OFAC approve more licences for "people-to-people" Cuba travel
After restrictions on Cuba travel were eased by President Obama's administration in 2011, more companies have now been approved to offer Cuba holidays for American residents. Over the last two weeks alone, five travel companies have received their licences for cultural people-to-people programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
The Caribbean island of Cuba is set to receive more tourists over the coming months as more travel and tour companies in the United States get the go-ahead for licences for cultural "people-to-people" programmes from the U.S. to Cuba.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents, allowing them to travel to the island for cultural, religious, academic, and educational purposes.
Over the past two weeks, five more companies have been approved to provide Cuba holidays for American after they were granted a licence from .the US. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
One of these travel companies is Abercrombie and Kent USA who had attempted to provide Cuba travel for Americans in 2011 but it pulled its programmes pending a review from OFAC.
The company's licence has now been approved and their first trip to Cuba will launch on 6th September, 2013 with additional departures scheduled for later this year and 2014.
Two travel companies received their two-year license renewals. Insight Cuba's programmes in partnership with General Tours World Traveler now operate Cuba travel programmes until 2015.
"We're thrilled to receive our renewed license and look forward to our continued relationship with General Tours to send even more guests to Cuba."
Stated Tom Popper, the President of Insight Cuba.
Bob Drumm, the President of General Tours World Traveler, said the renewal was "fantastic news for us and the agent community," and that agents can book clients "even further in advance with complete peace of mind. A key message that agents need to relay is that now is the time to visit and experience Cuba before it changes."
Road Scholar, a Boston-based group, will be providing "people-to-people" programmes in December, 2013 until March, 2014. Travellers taking holidays to Cuba with the company will travel on a cruise ship which is operated by a Canadian company.
While the vessel can carry up to 1,000 travellers, most of whom will be Canadians and Europeans, the Road Scholar group is limited to 24 participants and it will use its own itinerary of educational and cultural interchanges and interactions with Cubans when the ship is in Cuban ports.
Universal Travel System and Tauck Tours are the two other companies who will provide itineraries for travel to Cuba later this year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...