Swimmer forced to abandon swim from Cuba to Florida after being stung by Jellyfish
The Australian endurance swimmer, Chloe McCardel has ended her attempt to become the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by a jellyfish. The 28-year-old athlete from Melbourne was forced to abandon the 103-mile swim after reaching 19 km in 11 hours. A swarm of jellyfish surrounded her and the swimmer was rescued by her support team and taken to Key West.
Chloe McCardel, an Australian swimmer has been forced to abandon her attempt to swim 166 km without a protective shark cage from the Caribbean island of Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by jellyfish.
The endurance swimmer was 11 hours and 19 km into the expected 60-hour swim when she was surrounded by a swarm of jellyfish and stung.
"It felt like something was attacking me. It wasn't a shark, I can tell you that. It didn't have big teeth, but it was, it was like being zapped," the 28-year-old athlete explained.
"I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth. But, I don't remember this moment – my kayaker told me that I was doing this, because I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer left Marina Hemingway in Havana in Cuba at 10am local time on Wednesday in an attempt to swim across the Florida Straits nearly one year after swimmer Diana Nyad had to pull out of her fourth attempt of the journey.
The 62-year-old American was rescued from the water after she had been stung multiple times in the face by jellyfish.
"It's a tough night for Chloe McCardel, a superior swimmer and an exemplary spirit," Ms Nyad wrote on her Facebook page.
"I send Chloe congratulations for her many months of training and her courageous foray into those dangerous waters."
Chloe is now recovering in a hotel in Florida where she is recuperating from her injury.
As well as attempting to become the first Australian swimmer to make the journey without stopping or using a protective cage, Chloe also took part in the challenge to money in aid of cancer research, while dedicating the swim in part to her mother, a breast cancer survivor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...