Cruise arrivals in Jamaica expected to surpass 1.4 million by end of 2014
Cruise ship arrivals to Jamaica are expected to reach 1.4 million by the end of 2014, according to Tourism and Entertainment Minister, Dr. Wykeham McNeill. The figures are based on the port of call itinerary of cruise lines that are scheduled dock their ships on the island and bring holidaymakers to Jamaica throughout 2014.
Jamaica is expected to receive an influx of cruise arrivals over the next 18 months and according to the Tourism and Entertainment Minister Dr. Wykeham McNeill, this number could surpass 1.4 million by the end of 2014.
During his 2013/14 Sectoral Debate presentation last week, the Tourism Minister said that the figures are based on the port of call itinerary for cruise ships and this year, Disney Cruises will be bringing tourists to Jamaica for the first time.
The cruise line will be docking ships at the Falmouth pier in Trelawny via its Disney Wonder and Fantasy brands.
"We are also concentrating on home porting, and Montego Bay will see the AIDA Bella as well as the Louis Cristal Cuba Cruises home porting there, starting in November and December of this year, respectively," explained Dr. McNeill.
The port in Ocho Rios will also welcome the Norwegian Epic and a return of Royal Caribbean in 2014.
Dr. McNeill said that while the number of tourists who took cruise holidays and visited Jamaica in 2012 increased by 17.3 per cent in 2012, the figures for the end of this year are expected to be "marginally down".
"But, we have to view this in the context of two phenomenal years of growth after the opening of the Falmouth pier. I have every confidence that the tourism sector will meet the expectations we are placing on it, as the path ahead continues to offer promise of further growth, and destination Jamaica retains its international competitive edge," McNeill added.
Jamaica is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters and swaying palm trees; majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests; and an array of historical sites and attractions to visit, travellers will be spoilt for choice during their stay in Jamaica.
The Jamaica boasts a collection of boutique beachfront hotels, as well as family-friendly and all inclusive resorts that provide the perfect venue for romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- 2 Kids 14 and under stay and play free
- Famous for Watersports available on the beach plus a selection of other activities like the championship golf course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills from fine dining or casual
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility and Unlimited All Inclusive
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...