Barbados beaches on the West Coast in process of being improved
Barbados beaches along the west coast are undergoing a significant transformation as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project. The project has been put in place to tackle the ongoing problem of coastal erosion and it will be protecting 1.5 km of shoreline in the Holetown area of the Caribbean island.
Several beaches in the Holetown area of Barbados are being protected as part of the Holetown Waterfront Improvement project.
Barbados beaches along the Holetown stretch are being improved using techniques that have been successful on the Caribbean island's south coast such as breakwaters, groynes, headlands and beach nourishment.
The main purpose of the programme is to manage and prevent coastal erosion in the area and the four main objectives that will help improve many Barbados beaches include: shoreline stabilisation and erosion control; restoration of coastal habitats; improvement of public coastal access; and institutional strengthening for coastal management.
Groynes will be created at Colony Beach Club and Heron Bay, while Folkestone Marine Park is undergoing extensive work close to the Surfside Restaurant and bar and north of the area, just offshore.
Dr. Lorna Inniss, the Acting director of Barbados' Coastal Management Unit has stressed that the beaches are still very much open to locals and visitors alike but contractors are advising people to stay away from construction areas.
"The beach is not closed. The active construction zone, they are encouraging people to stay out and they are trying to make sure that they do in the area where the vehicles are, but the beach is not closed - no it is not," she explained.
The Holetown Waterfront Improvement project started in April, 2013 and will continue until 30th November, 2013.
Barbados is an island nation located in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela. The destination is a hotspot for tourists thanks to its wide selection of luxurious beachfront hotels and resorts, pristine white sugar-soft beaches, lush golf courses, gourmet restaurants and lively bars and nightclubs.
In Barbados, tourists can trek through lush nature reserves such as the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary and the Farley Hill National Park; shop in stylish boutiques and traditional street markets; visit the historic towns of Holetown, Speightstown, and the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Bridgetown; or scuba dive and snorkel along thriving reefs in crystal clear turquoise ocean waters.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
- Taste delicious local cuisine at the poolside courtyard bistro
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Stay and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Venture to the island of Barbados where pristine beaches and the turquoise waters of the Caribbean await. To the south...