Gay travellers put Cuba holidays on their list of top destinations
Cuba is slowly becoming one of the most popular destinations for gay travellers. The stunning beaches, great hotels and upbeat nightlife, along with the expansion of the country's gay culture, make Cuba holidays a fantastic choice for the LGBT community.
Gay travellers all around the world are now favouring Cuba, the largest Caribbean island, as one of the best getaway destinations. The expansion of Cuba’s gay culture and the loosening of US travel restrictions at the beginning of 2011, are some of the key factors that have made this growth of gay tourist income possible. Members of the LGBT community shouldn’t pass up on the great opportunity of knowing the island, relaxing in luxurious Cuba hotels, visiting its exciting music scenes and enjoying the upbeat nightlife.
And now, thanks to a special programme designed for the American gay holiday market, an excellent new trip offer to the island from 14th to 21st April has been created for gay travellers looking to spend quality Cuba holidays. Insight Cuba, the leading operator of licensed, people-to-people travel to Cuba, in partnership with luxury gay travel operator Coda International Tours, is offering an unforgettable seven-night trip to the capital, Havana, and Cienfuegos. Jim Smith, founder of Coda International Tours, stated that the island was a great option for gay tourists. “Gay travellers are usually on the cutting edge – they are the first to establish trends, not just to follow them; they’re going to places before they’re flooded with average tourists,” he stated “Cuba is a very warm and friendly destination and a big draw right now, especially for the gay market.”
Tom Popper, president of Insight Cuba, declared he was happy to take part in this new offer as he feels optimistic about the growth of gay tourism to the island. “We always love crafting custom itineraries for groups with varied interests, and are thrilled to offer this particular programme for the LGBT market,” he said “In additions to our signature people-to-people activities fostering touching exchanges with locals, participants will also be able to experience the thriving gay community in Cuba as the country propels towards more democratic ideas.”
The trip’s full and fun schedule will include five nights in Havana, the buoyant capital city, followed by two nights in the beautiful and unpolluted port city of Cienfuegos and a day trip to colonial Trinidad. The programme is filled with fun activities like attending a dance session of Ballet Folklorico de Trinidad and engaging with local musicians and artists at Callejon de Hamel, a street rife with art displays and public music performances. Participants will also get amazing cultural opportunities, like walking through Old Havana, a UNESCO World Heritage site, learning about organic farming at Organoponico Vivero and meeting with Cuban artists in their homes and workshops, such as Jose Fustar, called the “Picasso of the Caribbean”.
Gay acceptance in Cuban society has grown greatly in the past few years. This progress can be mostly attributed to the countless efforts of President Raul Castro’s daughter, Mariela Castro Espin, who is considered by many a hero for gay, bisexual and transgender rights in the island. An additional perk that will make holidays to Cuba for gay couples even more stimulating to the Insight Cuba/ Coda International Tour’s trip is that travellers will get the opportunity to visit the National Centre for Sex Education, of which Mariela Castro, who has advocated for equality in both and the Unites States, is director. Gradually, the Cuban people are embracing gay culture, as in May, 2008, they broadcasted a gay film on Cuban TV, Brokeback Mountain, and later that year sex-change operations were authorised. Perhaps in the near feature, the country will allow the legalisation of gay marriage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...