Varadero demolishes coastal buildings to prevent beach erosion
Cuba is in the process of demolishing buildings that were built upon the natural dunes in Varadero beach in an attempt to prevent erosion. The coastal resort is one of the leading holiday destinations in Cuba and so far, 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the sand dunes have been taken down along the 22-kilometre coastline, with a further 10 scheduled for demolition by the end of the year.
Buildings that have been constructed on the sand dunes of Varadero beach, Cuba are in the process of being knocked down in an attempt to prevent beach erosion.
The coastal resort is a popular holiday destination in Cuba and 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the area's sand dunes have already been demolished. A further 10 buildings are scheduled to be knocked down by the end of 2013.
According to Ivis Fernandez, an official from Cuba's Tourism Ministry (MINTUR), the main cause of beach erosion is the random construction on more than 400 beaches across the island nation and up to one metre of sandy beach is being lost each year.
The Cuban authorities are trucking additional sand to many beaches in the resort to try and "beef" them up because the process of beach erosion in irreversible.
"We're spreading the sand through a technique that in a short time restores the natural state of the beaches," explained Jose Luis Juanes, the chief of the Department of Coastal Procedures at the Oceanology Institute of the Environment, Science and Technology Ministry.
Varadero had just three hotels prior to 1990 but the resort has since become a leading destination for tourists and travellers. More hotels in Varadero have been built over the years which has significantly affected the coastal environment.
The resort now has 18,742 rooms and this year, and an estimated three million tourists are expected to visit Cuba this year, with large numbers heading to Varadero.
Varadero is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island. The region is one of the most popular beaches in Cuba with more than 20km of pristine white sand and several luxury beachfront all-inclusive resorts and hotels.
In Varadero visitors can enjoy beautiful natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and virgin cays; go scuba diving and snorkelling in the turquoise crystal-clear waters; or take excursions to Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, or visit nearby Cardenas City.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...