Afro-Cuban filmmaker urges more U.S black artists to experience Cuba
Gloria Rolando, a renowned Afro-Cuban filmmaker, is urging more well-known American black artists to follow in the footsteps of Jay Z and Beyonce by visiting Cuba so artists and filmmakers on the island can be showcased to the U.S audiences and cultural bridges between the two countries can be built from these experiences.
The famous Afro-Cuban filmmaker Gloria Rolando is urging more black U.S artists to visit the Caribbean island of Cuba, following the recent visit made by pop stars Jay-Z and Beyonce.
The global superstars recently travelled to Cuba for their honeymoon and Rolando believes that if more black artists take Cuba holidays, cultural bridges between the United States and Cuba can be built.
The filmmaker was recently in the United States to promote her films, one of which was entitled "Roots of My Hear", and portrays the slaying of more than 6,000 members of the Independents of Colour rebellion in 1912, through interviews, newspaper clippings and photographs.
Rolando feels that if more American black artists like Beyonce and Jay-Z booked experience Cuba, artists and filmmakers would be able to showcase their work.
"It would help us to recognise our music, our culture, and our common history, and I think this is good," Rolando explained to the New Pittsburgh Courier in the United States.
"You have excellent musicians here, we have excellent musicians in Cuba, and I think we need to get to know each other.
"We have to share our history...I think it's good they travelled there for their honeymoon...I hope more travel to Cuba for holidays, for vacation, or cultural exchange, and to open this cultural bridge," she added.
"That's the whole reason I am here."
Cuba is an island nation situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is rich in culture, heritage and history and boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels, and the world's second largest barrier reef.
Travel to Cuba has become much easier for U.S travellers over recent years after the ongoing United States-Cuba travel embargo was relaxed by U.S President Obama. American residents can now visit the island for religious, academic, educational, cultural (people to people) and professional reasons.
Popular destinations for holidays to Cuba include Havana, the capital city; Varadero a coastal resort town with more than 20km of white sandy beaches; and Jardines del Rey archipelago with a collection of islands including Cayo Coco, Cayo Guillermo and Villa Clara.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...