Swimmer forced to abandon swim from Cuba to Florida after being stung by Jellyfish
The Australian endurance swimmer, Chloe McCardel has ended her attempt to become the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by a jellyfish. The 28-year-old athlete from Melbourne was forced to abandon the 103-mile swim after reaching 19 km in 11 hours. A swarm of jellyfish surrounded her and the swimmer was rescued by her support team and taken to Key West.
Chloe McCardel, an Australian swimmer has been forced to abandon her attempt to swim 166 km without a protective shark cage from the Caribbean island of Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by jellyfish.
The endurance swimmer was 11 hours and 19 km into the expected 60-hour swim when she was surrounded by a swarm of jellyfish and stung.
"It felt like something was attacking me. It wasn't a shark, I can tell you that. It didn't have big teeth, but it was, it was like being zapped," the 28-year-old athlete explained.
"I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth. But, I don't remember this moment – my kayaker told me that I was doing this, because I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer left Marina Hemingway in Havana in Cuba at 10am local time on Wednesday in an attempt to swim across the Florida Straits nearly one year after swimmer Diana Nyad had to pull out of her fourth attempt of the journey.
The 62-year-old American was rescued from the water after she had been stung multiple times in the face by jellyfish.
"It's a tough night for Chloe McCardel, a superior swimmer and an exemplary spirit," Ms Nyad wrote on her Facebook page.
"I send Chloe congratulations for her many months of training and her courageous foray into those dangerous waters."
Chloe is now recovering in a hotel in Florida where she is recuperating from her injury.
As well as attempting to become the first Australian swimmer to make the journey without stopping or using a protective cage, Chloe also took part in the challenge to money in aid of cancer research, while dedicating the swim in part to her mother, a breast cancer survivor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...