Cruise arrivals in Jamaica expected to surpass 1.4 million by end of 2014
Cruise ship arrivals to Jamaica are expected to reach 1.4 million by the end of 2014, according to Tourism and Entertainment Minister, Dr. Wykeham McNeill. The figures are based on the port of call itinerary of cruise lines that are scheduled dock their ships on the island and bring holidaymakers to Jamaica throughout 2014.
Jamaica is expected to receive an influx of cruise arrivals over the next 18 months and according to the Tourism and Entertainment Minister Dr. Wykeham McNeill, this number could surpass 1.4 million by the end of 2014.
During his 2013/14 Sectoral Debate presentation last week, the Tourism Minister said that the figures are based on the port of call itinerary for cruise ships and this year, Disney Cruises will be bringing tourists to Jamaica for the first time.
The cruise line will be docking ships at the Falmouth pier in Trelawny via its Disney Wonder and Fantasy brands.
"We are also concentrating on home porting, and Montego Bay will see the AIDA Bella as well as the Louis Cristal Cuba Cruises home porting there, starting in November and December of this year, respectively," explained Dr. McNeill.
The port in Ocho Rios will also welcome the Norwegian Epic and a return of Royal Caribbean in 2014.
Dr. McNeill said that while the number of tourists who took cruise holidays and visited Jamaica in 2012 increased by 17.3 per cent in 2012, the figures for the end of this year are expected to be "marginally down".
"But, we have to view this in the context of two phenomenal years of growth after the opening of the Falmouth pier. I have every confidence that the tourism sector will meet the expectations we are placing on it, as the path ahead continues to offer promise of further growth, and destination Jamaica retains its international competitive edge," McNeill added.
Jamaica is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters and swaying palm trees; majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests; and an array of historical sites and attractions to visit, travellers will be spoilt for choice during their stay in Jamaica.
The Jamaica boasts a collection of boutique beachfront hotels, as well as family-friendly and all inclusive resorts that provide the perfect venue for romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...