Afro-Cuban filmmaker urges more U.S black artists to experience Cuba
Gloria Rolando, a renowned Afro-Cuban filmmaker, is urging more well-known American black artists to follow in the footsteps of Jay Z and Beyonce by visiting Cuba so artists and filmmakers on the island can be showcased to the U.S audiences and cultural bridges between the two countries can be built from these experiences.
The famous Afro-Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando is urging more black U.S artists to visit the Caribbean island of Cuba, following the recent visit made by pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce.
The global superstars recently travelled to Cuba for their honeymoon and Rolando believes that if more black artists take Cuba holidays, cultural bridges between the United States and Cuba can be built.
The filmmaker was recently in the United States to promote her films, one of which was entitled "Roots of My Hear", and portrays the slaying of more than 6,000 members of the Independents of Colour rebellion in 1912, through interviews, newspaper clippings and photographs.
Rolando feels that if more American black artists like Beyonce and Jay-Z booked experience Cuba, artists and filmmakers would be able to showcase their work.
"It would help us to recognise our music, our culture, and our common history, and I think this is good," Rolando explained to the New Pittsburgh Courier in the United States.
"You have excellent musicians here, we have excellent musicians in Cuba, and I think we need to get to know each other.
"We have to share our history...I think it's good they travelled there for their honeymoon...I hope more travel to Cuba for holidays, for vacation, or cultural exchange, and to open this cultural bridge," she added.
"That's the whole reason I am here."
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Travel to Cuba has become much easier for U.S travellers over recent years after the ongoing United States-Cuba travel embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural (people to people) and professional reasons.
Popular destinations for holidays to Cuba include Havana, the capital city; Varadero a coastal resort town with more than 20km of white sandy beaches; and Jardines del Rey archipelago with a collection of islands including Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Villa Clara.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...