Grandmother to set off on Charity Bike Ride across Cuba
A 67-year-old British grandmother is preparing for a 400km bike ride across the Caribbean island of Cuba to raise money for a cancer charity. While most people take Cuba holidays for sunshine and relaxation, Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk, will be hopping on her bike for five days of sponsored cycling.
A British grandmother is gearing up for a bike ride across Cuba in an attempt to raise money for a cancer charity.
While most people head off on their Cuba holidays for sunshine, sandy beaches and relaxation, 67-year-old Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk will be donning her cycling gear and riding 400km across the Caribbean island in just five days.
The super-fit grandmother will be raising money for the cancer charity Women V Cancer which supports Breast cancer care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.
Gill, a retired hairdresser, is a keen cyclist and has previously been on three cycling holidays around Europe over the years.
The cold British winter weather has hampered her training for her trip to Cuba.
"I haven't really been able to get out on my bike much, as I am waiting for the weather to warm up," Gill explained. "But I keep fit playing golf, tennis and doing Pilates. I play tennis every week, even in the winter, and am quite sporty for my age."
She said she wanted to travel to Cuba because it is for "such a brilliant cause".
"I felt I should do something to help people, especially as cervical cancer is not that well known," Gill commented.
Before Gill boards her flight to Cuba, she needs to raise £2,900 in sponsorship and has already organised several events, including a coffee morning which raised £300. The next fundraising event will be a quiz night taking place at the Ansell Centre on 20th April 20.
Gill can be sponsored at to www.justgiving.com/gilly-dutton.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is boasts cultural attractions, heritage and history and during holidays to Cuba, visitors can relax on pristine white and golden sand beaches; swim in turquoise ocean waters; explore and the world's second largest barrier reef.
There is a wide selection of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts to choose from and holidaymakers of all ages can enjoy holidays in Cuba thanks to its coastal resort towns with fun watersports; historical and vibrant cities such as the capital, Havana; and thriving nature reserves including the Gran Parque Nacional Sierra Maestra.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...