American tour company announces plans for new cruises to Cuba
An U.S tour company based in Boston has recently joined the ever-growing list of American travel firms to have obtained a people-to-people license that enables them to organise cultural and educational holidays to Cuba. The company has announced new cruises to Cuba departing from Miami and Jamaica.
Road Scholar, a Boston-based company that specialises in organising educational tours and trips for adults, has recently unveiled plans to launch a new cruise tour departing from Jamaica and Miami and calling at Havana and other Cuban cities and towns.
The launch of the new "people-to-people" tour programme meets the regulations that allow U.S citizens and residents to visit the otherwise forbidden Caribbean island nation. Obama's revolutionary "people to people" travel scheme now allows American people to visit Cuba in educational tours that are culturally-enriching for both parties and which, for the first time, facilitate interaction between the average Cuban citizen and American visitors.
And now, after obtaining the right license from the U.S. Treasury Department, Road Scholar is ready to transport U.S. travellers to the island for educational and cultural trips to Cuba.
In an email, the U.S. Treasury Department backed the Boston company's decision to offer new "people-to-people" experiences by confirming that "whether by bus, boat or taxi" in Cuba is permitted as part of the people-to-people programs as long as it does not detract from a "full-time schedule of educational activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba."
In order to be approved by the U.S. government people-to-people trips must include cultural and educational exchange itineraries.
Speaking on Road Scholar's behalf, Yves Marceau, director of international programmes, declared that the company "designed all the port programs to be consistent with those regulations, including a visit to an agricultural cooperative and meetings with artists."
Thanks to this travel scheme, the enigmatic island of Cuba that for so many years had remained locked and off-limits for Americans, has once more opened up to welcome citizens from their big next door neighbour. While most travel to Cuba is still strictly prohibited, thanks to the new scheme, thousands of U.S. travellers now legally visit the island in "people-to-people" trips.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...