Barbados beaches on the West Coast in process of being improved
Barbados beaches along the west coast are undergoing a significant transformation as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project. The project has been put in place to tackle the ongoing problem of coastal erosion and it will be protecting 1.5 km of shoreline in the Holetown area of the Caribbean island.
Several beaches in the Holetown area of Barbados are being protected as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project.
Barbados beaches along the Holetown stretch are being improved using techniques that have been successful on the Caribbean island's south coast such as breakwaters, groynes, headlands and beach nourishment.
The main purpose of the programme is to manage and prevent coastal erosion in the area and the four main objectives that will help improve many Barbados beaches include: shoreline stabilisation and erosion control; restoration of coastal habitats; improvement of public coastal access; and institutional strengthening for coastal management.
Groynes will be created at Colony Beach Club and Heron Bay, while Folkestone Marine Park is undergoing extensive work close to the Surfside Restaurant and bar and north of the area, just offshore.
Dr. Lorna Inniss, the Acting director of Barbados' Coastal Management Unit has stressed that the beaches are still very much open to locals and visitors alike but contractors are advising people to stay away from construction areas.
"The beach is not closed. The active construction zone, they are encouraging people to stay out and they are trying to make sure that they do in the area where the vehicles are, but the beach is not closed - no it is not," she explained.
The Holetown Waterfront Improvement project started in April, 2013 and will continue until 30th November, 2013.
Barbados is an island nation located in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela. The destination is a hotspot for tourists thanks to its wide selection of luxurious beachfront hotels and resorts, pristine white sugar-soft beaches, lush golf courses, gourmet restaurants and lively bars and nightclubs.
In Barbados, tourists can trek through lush nature reserves such as the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary and the Farley Hill National Park; shop in stylish boutiques and traditional street markets; visit the historic towns of Holetown, Speightstown, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown; or scuba dive and snorkel along thriving reefs in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...