Grandmother to set off on Charity Bike Ride across Cuba
A 67-year-old British grandmother is preparing for a 400km bike ride across the Caribbean island of Cuba to raise money for a cancer charity. While most people take Cuba holidays for sunshine and relaxation, Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk, will be hopping on her bike for five days of sponsored cycling.
A British grandmother is gearing up for a bike ride across Cuba in an attempt to raise money for a cancer charity.
While most people head off on their Cuba holidays for sunshine, sandy beaches and relaxation, 67-year-old Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk will be donning her cycling gear and riding 400km across the Caribbean island in just five days.
The super-fit grandmother will be raising money for the cancer charity Women V Cancer which supports Breast cancer care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.
Gill, a retired hairdresser, is a keen cyclist and has previously been on three cycling holidays around Europe over the years.
The cold British winter weather has hampered her training for her trip to Cuba.
"I haven't really been able to get out on my bike much, as I am waiting for the weather to warm up," Gill explained. "But I keep fit playing golf, tennis and doing Pilates. I play tennis every week, even in the winter, and am quite sporty for my age."
She said she wanted to travel to Cuba because it is for "such a brilliant cause".
"I felt I should do something to help people, especially as cervical cancer is not that well known," Gill commented.
Before Gill boards her flight to Cuba, she needs to raise £2,900 in sponsorship and has already organised several events, including a coffee morning which raised £300. The next fundraising event will be a quiz night taking place at the Ansell Centre on 20th April 20.
Gill can be sponsored at to www.justgiving.com/gilly-dutton.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is boasts cultural attractions, heritage and history and during holidays to Cuba, visitors can relax on pristine white and golden sand beaches; swim in turquoise ocean waters; explore and the world's second largest barrier reef.
There is a wide selection of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts to choose from and holidaymakers of all ages can enjoy holidays in Cuba thanks to its coastal resort towns with fun watersports; historical and vibrant cities such as the capital, Havana; and thriving nature reserves including the Gran Parque Nacional Sierra Maestra.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...