Grandmother to set off on Charity Bike Ride across Cuba
A 67-year-old British grandmother is preparing for a 400km bike ride across the Caribbean island of Cuba to raise money for a cancer charity. While most people take Cuba holidays for sunshine and relaxation, Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk, will be hopping on her bike for five days of sponsored cycling.
A British grandmother is gearing up for a bike ride across Cuba in an attempt to raise money for a cancer charity.
While most people head off on their Cuba holidays for sunshine, sandy beaches and relaxation, 67-year-old Gill Dutton from Hadleigh in Suffolk will be donning her cycling gear and riding 400km across the Caribbean island in just five days.
The super-fit grandmother will be raising money for the cancer charity Women V Cancer which supports Breast cancer care, Jo's Cervical Cancer Trust and Ovarian Cancer Action.
Gill, a retired hairdresser, is a keen cyclist and has previously been on three cycling holidays around Europe over the years.
The cold British winter weather has hampered her training for her trip to Cuba.
"I haven't really been able to get out on my bike much, as I am waiting for the weather to warm up," Gill explained. "But I keep fit playing golf, tennis and doing Pilates. I play tennis every week, even in the winter, and am quite sporty for my age."
She said she wanted to travel to Cuba because it is for "such a brilliant cause".
"I felt I should do something to help people, especially as cervical cancer is not that well known," Gill commented.
Before Gill boards her flight to Cuba, she needs to raise £2,900 in sponsorship and has already organised several events, including a coffee morning which raised £300. The next fundraising event will be a quiz night taking place at the Ansell Centre on 20th April 20.
Gill can be sponsored at to www.justgiving.com/gilly-dutton.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. The communist island is boasts cultural attractions, heritage and history and during holidays to Cuba, visitors can relax on pristine white and golden sand beaches; swim in turquoise ocean waters; explore and the world's second largest barrier reef.
There is a wide selection of mid-range and luxury Cuba hotels and resorts to choose from and holidaymakers of all ages can enjoy holidays in Cuba thanks to its coastal resort towns with fun watersports; historical and vibrant cities such as the capital, Havana; and thriving nature reserves including the Gran Parque Nacional Sierra Maestra.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...