Cruise arrivals in Jamaica expected to surpass 1.4 million by end of 2014
Cruise ship arrivals to Jamaica are expected to reach 1.4 million by the end of 2014, according to Tourism and Entertainment Minister, Dr. Wykeham McNeill. The figures are based on the port of call itinerary of cruise lines that are scheduled dock their ships on the island and bring holidaymakers to Jamaica throughout 2014.
Jamaica is expected to receive an influx of cruise arrivals over the next 18 months and according to the Tourism and Entertainment Minister Dr. Wykeham McNeill, this number could surpass 1.4 million by the end of 2014.
During his 2013/14 Sectoral Debate presentation last week, the Tourism Minister said that the figures are based on the port of call itinerary for cruise ships and this year, Disney Cruises will be bringing tourists to Jamaica for the first time.
The cruise line will be docking ships at the Falmouth pier in Trelawny via its Disney Wonder and Fantasy brands.
"We are also concentrating on home porting, and Montego Bay will see the AIDA Bella as well as the Louis Cristal Cuba Cruises home porting there, starting in November and December of this year, respectively," explained Dr. McNeill.
The port in Ocho Rios will also welcome the Norwegian Epic and a return of Royal Caribbean in 2014.
Dr. McNeill said that while the number of tourists who took cruise holidays and visited Jamaica in 2012 increased by 17.3 per cent in 2012, the figures for the end of this year are expected to be "marginally down".
"But, we have to view this in the context of two phenomenal years of growth after the opening of the Falmouth pier. I have every confidence that the tourism sector will meet the expectations we are placing on it, as the path ahead continues to offer promise of further growth, and destination Jamaica retains its international competitive edge," McNeill added.
Jamaica is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With white sand beaches that are fringed with turquoise warm ocean waters and swaying palm trees; majestic mountains and lush rolling green hills and forests; and an array of historical sites and attractions to visit, travellers will be spoilt for choice during their stay in Jamaica.
The Jamaica boasts a collection of boutique beachfront hotels, as well as family-friendly and all inclusive resorts that provide the perfect venue for romantic weddings and honeymoons.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...