Barbados to give credit vouchers to tourists to offset APD
The Barbados government is looking to offer British tourists credit vouchers to offset the cost of APD (Air Passenger Duty) during their Barbados holidays. The tax has had a negative effect on the island's tourist industry and the tourism minister Richard Sealy is keen to encourage British holidaymakers to visit the Caribbean island.
British travellers planning to visit the Caribbean island of Barbados could receive tourist vouchers when they arrive on the island in an attempt to offset the cost of Air Passenger Duty (APD).
The rise cost of APD has had a negative effect on the number of British tourists taking Barbados holidays and the Tourism Minister, Richard Sealy, is keen to entice travellers back to the tropical island.
The credit vouchers will be up to a specific amount and will be given to tourists who stay at participating Barbados hotels for a minimum of two weeks and they are expected to draw immediate results. Mr Sealy said that the voucher scheme forms part of a 10-point plan in a bid to boost the island's tourism industry.
"We needed to do something special in our main market…The APD has had a devastating effect on the Caribbean region. We think this is a good way to counteract the impact of the APD, and allow us to have greater spending on the ground and more bed-nights."
Mr Sealy explained. The tourism minister said that APD is one of the main concerns for hoteliers on the island.
APD is calculated according to how far away the capital of a country is from the United Kingdom. Though Florida and Hawaii are located further from the UK, the country's capital Washington is closer than many Caribbean capital cities, so passengers taking flights to the Caribbean are charged more.
In April this year, APD rose to £83 per person on an economy-class flight to the Caribbean which is a significant amount during these turbulent economic times.
Caribbean high commissioners in the UK and campaigners from tour operators and airports are planning a renewed lobby against the tax, which is said to unfairly discriminate against the Caribbean islands.
The island of Barbados is located in the Caribbean and is home to an array of breathtaking landscapes. In Barbados, tourists can go scuba diving or snorkelling in crystal clear waters where they can explore the colourful coral reefs and hundreds of marine species.
There are many verdant nature reserves to hike through such as the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary and visit the charming towns of Holetown, Speightstown, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown are great places to learn about the island's history.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale extended - with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Experience the authentic Caribbean and the friendly atmosphere of the Bajans with complimentary room upgrades available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- New Flash Sale - Incredible FREE room upgrades on all room types - saving upto £600 per person
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Stay at Sandals Barbados the first and only Luxury Included® Resort exclusively designed for couples and make the most of time away with that special someone.
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- A choice of 11 Five star Global Gourmet™ options including room service for Butler Serviced Suites and Club Sandals accommodations including the first Indian Restaurant featured in any Sandals hotel and complimentary transfers
- Located on the sunny southern coast of the beautifully vibrant island, set on the pristine sands of Dover Beach and set amongst acres of lush tropical gardens
- Choose from endless daytime activities such as Body Boarding, Wind Surfing, Hobie Cat Sailing and Kayaking
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Set in lush gardens beside the azure waters of the Caribbean Sea, The Club Barbados is a tranquil and relaxing haven....
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...