Varadero demolishes coastal buildings to prevent beach erosion
Cuba is in the process of demolishing buildings that were built upon the natural dunes in Varadero beach in an attempt to prevent erosion. The coastal resort is one of the leading holiday destinations in Cuba and so far, 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the sand dunes have been taken down along the 22-kilometre coastline, with a further 10 scheduled for demolition by the end of the year.
Buildings that have been constructed on the sand dunes of Varadero beach, Cuba are in the process of being knocked down in an attempt to prevent beach erosion.
The coastal resort is a popular holiday destination in Cuba and 19 buildings in Varadero and 21 on the area's sand dunes have already been demolished. A further 10 buildings are scheduled to be knocked down by the end of 2013.
According to Ivis Fernandez, an official from Cuba's Tourism Ministry (MINTUR), the main cause of beach erosion is the random construction on more than 400 beaches across the island nation and up to one metre of sandy beach is being lost each year.
The Cuban authorities are trucking additional sand to many beaches in the resort to try and "beef" them up because the process of beach erosion in irreversible.
"We're spreading the sand through a technique that in a short time restores the natural state of the beaches," explained Jose Luis Juanes, the chief of the Department of Coastal Procedures at the Oceanology Institute of the Environment, Science and Technology Ministry.
Varadero had just three hotels prior to 1990 but the resort has since become a leading destination for tourists and travellers. More hotels in Varadero have been built over the years which has significantly affected the coastal environment.
The resort now has 18,742 rooms and this year, and an estimated three million tourists are expected to visit Cuba this year, with large numbers heading to Varadero.
Varadero is located in the province of Matanzas on the Hicacos Peninsula on the north coast of the Caribbean island. The region is one of the most popular beaches in Cuba with more than 20km of pristine white sand and several luxury beachfront all-inclusive resorts and hotels.
In Varadero visitors can enjoy beautiful natural landscapes such as the Bellamar Caves and virgin cays; go scuba diving and snorkelling in the turquoise crystal-clear waters; or take excursions to Delfinario, a natural pool for dolphins, or visit nearby Cardenas City.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...