American tour company announces plans for new cruises to Cuba
An U.S tour company based in Boston has recently joined the ever-growing list of American travel firms to have obtained a people-to-people license that enables them to organise cultural and educational holidays to Cuba. The company has announced new cruises to Cuba departing from Miami and Jamaica.
Road Scholar, a Boston-based company that specialises in organising educational tours and trips for adults, has recently unveiled plans to launch a new cruise tour departing from Jamaica and Miami and calling at Havana and other Cuban cities and towns.
The launch of the new "people-to-people" tour programme meets the regulations that allow U.S citizens and residents to visit the otherwise forbidden Caribbean island nation. Obama's revolutionary "people to people" travel scheme now allows American people to visit Cuba in educational tours that are culturally-enriching for both parties and which, for the first time, facilitate interaction between the average Cuban citizen and American visitors.
And now, after obtaining the right license from the U.S. Treasury Department, Road Scholar is ready to transport U.S. travellers to the island for educational and cultural trips to Cuba.
In an email, the U.S. Treasury Department backed the Boston company's decision to offer new "people-to-people" experiences by confirming that "whether by bus, boat or taxi" in Cuba is permitted as part of the people-to-people programs as long as it does not detract from a "full-time schedule of educational activities that will result in meaningful interaction between the travelers and individuals in Cuba."
In order to be approved by the U.S. government people-to-people trips must include cultural and educational exchange itineraries.
Speaking on Road Scholar's behalf, Yves Marceau, director of international programmes, declared that the company "designed all the port programs to be consistent with those regulations, including a visit to an agricultural cooperative and meetings with artists."
Thanks to this travel scheme, the enigmatic island of Cuba that for so many years had remained locked and off-limits for Americans, has once more opened up to welcome citizens from their big next door neighbour. While most travel to Cuba is still strictly prohibited, thanks to the new scheme, thousands of U.S. travellers now legally visit the island in "people-to-people" trips.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...