American tour company announces plans for new cruises to Cuba
An U.S tour company based in Boston has recently joined the ever-growing list of American travel firms to have obtained a people-to-people license that enables them to organise cultural and educational holidays to Cuba. The company has announced new cruises to Cuba departing from Miami and Jamaica.
Road Scholar, a Boston-based company that specialises in organising educational tours and trips for adults, has recently unveiled plans to launch a new cruise tour departing from Jamaica and Miami and calling at Havana and other Cuban cities and towns.
The launch of the new "people-to-people" tour programme meets the regulations that allow U.S citizens and residents to visit the otherwise forbidden Caribbean island nation. Obama's revolutionary "people to people" travel scheme now allows American people to visit Cuba in educational tours that are culturally-enriching for both parties and which, for the first time, facilitate interaction between the average Cuban citizen and American visitors.
And now, after obtaining the right license from the U.S. Treasury Department, Road Scholar is ready to transport U.S. travellers to the island for educational and cultural trips to Cuba.
In an email, the U.S. Treasury Department backed the Boston company's decision to offer new "people-to-people" experiences by confirming that "whether by bus, boat or taxi" in Cuba is permitted as part of the people-to-people programs as long as it does not detract from a "full-time schedule of educational activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba."
In order to be approved by the U.S. government people-to-people trips must include cultural and educational exchange itineraries.
Speaking on Road Scholar's behalf, Yves Marceau, director of international programmes, declared that the company "designed all the port programs to be consistent with those regulations, including a visit to an agricultural cooperative and meetings with artists."
Thanks to this travel scheme, the enigmatic island of Cuba that for so many years had remained locked and off-limits for Americans, has once more opened up to welcome citizens from their big next door neighbour. While most travel to Cuba is still strictly prohibited, thanks to the new scheme, thousands of U.S. travellers now legally visit the island in "people-to-people" trips.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...