Restoration of Cienfuegos' San Carlos Hotel to resume in 2nd half of 2013
It has been announced that the San Carlos Hotel restoration project will resume in the second half of 2013. The project, which is aimed at revamping the historical Art Deco building in UNESCO World Heritage site Cienfuegos, Cuba, is likely to propel the San Carlos hotel to the top of the list of the most popular boutique hotels in Cuba.
Project managers and investors responsible for the restoration and remodeling of the historic Hotel San Carlos property have announced that efforts to revive the historical Art Deco building in Cienfuegos, Cuba will resume in the second half of 2013.The nine million dollar investment is expected to take place over a period of 14 months.
Spokesperson from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism, Reinier Reguera noted that in addition to the 44 rooms and two luxury suites the hotel would also feature a rooftop garden. Architecture enthusiasts will be pleased to learn that despite the renovations, the historic building, which dates back as far as the 1930s, will be restored to all its former glory with architect Anibal Barrera adding that the interior design of the San Carlos hotel will stay true to the ArtDeco movement.
Once completed it is expected that the San Carlos Hotel, which will be operated by the Gran Caribe hotel group, will join the league of top boutique hotels in Cuba. Given its prime location, stiutated in the heart on Cienfuegos, Cuba a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the San Carlos Hotel will undoubtedly be the ideal accommodation for travellers interested in culturally enriching holidays to Cuba.
Despite the global economic downturn and the various restrictions placed on US travellers to Cuba, the island has become one of the Caribbean's top holiday destinations. Recent statistics from the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) have indicated that Cuba was one of the region's most visited destinations in 2012 second only to the Dominican Republic. Year on year figures showed a 4.5 per cent increase in the number of visitors to Cuba with over 2.83 million travellers booking Cuba holidays in 2012.
The island's rich culture and history coupled with its enigmatic appeal has undoubtedly been a key factor, however, the investments being made towards the restoration of historical Cuba hotels like the San Carlos Hotel will go along way in supporting the Caribbean island's continued efforts to boost its tourism industry in the coming years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...