Afro-Cuban filmmaker urges more U.S black artists to experience Cuba
Gloria Rolando, a renowned Afro-Cuban filmmaker, is urging more well-known American black artists to follow in the footsteps of Jay Z and Beyonce by visiting Cuba so artists and filmmakers on the island can be showcased to the U.S audiences and cultural bridges between the two countries can be built from these experiences.
The famous Afro-Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando is urging more black U.S artists to visit the Caribbean island of Cuba, following the recent visit made by pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce.
The global superstars recently travelled to Cuba for their honeymoon and Rolando believes that if more black artists take Cuba holidays, cultural bridges between the United States and Cuba can be built.
The filmmaker was recently in the United States to promote her films, one of which was entitled "Roots of My Hear", and portrays the slaying of more than 6,000 members of the Independents of Colour rebellion in 1912, through interviews, newspaper clippings and photographs.
Rolando feels that if more American black artists like Beyonce and Jay-Z booked experience Cuba, artists and filmmakers would be able to showcase their work.
"It would help us to recognise our music, our culture, and our common history, and I think this is good," Rolando explained to the New Pittsburgh Courier in the United States.
"You have excellent musicians here, we have excellent musicians in Cuba, and I think we need to get to know each other.
"We have to share our history...I think it's good they travelled there for their honeymoon...I hope more travel to Cuba for holidays, for vacation, or cultural exchange, and to open this cultural bridge," she added.
"That's the whole reason I am here."
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Travel to Cuba has become much easier for U.S travellers over recent years after the ongoing United States-Cuba travel embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural (people to people) and professional reasons.
Popular destinations for holidays to Cuba include Havana, the capital city; Varadero a coastal resort town with more than 20km of white sandy beaches; and Jardines del Rey archipelago with a collection of islands including Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Villa Clara.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...