Safe distance from coastline is an imperative for new hotels in Cuba
Cuba's Tourism Ministry recently announced that they would be demolishing buildings along Cuba's coastline to prevent further beach erosion after scientists have discovered that rising sea levels could severely damage 122 towns on the island. Many seaside restaurants and hotels are in the process of being torn down and while some properties such as Hotel Melia Marina Varadero and yacht club are safe, many others are contributing to coastline erosion.
Cuba's coastline is under threat after scientists discovered that rising sea levels and coastline erosion could seriously damage 122 towns on the Caribbean island.
While new hotels such as the Melia Marina Varadero are located a safe distance from the coastal damage, hundreds of other older properties are in the process of being demolished in an attempt to prevent further beach erosion.
Scientists are predicting that beaches could become submerged, freshwater sources could be tainted, and croplands made infertile as seawater travels 1.2 miles inland to low-lying areas.
After decades of haphazard coastal development, hundreds of hotels, restaurants and houses along the island's 3,500 miles of coastline will now have to be destroyed in a race to restore Cuba's natural coastline.
"The government realised that for an island like Cuba, long and thin, protecting the coasts is a matter of national security," explained Jorge Alvarez, the Director of Cuba's government-run Centre for Environmental Control and Inspection.
The Caribbean is facing the biggest risk from climate change and rising seas and strong hurricanes are posing a threat to coastal towns, cities and agriculture throughout the region.
Cuba is beginning to improve its tourism offerings by opening new hotels and golf courses along the picturesque coastline but these could be at risk if sea levels rise nearly three feet by the century's end as predicted by scientists.
Varadero is one prime example of Cuba's dilemma with an array of beachfront hotels, restaurants and pools that attract thousands of tourists visiting Cuba every year as well as millions in tourism revenue. Varadero Beach is one of the country's most popular beachfronts but if the buildings stay where they are, the beaches could be at risk from erosion.
Cayo Coco is another popular tourist resort region in Central Cuba that faces the very same problems and Cuban officials are trying to replenish lost sand in Varadero and Cayo Coco but it is an expensive solution. The costs range from $3 to $8 per cubic metre, but a single beach could span up to 1 million cubic metres of sand.
Government officials are now enforcing stricter regulations for new buildings. While new hotels such as the Melia Marina Varadero and yacht club, which opened last month, can stay where it is because it is located a safe distance from the sea, other new developments are being moved further inland.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...