Varadero demolishes coastal buildings to prevent beach erosion
Cuba is in the process of demolishing buildings that were built upon the natural dunes in Varadero beach in an attempt to prevent erosion. The coastal resort is one of the leading holiday destinations in Cuba and so far, 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the sand dunes have been taken down along the 22-kilometre coastline, with a further 10 scheduled for demolition by the end of the year.
Buildings that have been constructed on the sand dunes of Varadero beach, Cuba are in the process of being knocked down in an attempt to prevent beach erosion.
The coastal resort is a popular holiday destination in Cuba and 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the area's sand dunes have already been demolished. A further 10 buildings are scheduled to be knocked down by the end of 2013.
According to Ivis Fernandez, an official from Cuba's Tourism Ministry (MINTUR), the main cause of beach erosion is the random construction on more than 400 beaches across the island nation and up to one metre of sandy beach is being lost each year.
The Cuban authorities are trucking additional sand to many beaches in the resort to try and "beef" them up because the process of beach erosion in irreversible.
"We're spreading the sand through a technique that in a short time restores the natural state of the beaches," explained Jose Luis Juanes, the chief of the Department of Coastal Procedures at the Oceanology Institute of the Environment, Science and Technology Ministry.
Varadero had just three hotels prior to 1990 but the resort has since become a leading destination for tourists and travellers. More hotels in Varadero have been built over the years which has significantly affected the coastal environment.
The resort now has 18,742 rooms and this year, and an estimated three million tourists are expected to visit Cuba this year, with large numbers heading to Varadero.
Varadero is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island. The region is one of the most popular beaches in Cuba with more than 20km of pristine white sand and several luxury beachfront all-inclusive resorts and hotels.
In Varadero visitors can enjoy beautiful natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and virgin cays; go scuba diving and snorkelling in the turquoise crystal-clear waters; or take excursions to Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, or visit nearby Cardenas City.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...