American tour company announces plans for new cruises to Cuba
An U.S tour company based in Boston has recently joined the ever-growing list of American travel firms to have obtained a people-to-people license that enables them to organise cultural and educational holidays to Cuba. The company has announced new cruises to Cuba departing from Miami and Jamaica.
Road Scholar, a Boston-based company that specialises in organising educational tours and trips for adults, has recently unveiled plans to launch a new cruise tour departing from Jamaica and Miami and calling at Havana and other Cuban cities and towns.
The launch of the new "people-to-people" tour programme meets the regulations that allow U.S citizens and residents to visit the otherwise forbidden Caribbean island nation. Obama's revolutionary "people to people" travel scheme now allows American people to visit Cuba in educational tours that are culturally-enriching for both parties and which, for the first time, facilitate interaction between the average Cuban citizen and American visitors.
And now, after obtaining the right license from the U.S. Treasury Department, Road Scholar is ready to transport U.S. travellers to the island for educational and cultural trips to Cuba.
In an email, the U.S. Treasury Department backed the Boston company's decision to offer new "people-to-people" experiences by confirming that "whether by bus, boat or taxi" in Cuba is permitted as part of the people-to-people programs as long as it does not detract from a "full-time schedule of educational activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba."
In order to be approved by the U.S. government people-to-people trips must include cultural and educational exchange itineraries.
Speaking on Road Scholar's behalf, Yves Marceau, director of international programmes, declared that the company "designed all the port programs to be consistent with those regulations, including a visit to an agricultural cooperative and meetings with artists."
Thanks to this travel scheme, the enigmatic island of Cuba that for so many years had remained locked and off-limits for Americans, has once more opened up to welcome citizens from their big next door neighbour. While most travel to Cuba is still strictly prohibited, thanks to the new scheme, thousands of U.S. travellers now legally visit the island in "people-to-people" trips.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...