Discover the spirit of Jamaica at the Emancipation Jubilee
The annual Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee is one of the most vibrant and exciting events on the island's calendar, with thousands of locals and visitors coming together to celebrate Jamaica's African ancestors.
This year's theme for the event is Forever Free, with numerous performances by national and international groups set to take place, including the likes of Jonkunu, George Nooks, the Fab 5 Band, Port Morant Kumina and Tashina McKenzie.
For holidaymakers, this is a fantastic opportunity to learn more about Jamaica's heritage and to discover some of the upbeat and vibrant local music, with a host of performers due to take to the stage between 20:30 local time on July 31st and the early hours of August 1st, making this something of an all-night music marathon.
You can dance the night away to steel drum music, reggae tunes and gospel choirs, while there will be a range of local foods available from vendors at the festival, giving you a chance to get a real taste of Jamaica, too.
The Jamaican Emancipation Jubilee has been running for 17 years now and it marks one of the first contacts between people from the Americas, Africa and Europe, all of whom have had an influence on the nation's culture over the centuries.
In fact, the venue for the celebrations is worth a visit in its own right, as the Seville Heritage Park boasts some fascinating exhibits relating to the lives of the Tainos, Africans and Europeans who have all inhabited the island. It's worth pointing out, however, that the park is closed on Emancipation Day due to preparations for the evening's entertainment.
If you're staying in Ocho Rios, though, you'll be within easy reach of this attraction, so can visit it ahead of the Emancipation Jubilee and then join the crowds of revellers on July 31st to discover the spirit of Jamaica and its vibrant culture in all its glory.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, introductory scuba lessons & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Club Ambiance's All Inclusive Resort & Spa is an adult's only resort offering 85 bright and spacious rooms. Each room...