Swimmer forced to abandon swim from Cuba to Florida after being stung by Jellyfish
The Australian endurance swimmer, Chloe McCardel has ended her attempt to become the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by a jellyfish. The 28-year-old athlete from Melbourne was forced to abandon the 103-mile swim after reaching 19 km in 11 hours. A swarm of jellyfish surrounded her and the swimmer was rescued by her support team and taken to Key West.
Chloe McCardel, an Australian swimmer has been forced to abandon her attempt to swim 166 km without a protective shark cage from the Caribbean island of Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by jellyfish.
The endurance swimmer was 11 hours and 19 km into the expected 60-hour swim when she was surrounded by a swarm of jellyfish and stung.
"It felt like something was attacking me. It wasn't a shark, I can tell you that. It didn't have big teeth, but it was, it was like being zapped," the 28-year-old athlete explained.
"I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth. But, I don't remember this moment – my kayaker told me that I was doing this, because I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer left Marina Hemingway in Havana in Cuba at 10am local time on Wednesday in an attempt to swim across the Florida Straits nearly one year after swimmer Diana Nyad had to pull out of her fourth attempt of the journey.
The 62-year-old American was rescued from the water after she had been stung multiple times in the face by jellyfish.
"It's a tough night for Chloe McCardel, a superior swimmer and an exemplary spirit," Ms Nyad wrote on her Facebook page.
"I send Chloe congratulations for her many months of training and her courageous foray into those dangerous waters."
Chloe is now recovering in a hotel in Florida where she is recuperating from her injury.
As well as attempting to become the first Australian swimmer to make the journey without stopping or using a protective cage, Chloe also took part in the challenge to money in aid of cancer research, while dedicating the swim in part to her mother, a breast cancer survivor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...