OFAC approve more licences for "people-to-people" Cuba travel
After restrictions on Cuba travel were eased by President Obama's administration in 2011, more companies have now been approved to offer Cuba holidays for American residents. Over the last two weeks alone, five travel companies have received their licences for cultural people-to-people programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is set to receive more tourists over the coming months as more travel and tour companies in the United States get the go-ahead for licences for cultural "people-to-people" programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, allowing them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, and educational purposes.
Over the past two weeks, five more companies have been approved to provide Cuba holidays for American after they were granted a licence from .the US. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
One of these travel companies is Abercrombie and Kent USA who had attempted to provide Cuba travel for Americans in 2011 but it pulled its programmes pending a review from OFAC.
The company's licence has now been approved and their first trip to Cuba will launch on 6th September, 2013 with additional departures scheduled for later this year and 2014.
Two travel companies received their two-year license renewals. Insight Cuba's programmes in partnership with General Tours World Traveler now operate Cuba travel programmes until 2015.
"We're thrilled to receive our renewed license and look forward to our continued relationship with General Tours to send even more guests to Cuba."
Stated Tom Popper, the President of Insight Cuba.
Bob Drumm, the President of General Tours World Traveler, said the renewal was "fantastic news for us and the agent community," and that agents can book clients "even further in advance with complete peace of mind. A key message that agents need to relay is that now is the time to visit and experience Cuba before it changes."
Road Scholar, a Boston-based group, will be providing "people-to-people" programmes in December, 2013 until March, 2014. Travellers taking holidays to Cuba with the company will travel on a cruise ship which is operated by a Canadian company.
While the vessel can carry up to 1,000 travellers, most of whom will be Canadians and Europeans, the Road Scholar group is limited to 24 participants and it will use its own itinerary of educational and cultural interchanges and interactions with Cubans when the ship is in Cuban ports.
Universal Travel System and Tauck Tours are the two other companies who will provide itineraries for travel to Cuba later this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...