Afro-Cuban filmmaker urges more U.S black artists to experience Cuba
Gloria Rolando, a renowned Afro-Cuban filmmaker, is urging more well-known American black artists to follow in the footsteps of Jay Z and Beyonce by visiting Cuba so artists and filmmakers on the island can be showcased to the U.S audiences and cultural bridges between the two countries can be built from these experiences.
The famous Afro-Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando is urging more black U.S artists to visit the Caribbean island of Cuba, following the recent visit made by pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce.
The global superstars recently travelled to Cuba for their honeymoon and Rolando believes that if more black artists take Cuba holidays, cultural bridges between the United States and Cuba can be built.
The filmmaker was recently in the United States to promote her films, one of which was entitled "Roots of My Hear", and portrays the slaying of more than 6,000 members of the Independents of Colour rebellion in 1912, through interviews, newspaper clippings and photographs.
Rolando feels that if more American black artists like Beyonce and Jay-Z booked experience Cuba, artists and filmmakers would be able to showcase their work.
"It would help us to recognise our music, our culture, and our common history, and I think this is good," Rolando explained to the New Pittsburgh Courier in the United States.
"You have excellent musicians here, we have excellent musicians in Cuba, and I think we need to get to know each other.
"We have to share our history...I think it's good they travelled there for their honeymoon...I hope more travel to Cuba for holidays, for vacation, or cultural exchange, and to open this cultural bridge," she added.
"That's the whole reason I am here."
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Travel to Cuba has become much easier for U.S travellers over recent years after the ongoing United States-Cuba travel embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural (people to people) and professional reasons.
Popular destinations for holidays to Cuba include Havana, the capital city; Varadero a coastal resort town with more than 20km of white sandy beaches; and Jardines del Rey archipelago with a collection of islands including Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Villa Clara.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...