Caribbean airline launches new flights between Cuba and Jamaica
This week Cuban short-haul airline, Aerogaviota, officially launched a new route servicing Jamaica and connecting the capital city of Havana to Jamaica's popular beach resort of Montego Bay. The airline, which already operated regular scheduled flights to Kingston thrice weekly from Havana will now offer a once weekly service to the famed white sands of Montego Bay, giving tourists more options when it comes to planning twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica.
Last Monday, Cuban regional airline Aerogaviota expanded its services to Jamaica with a new route between Montego Bay and Havana.
After three years of operating chartered flights between both countries' capitals, Aerogaviota, Cuba's youngest airline, has now connected Cuba's vibrant and exciting capital city of Havana to the powdery soft white sands of Montego Bay – Jamaica's favourite beach resort – with a new thrice weekly scheduled service.
Thus enhancing the options for tourists seeking twin-centre holidays to Cuba and Jamaica, the new scheduled flights between Havana and Montego Bay will serve a growing number of travellers seeking to experience these two neighbouring Caribbean islands.
After an official ceremony that took place on 26th August at Jamaica's Norman Manley Airport, the first Havana-Holguin-Montego Bay flight departed from Havana to mark the start of the new regular flights which would follow make a stop first in Cuba's tranquil beachside retreat of Holguin before reaching its final destination in the trendy Jamaica beach resort of Montego Bay.
With this new route another simultaneous route also launched, connecting Havana to Cuba's eastern province of Santiago de Cuba and Jamaica's capital city of Kingston. This means that Cuba and Jamaica will be now linked via three weekly flights on Mondays and Tuesdays with the Havana-Santiago de Cuba-Kingston route and the Havana-Holguin-Montego-Bay on Wednesdays.
According to the ambassador of Cuba in Jamaica, Yuri Gala, this new route will contribute to strengthening the ties of friendship and bilateral cooperation between the two Caribbean nations. Gala said:
"The launch will facilitate the flow of passengers between both countries. In a way this will also help the multi-destination component in our bilateral relationship.I think it will be an additional tool in our joint effort to not only maintain the dynamic and very close relationships that we have, but to take it to another level."
Also speaking at the launch on behalf of Jamaica's Ministry of Transport, Water and Housing, Dr Morais Guy revealed that the new partnership was a win-win situation for both countries that would add diversity to tourists' travelling options. Dr Guy said:
"We take pride in welcoming this group partnership."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...