British golf project in Cuba is first to get the green light
The lavish golf project developed by British investment group, Esencia, just became the first to get approval from the Cuban government. The authorities are seeing great potential in the idea of creating a better standard of golf holidays in Cuba as more tourists visiting the island become interested in the sport.
Esencia, a renowned British investment group, was the first to be granted the green light and given the go-ahead on their luxurious golf project in Varadero, Cuba’s top beach resort. Seeing the huge potential in new clients wishing to spend golf holidays in Cuba, the island’s Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, announced that the Cuban government and the Esencia Group had made a formal agreement to begin construction of this costly project in 2014.
The group is very excited to finally begin the development of this £227 million project, named Carbonera. “We’ve been working on this for seven years, step by step,” stated Andrew McDonald, Esencia CEO “so we’re very excited it’s finally going to happen.” In addition to the large golf course, Carbonera will include a gated community with 650 apartments and villas, a hotel and a country club as well as a spa centre and yacht club.
However, it seems that the Carbonera plan will only be the first of many golf projects funded by foreign consortia to come. Minister of Tourism, Marrero declared at the recent FITCuba tourism fair that the government is already considering more deals with 10 foreign groups. The BBC has also reported that another golf project, this time with Chinese investment, is expected to get approval by the end of the year, as well as other projects funded by Spanish, Vietnamese and Russian investors. The Coral Capital Group, Canada’s Standing Feather International and a Spanish investor group who have formed joint ventures with the Cuban state company Palmares S.A. are also advancing in their projects.
The island’s Tourism Ministry is planning to turn Cuba into a golfing destination to rival other nearby options. According to Marrero, Cuba is planning to build at least 11 residential golf course resorts, in order to accomplish this goal. The income of tourists interested in golfing in Cuba will definitely boost the economy, as most golfers enjoy challenging themselves with new courses. “Golfers are known for travelling to new places, it’s a multi-billion industry,” said Andrew McDonald “I think Cuba will fit very well into that jigsaw, and be very popular.”
Nevertheless, these transformations wouldn’t be possible without the modification of Cuban laws concerning property. According to the reformed articles 221 and 222 of the Decree-law 273 published in the Gaceta Oficial No. 33, foreign developers and condo buyers are now allowed a 99-year leasehold of the land, which banks consider equivalent to ownership.
This is the first time in decades that foreigners are allowed to buy property in the island, an option which seems far more attractive for retirees than just going on relaxing Cuba holidays. Early figures already put forward that this market will be in high demand. “People retiring in Canada and Europe often look for a second home;” said the Cuban official in charge of developing the new sector, Gabriel Alvarez “Cuba has all the conditions to be an option for them: safety, nature, culture. So why not come here?”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...