Safe distance from coastline is an imperative for new hotels in Cuba
Cuba's Tourism Ministry recently announced that they would be demolishing buildings along Cuba's coastline to prevent further beach erosion after scientists have discovered that rising sea levels could severely damage 122 towns on the island. Many seaside restaurants and hotels are in the process of being torn down and while some properties such as Hotel Melia Marina Varadero and yacht club are safe, many others are contributing to coastline erosion.
Cuba's coastline is under threat after scientists discovered that rising sea levels and coastline erosion could seriously damage 122 towns on the Caribbean island.
While new hotels such as the Melia Marina Varadero are located a safe distance from the coastal damage, hundreds of other older properties are in the process of being demolished in an attempt to prevent further beach erosion.
Scientists are predicting that beaches could become submerged, freshwater sources could be tainted, and croplands made infertile as seawater travels 1.2 miles inland to low-lying areas.
After decades of haphazard coastal development, hundreds of hotels, restaurants and houses along the island's 3,500 miles of coastline will now have to be destroyed in a race to restore Cuba's natural coastline.
"The government realised that for an island like Cuba, long and thin, protecting the coasts is a matter of national security," explained Jorge Alvarez, the Director of Cuba's government-run Centre for Environmental Control and Inspection.
The Caribbean is facing the biggest risk from climate change and rising seas and strong hurricanes are posing a threat to coastal towns, cities and agriculture throughout the region.
Cuba is beginning to improve its tourism offerings by opening new hotels and golf courses along the picturesque coastline but these could be at risk if sea levels rise nearly three feet by the century's end as predicted by scientists.
Varadero is one prime example of Cuba's dilemma with an array of beachfront hotels, restaurants and pools that attract thousands of tourists visiting Cuba every year as well as millions in tourism revenue. Varadero Beach is one of the country's most popular beachfronts but if the buildings stay where they are, the beaches could be at risk from erosion.
Cayo Coco is another popular tourist resort region in Central Cuba that faces the very same problems and Cuban officials are trying to replenish lost sand in Varadero and Cayo Coco but it is an expensive solution. The costs range from $3 to $8 per cubic metre, but a single beach could span up to 1 million cubic metres of sand.
Government officials are now enforcing stricter regulations for new buildings. While new hotels such as the Melia Marina Varadero and yacht club, which opened last month, can stay where it is because it is located a safe distance from the sea, other new developments are being moved further inland.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...