Grandmother to set off on Charity Bike Ride across Cuba
A 67-year-old British grandmother is preparing for a 400km bike ride across the Caribbean island of Cuba to raise money for a cancer charity. While most people take Cuba holidays for sunshine and relaxation, Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk, will be hopping on her bike for five days of sponsored cycling.
A British grandmother is gearing up for a bike ride across Cuba in an attempt to raise money for a cancer charity.
While most people head off on their Cuba holidays for sunshine, sandy beaches and relaxation, 67-year-old Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk will be donning her cycling gear and riding 400km across the Caribbean island in just five days.
The super-fit grandmother will be raising money for the cancer charity Women V Cancer which supports Breast cancer care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.
Gill, a retired hairdresser, is a keen cyclist and has previously been on three cycling holidays around Europe over the years.
The cold British winter weather has hampered her training for her trip to Cuba.
"I haven't really been able to get out on my bike much, as I am waiting for the weather to warm up," Gill explained. "But I keep fit playing golf, tennis and doing Pilates. I play tennis every week, even in the winter, and am quite sporty for my age."
She said she wanted to travel to Cuba because it is for "such a brilliant cause".
"I felt I should do something to help people, especially as cervical cancer is not that well known," Gill commented.
Before Gill boards her flight to Cuba, she needs to raise £2,900 in sponsorship and has already organised several events, including a coffee morning which raised £300. The next fundraising event will be a quiz night taking place at the Ansell Centre on 20th April 20.
Gill can be sponsored at to www.justgiving.com/gilly-dutton.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is boasts cultural attractions, heritage and history and during holidays to Cuba, visitors can relax on pristine white and golden sand beaches; swim in turquoise ocean waters; explore and the world's second largest barrier reef.
There is a wide selection of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts to choose from and holidaymakers of all ages can enjoy holidays in Cuba thanks to its coastal resort towns with fun watersports; historical and vibrant cities such as the capital, Havana; and thriving nature reserves including the Gran Parque Nacional Sierra Maestra.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...