Discover the spirit of Jamaica at the Emancipation Jubilee
The annual Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee is one of the most vibrant and exciting events on the island's calendar, with thousands of locals and visitors coming together to celebrate Jamaica's African ancestors.
This year's theme for the event is Forever Free, with numerous performances by national and international groups set to take place, including the likes of Jonkunu, George Nooks, the Fab 5 Band, Port Morant Kumina and Tashina McKenzie.
For holidaymakers, this is a fantastic opportunity to learn more about Jamaica's heritage and to discover some of the upbeat and vibrant local music, with a host of performers due to take to the stage between 20:30 local time on July 31st and the early hours of August 1st, making this something of an all-night music marathon.
You can dance the night away to steel drum music, reggae tunes and gospel choirs, while there will be a range of local foods available from vendors at the festival, giving you a chance to get a real taste of Jamaica, too.
The Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee has been running for 17 years now and it marks one of the first contacts between people from the Americas, Africa and Europe, all of whom have had an influence on the nation's culture over the centuries.
In fact, the venue for the celebrations is worth a visit in its own right, as the Seville Heritage Park boasts some fascinating exhibits relating to the lives of the Tainos, Africans and Europeans who have all inhabited the island. It's worth pointing out, however, that the park is closed on Emancipation Day due to preparations for the evening's entertainment.
If you're staying in Ocho Rios, though, you'll be within easy reach of this attraction, so can visit it ahead of the Emancipation Jubilee and then join the crowds of revellers on July 31st to discover the spirit of Jamaica and its vibrant culture in all its glory.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....