Barbados to implement money back scheme to counter rising APD Tax
In an effort to entice more UK holidaymakers to book holidays in Barbados, the island's tourism officials have announced that they will implement a "money back" scheme to enable Britons to recoup the cost of the Air Passenger Duty (APD) Tax. Visitors booking a stay at a participating hotel for a minimum of two weeks will receive a credit voucher equivalent to the sum of money paid in the APD Tax.
The UK's Air Passenger Duty (APD) has proved to be a major source of contention for the Caribbean region's tourism industry. Officials and key industry stakeholders from across the region have maintained that the steep tax has negatively impacted on the number of UK holidaymakers visiting the Caribbean in recent years.
The government of Barbados has taken matters into its own hands announcing its decision to implement a "money back" initiative that will allow travellers to recoup the cost of the APD Tax that is built into the cost of their flight to Barbados from the UK. Under the revolutionary initiative, those visitors who book a stay at a participating hotel in Barbados for a minimum of two weeks will receive a credit voucher equivalent to the amount paid towards the APD.
The decision has been welcomed by the Barbados Hotel and Tourism Association as several local hoteliers have raised concerns over the impact the APD has had on business.
The APD Tax has risen to as much as £83 per person for those flying to Barbados in economy class and much higher for anyone hoping to travel in business or first class. Many say that it is no coincidence that along with the steady increase in the APD, arrivals from the UK- one of Barbados' key source markets, has dropped by approximately 10 per cent from 2012 figures.
Much of the controversy over the tax has stemmed from the current methods used to calculate the APD as it is said to work to the disadvantage of the Caribbean region. The APD calculated according to the distance between UK capital and the capital city of the destination, is inherently biased towards the United States.
The end result is a higher tax for Caribbean holidays than for holidays to US destinations located west of the East Coast cities, despite the fact that they are further away. As a result budget conscious travellers are likely to favor destinations like Hawaii over Caribbean destination like Barbados, Jamaica, St Lucia and Trinidad and Tobago.
There are reports that Caribbean High Commissioners in the UK will soon renew their lobbying efforts for a removal of the APD or at the very least a review of the current method for calculating the tax. However, the outlook remains grim for the Caribbean region as despite widespread pressure in the past from Caribbean government officials, airlines and passengers, the UK government has so far stood its ground on the issue.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...