Cuba to host 5th edition of the Montecristo Golf Cup
Cuba is getting ready to host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April. The event will take place from the 26th to 27th April and will be hosted at the Varadero Golf Club. If the success of last year's event is anything to go by, then tourism officials can expect to attract visitors from across the globe- highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry.
Some of the world's best golfers will be preparing to golf in Varadero following the Cuban Ministry of Tourism's announcement that the Caribbean island will host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April from the 25th to the 27th. The tournament, sponsored by Habanos maker of the world's finest cigars, will be held in the stunning resort town of Varadero at the Varadero Golf Club.
Registration will open on 25th April followed by two tournament days, the best individual net score from these two days will determine the winner of the 2013 Montecristo Cup. The awards dinner will be held on the 27th April at the Xanadu Mansion.
Od the event, Tony Jacklin, British golfer and winner of both The Open and the US Open stated, "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way offering a challenging and enjoyable game... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball!"
The previous edition of the tournament attracted golfers from across 100 different countries and regions highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry. An opportunity that has not gone unnoticed by Cuba's tourism officials. Since Fidel Castro's retirement, officials have declared that Cuba will be investing heavily in golf tourism as the island seeks to diversify its tourism brand away from a mere sun, sea and sand destination like many of its regional counterparts.
As recently as Q1 2012, Deputy Tourism Minister Alexis Trujillo stated that his ministry aimed to build up to 13 golf courses by 2020.
At the time it was said that plans for four golf resorts worth over $1bn were approved as negotiations were concluded with four foreign investor groups in partnership with state owned company Palmares S.A. Things have since gone quiet with no word as to when developments would begin.
The head of a British based golf consortium - the Esencia Group noted in 2012 press release that it would take some time to get things going, "Commitment to the development of golf in Cuba is strong... It's now a question of when. As it's an important innovative strategy in the development of tourism in Cuba, it is crucial to get it right, and this takes time" stated CEO of Esencia Group Andrew Macdonald.
In the meantime the Varadero golf club continues to generate a buzz in the golfing world with events like the eagerly anticipated Montecristo Golf Cup.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...