Restoration of Cienfuegos' San Carlos Hotel to resume in 2nd half of 2013
It has been announced that the San Carlos Hotel restoration project will resume in the second half of 2013. The project, which is aimed at revamping the historical Art Deco building in UNESCO World Heritage site Cienfuegos, Cuba, is likely to propel the San Carlos hotel to the top of the list of the most popular boutique hotels in Cuba.
Project managers and investors responsible for the restoration and remodeling of the historic Hotel San Carlos property have announced that efforts to revive the historical Art Deco building in Cienfuegos, Cuba will resume in the second half of 2013.The nine million dollar investment is expected to take place over a period of 14 months.
Spokesperson from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism, Reinier Reguera noted that in addition to the 44 rooms and two luxury suites the hotel would also feature a rooftop garden. Architecture enthusiasts will be pleased to learn that despite the renovations, the historic building, which dates back as far as the 1930s, will be restored to all its former glory with architect Anibal Barrera adding that the interior design of the San Carlos hotel will stay true to the ArtDeco movement.
Once completed it is expected that the San Carlos Hotel, which will be operated by the Gran Caribe hotel group, will join the league of top boutique hotels in Cuba. Given its prime location, stiutated in the heart on Cienfuegos, Cuba a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the San Carlos Hotel will undoubtedly be the ideal accommodation for travellers interested in culturally enriching holidays to Cuba.
Despite the global economic downturn and the various restrictions placed on US travellers to Cuba, the island has become one of the Caribbean's top holiday destinations. Recent statistics from the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) have indicated that Cuba was one of the region's most visited destinations in 2012 second only to the Dominican Republic. Year on year figures showed a 4.5 per cent increase in the number of visitors to Cuba with over 2.83 million travellers booking Cuba holidays in 2012.
The island's rich culture and history coupled with its enigmatic appeal has undoubtedly been a key factor, however, the investments being made towards the restoration of historical Cuba hotels like the San Carlos Hotel will go along way in supporting the Caribbean island's continued efforts to boost its tourism industry in the coming years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...