Gay travellers put Cuba holidays on their list of top destinations
Cuba is slowly becoming one of the most popular destinations for gay travellers. The stunning beaches, great hotels and upbeat nightlife, along with the expansion of the country's gay culture, make Cuba holidays a fantastic choice for the LGBT community.
Gay travellers all around the world are now favouring Cuba, the largest Caribbean island, as one of the best getaway destinations. The expansion of Cuba’s gay culture and the loosening of US travel restrictions at the beginning of 2011, are some of the key factors that have made this growth of gay tourist income possible. Members of the LGBT community shouldn’t pass up on the great opportunity of knowing the island, relaxing in luxurious Cuba hotels, visiting its exciting music scenes and enjoying the upbeat nightlife.
And now, thanks to a special programme designed for the American gay holiday market, an excellent new trip offer to the island from 14th to 21st April has been created for gay travellers looking to spend quality Cuba holidays. Insight Cuba, the leading operator of licensed, people-to-people travel to Cuba, in partnership with luxury gay travel operator Coda International Tours, is offering an unforgettable seven-night trip to the capital, Havana, and Cienfuegos. Jim Smith, founder of Coda International Tours, stated that the island was a great option for gay tourists. “Gay travellers are usually on the cutting edge – they are the first to establish trends, not just to follow them; they’re going to places before they’re flooded with average tourists,” he stated “Cuba is a very warm and friendly destination and a big draw right now, especially for the gay market.”
Tom Popper, president of Insight Cuba, declared he was happy to take part in this new offer as he feels optimistic about the growth of gay tourism to the island. “We always love crafting custom itineraries for groups with varied interests, and are thrilled to offer this particular programme for the LGBT market,” he said “In additions to our signature people-to-people activities fostering touching exchanges with locals, participants will also be able to experience the thriving gay community in Cuba as the country propels towards more democratic ideas.”
The trip’s full and fun schedule will include five nights in Havana, the buoyant capital city, followed by two nights in the beautiful and unpolluted port city of Cienfuegos and a day trip to colonial Trinidad. The programme is filled with fun activities like attending a dance session of Ballet Folklorico de Trinidad and engaging with local musicians and artists at Callejon de Hamel, a street rife with art displays and public music performances. Participants will also get amazing cultural opportunities, like walking through Old Havana, a UNESCO World Heritage site, learning about organic farming at Organoponico Vivero and meeting with Cuban artists in their homes and workshops, such as Jose Fustar, called the “Picasso of the Caribbean”.
Gay acceptance in Cuban society has grown greatly in the past few years. This progress can be mostly attributed to the countless efforts of President Raul Castro’s daughter, Mariela Castro Espin, who is considered by many a hero for gay, bisexual and transgender rights in the island. An additional perk that will make holidays to Cuba for gay couples even more stimulating to the Insight Cuba/ Coda International Tour’s trip is that travellers will get the opportunity to visit the National Centre for Sex Education, of which Mariela Castro, who has advocated for equality in both and the Unites States, is director. Gradually, the Cuban people are embracing gay culture, as in May, 2008, they broadcasted a gay film on Cuban TV, Brokeback Mountain, and later that year sex-change operations were authorised. Perhaps in the near feature, the country will allow the legalisation of gay marriage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...