Swimmer forced to abandon swim from Cuba to Florida after being stung by Jellyfish
The Australian endurance swimmer, Chloe McCardel has ended her attempt to become the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by a jellyfish. The 28-year-old athlete from Melbourne was forced to abandon the 103-mile swim after reaching 19 km in 11 hours. A swarm of jellyfish surrounded her and the swimmer was rescued by her support team and taken to Key West.
Chloe McCardel, an Australian swimmer has been forced to abandon her attempt to swim 166 km without a protective shark cage from the Caribbean island of Cuba to Florida in the United States after being stung by jellyfish.
The endurance swimmer was 11 hours and 19 km into the expected 60-hour swim when she was surrounded by a swarm of jellyfish and stung.
"It felt like something was attacking me. It wasn't a shark, I can tell you that. It didn't have big teeth, but it was, it was like being zapped," the 28-year-old athlete explained.
"I had one coming out of my mouth. I was pulling it, this tentacle out of my mouth. But, I don't remember this moment – my kayaker told me that I was doing this, because I have no recollection. I'm not coming back. That's it."
The swimmer left Marina Hemingway in Havana in Cuba at 10am local time on Wednesday in an attempt to swim across the Florida Straits nearly one year after swimmer Diana Nyad had to pull out of her fourth attempt of the journey.
The 62-year-old American was rescued from the water after she had been stung multiple times in the face by jellyfish.
"It's a tough night for Chloe McCardel, a superior swimmer and an exemplary spirit," Ms Nyad wrote on her Facebook page.
"I send Chloe congratulations for her many months of training and her courageous foray into those dangerous waters."
Chloe is now recovering in a hotel in Florida where she is recuperating from her injury.
As well as attempting to become the first Australian swimmer to make the journey without stopping or using a protective cage, Chloe also took part in the challenge to money in aid of cancer research, while dedicating the swim in part to her mother, a breast cancer survivor.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...