Republicans call for restrictions following controversial Beyonce and Jay-Z trip to Cuba
After visiting the Caribbean island of Cuba, earlier this year, international pop star Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z could trigger tougher government regulations on travel to the country if the Republicans' new bill gets approval. The bill would limit the use of funding from the Department of Treasury that approves "travel-related or other transactions incident to non-academic educational exchanges".
Pop star Beyonce and her husband Jay-Z's visit to Cuba could trigger tougher restrictions on travel to the Caribbean island if a new bill issued by the Republicans' gets approval by Obama's administration.
The celebrity pair visited Havana in April this year to celebrate their 5th wedding anniversary but their trip came under scrutiny after it was announced that the Treasury Department had authorised the trip.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or "people to people exchanges".
The new bill has already been approved by a House Appropriations subcommittee which would limit the use of Department of Treasury funds to approve "travel-related or other transactions incident to non-academic educational exchanges"
Labelled as the "Jay-Z and Beyonce bill", the subcommittee's chair, Rep. Ander Crenshaw, stated that Jay-Z and Beyonce's trip was an "example" of how Americans could use legal loopholes to travel to Cuba, despite the strict United States trade embargo.
"I think that if we're going to say that we have this policy in place that relates to travel in Cuba, that it ought to be enforced, and that becomes a grey area where they're probably not really following the guidelines," Crenshaw commented.
Beyonce and her husband stayed at the Saratoga Hotel in the capital city, Havana, and during their visit they posed for pictures on the balcony in front of crowds of fans, and dined at local restaurants.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea, situated south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It is rich in culture, heritage and history and is home to breathtaking landscapes such as white and golden sand beaches, thriving national parks, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...