Swimmer forced to abandon swim from Cuba to Florida after being stung by Jellyfish
The Australian endurance swimmer, Chloe McCardel has ended her attempt to become the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by a jellyfish. The 28-year-old athlete from Melbourne was forced to abandon the 103-mile swim after reaching 19 km in 11 hours. A swarm of jellyfish surrounded her and the swimmer was rescued by her support team and taken to Key West.
Chloe McCardel, an Australian swimmer has been forced to abandon her attempt to swim 166 km without a protective shark cage from the Caribbean island of Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by jellyfish.
The endurance swimmer was 11 hours and 19 km into the expected 60-hour swim when she was surrounded by a swarm of jellyfish and stung.
"It felt like something was attacking me. It wasn't a shark, I can tell you that. It didn't have big teeth, but it was, it was like being zapped," the 28-year-old athlete explained.
"I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth. But, I don't remember this moment – my kayaker told me that I was doing this, because I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer left Marina Hemingway in Havana in Cuba at 10am local time on Wednesday in an attempt to swim across the Florida Straits nearly one year after swimmer Diana Nyad had to pull out of her fourth attempt of the journey.
The 62-year-old American was rescued from the water after she had been stung multiple times in the face by jellyfish.
"It's a tough night for Chloe McCardel, a superior swimmer and an exemplary spirit," Ms Nyad wrote on her Facebook page.
"I send Chloe congratulations for her many months of training and her courageous foray into those dangerous waters."
Chloe is now recovering in a hotel in Florida where she is recuperating from her injury.
As well as attempting to become the first Australian swimmer to make the journey without stopping or using a protective cage, Chloe also took part in the challenge to money in aid of cancer research, while dedicating the swim in part to her mother, a breast cancer survivor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...