U.S. musician becomes first person to paddle board from Cuba to Florida
A musician from the U.S. has just become the first ever man to cross the waters that separate the U.S from Cuba on a paddle board. Last Friday, guitarist Ben Friberg successfully paddle-boarded from a port in Havana to Key West in Florida after a 28-hour journey.
Ben Friberg, a guitarist from the U.S. has become the first ever man to attempt and successfully accomplish the enormous feat of crossing the Cuba-Florida stretch on a paddle board.
The 35-year-old arrived at his destination in Florida last Friday after a long and exhausting 28-hour journey along the Caribbean Sea. For most of the trip he stood on his paddle board and had to manage his pain throughout the arduous 111-mile-long journey.
He was accompanied by a support boat with his father being one of the crew members giving him support and encouraging him. The rest of the crew provided navigational advice as well as nutrition.
It took Ben Friberg a whole year to secure permission for the trip (currently American citizens aren't allowed to take holidays to Cuba unless it is for cultural or educational purposes and they require a special license to visit the island under the "people to people" travel scheme).
After leaving Cuba's Marina Hemingway headed for Florida's Key West, the Tenessee musician embarked on a daunting adventure where he encountered rough seas and physical challenges but despite all the obstacles he soldiered on and arrived safely to shore, though dehydrated and visibly exhausted, but otherwise healthy.
For the trip he wore protective clothing to shield him from the Caribbean sun – long socks, a long-sleeved white T-shirt and peaked cap.
Just before leaving Havana, Friberg announced that he was attempting the crossover "to promote peace and understanding between Cuba and the US and to promote a healthy lifestyle."
In the past swimmers have attempted numerous times to cross the 111-mile distance that separates the two neighbouring countries but have had to abandon the effort after painful jellyfish stings and difficult swimming conditions due to choppy waters. Such was the case for Australian endurance swimmer Chloe McCardel who attempted the swim just last June and 61-year-old, Diana Nyad who attempted it for a fourth time in August 2012 and also failed.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...