Restoration of Cienfuegos' San Carlos Hotel to resume in 2nd half of 2013
It has been announced that the San Carlos Hotel restoration project will resume in the second half of 2013. The project, which is aimed at revamping the historical Art Deco building in UNESCO World Heritage site Cienfuegos, Cuba, is likely to propel the San Carlos hotel to the top of the list of the most popular boutique hotels in Cuba.
Project managers and investors responsible for the restoration and remodeling of the historic Hotel San Carlos property have announced that efforts to revive the historical Art Deco building in Cienfuegos, Cuba will resume in the second half of 2013.The nine million dollar investment is expected to take place over a period of 14 months.
Spokesperson from Cuba's Ministry of Tourism, Reinier Reguera noted that in addition to the 44 rooms and two luxury suites the hotel would also feature a rooftop garden. Architecture enthusiasts will be pleased to learn that despite the renovations, the historic building, which dates back as far as the 1930s, will be restored to all its former glory with architect Anibal Barrera adding that the interior design of the San Carlos hotel will stay true to the ArtDeco movement.
Once completed it is expected that the San Carlos Hotel, which will be operated by the Gran Caribe hotel group, will join the league of top boutique hotels in Cuba. Given its prime location, stiutated in the heart on Cienfuegos, Cuba a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the San Carlos Hotel will undoubtedly be the ideal accommodation for travellers interested in culturally enriching holidays to Cuba.
Despite the global economic downturn and the various restrictions placed on US travellers to Cuba, the island has become one of the Caribbean's top holiday destinations. Recent statistics from the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO) have indicated that Cuba was one of the region's most visited destinations in 2012 second only to the Dominican Republic. Year on year figures showed a 4.5 per cent increase in the number of visitors to Cuba with over 2.83 million travellers booking Cuba holidays in 2012.
The island's rich culture and history coupled with its enigmatic appeal has undoubtedly been a key factor, however, the investments being made towards the restoration of historical Cuba hotels like the San Carlos Hotel will go along way in supporting the Caribbean island's continued efforts to boost its tourism industry in the coming years.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...