U.S. musician becomes first person to paddle board from Cuba to Florida
A musician from the U.S. has just become the first ever man to cross the waters that separate the U.S from Cuba on a paddle board. Last Friday, guitarist Ben Friberg successfully paddle-boarded from a port in Havana to Key West in Florida after a 28-hour journey.
Ben Friberg, a guitarist from the U.S. has become the first ever man to attempt and successfully accomplish the enormous feat of crossing the Cuba-Florida stretch on a paddle board.
The 35-year-old arrived at his destination in Florida last Friday after a long and exhausting 28-hour journey along the Caribbean Sea. For most of the trip he stood on his paddle board and had to manage his pain throughout the arduous 111-mile-long journey.
He was accompanied by a support boat with his father being one of the crew members giving him support and encouraging him. The rest of the crew provided navigational advice as well as nutrition.
It took Ben Friberg a whole year to secure permission for the trip (currently American citizens aren't allowed to take holidays to Cuba unless it is for cultural or educational purposes and they require a special license to visit the island under the "people to people" travel scheme).
After leaving Cuba's Marina Hemingway headed for Florida's Key West, the Tenessee musician embarked on a daunting adventure where he encountered rough seas and physical challenges but despite all the obstacles he soldiered on and arrived safely to shore, though dehydrated and visibly exhausted, but otherwise healthy.
For the trip he wore protective clothing to shield him from the Caribbean sun – long socks, a long-sleeved white T-shirt and peaked cap.
Just before leaving Havana, Friberg announced that he was attempting the crossover "to promote peace and understanding between Cuba and the US and to promote a healthy lifestyle."
In the past swimmers have attempted numerous times to cross the 111-mile distance that separates the two neighbouring countries but have had to abandon the effort after painful jellyfish stings and difficult swimming conditions due to choppy waters. Such was the case for Australian endurance swimmer Chloe McCardel who attempted the swim just last June and 61-year-old, Diana Nyad who attempted it for a fourth time in August 2012 and also failed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...