British golf project in Cuba is first to get the green light
The lavish golf project developed by British investment group, Esencia, just became the first to get approval from the Cuban government. The authorities are seeing great potential in the idea of creating a better standard of golf holidays in Cuba as more tourists visiting the island become interested in the sport.
Esencia, a renowned British investment group, was the first to be granted the green light and given the go-ahead on their luxurious golf project in Varadero, Cuba’s top beach resort. Seeing the huge potential in new clients wishing to spend golf holidays in Cuba, the island’s Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero, announced that the Cuban government and the Esencia Group had made a formal agreement to begin construction of this costly project in 2014.
The group is very excited to finally begin the development of this £227 million project, named Carbonera. “We’ve been working on this for seven years, step by step,” stated Andrew McDonald, Esencia CEO “so we’re very excited it’s finally going to happen.” In addition to the large golf course, Carbonera will include a gated community with 650 apartments and villas, a hotel and a country club as well as a spa centre and yacht club.
However, it seems that the Carbonera plan will only be the first of many golf projects funded by foreign consortia to come. Minister of Tourism, Marrero declared at the recent FITCuba tourism fair that the government is already considering more deals with 10 foreign groups. The BBC has also reported that another golf project, this time with Chinese investment, is expected to get approval by the end of the year, as well as other projects funded by Spanish, Vietnamese and Russian investors. The Coral Capital Group, Canada’s Standing Feather International and a Spanish investor group who have formed joint ventures with the Cuban state company Palmares S.A. are also advancing in their projects.
The island’s Tourism Ministry is planning to turn Cuba into a golfing destination to rival other nearby options. According to Marrero, Cuba is planning to build at least 11 residential golf course resorts, in order to accomplish this goal. The income of tourists interested in golfing in Cuba will definitely boost the economy, as most golfers enjoy challenging themselves with new courses. “Golfers are known for travelling to new places, it’s a multi-billion industry,” said Andrew McDonald “I think Cuba will fit very well into that jigsaw, and be very popular.”
Nevertheless, these transformations wouldn’t be possible without the modification of Cuban laws concerning property. According to the reformed articles 221 and 222 of the Decree-law 273 published in the Gaceta Oficial No. 33, foreign developers and condo buyers are now allowed a 99-year leasehold of the land, which banks consider equivalent to ownership.
This is the first time in decades that foreigners are allowed to buy property in the island, an option which seems far more attractive for retirees than just going on relaxing Cuba holidays. Early figures already put forward that this market will be in high demand. “People retiring in Canada and Europe often look for a second home;” said the Cuban official in charge of developing the new sector, Gabriel Alvarez “Cuba has all the conditions to be an option for them: safety, nature, culture. So why not come here?”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...