Cuba to host 5th edition of the Montecristo Golf Cup
Cuba is getting ready to host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April. The event will take place from the 26th to 27th April and will be hosted at the Varadero Golf Club. If the success of last year's event is anything to go by, then tourism officials can expect to attract visitors from across the globe- highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry.
Some of the world's best golfers will be preparing to golf in Varadero following the Cuban Ministry of Tourism's announcement that the Caribbean island will host the fifth Montecristo Golf Cup this April from the 25th to the 27th. The tournament, sponsored by Habanos maker of the world's finest cigars, will be held in the stunning resort town of Varadero at the Varadero Golf Club.
Registration will open on 25th April followed by two tournament days, the best individual net score from these two days will determine the winner of the 2013 Montecristo Cup. The awards dinner will be held on the 27th April at the Xanadu Mansion.
Od the event, Tony Jacklin, British golfer and winner of both The Open and the US Open stated, "Cuba is an ideal location for golf tournaments and has a bright future with regards to courses. The Montecristo Cup and Esencia Cup tournaments lead the way offering a challenging and enjoyable game... plus where else can you light up a cigar and strike the ball!"
The previous edition of the tournament attracted golfers from across 100 different countries and regions highlighting the opportunity that golf in Cuba holds for the island's tourism industry. An opportunity that has not gone unnoticed by Cuba's tourism officials. Since Fidel Castro's retirement, officials have declared that Cuba will be investing heavily in golf tourism as the island seeks to diversify its tourism brand away from a mere sun, sea and sand destination like many of its regional counterparts.
As recently as Q1 2012, Deputy Tourism Minister Alexis Trujillo stated that his ministry aimed to build up to 13 golf courses by 2020.
At the time it was said that plans for four golf resorts worth over $1bn were approved as negotiations were concluded with four foreign investor groups in partnership with state owned company Palmares S.A. Things have since gone quiet with no word as to when developments would begin.
The head of a British based golf consortium - the Esencia Group noted in 2012 press release that it would take some time to get things going, "Commitment to the development of golf in Cuba is strong... It's now a question of when. As it's an important innovative strategy in the development of tourism in Cuba, it is crucial to get it right, and this takes time" stated CEO of Esencia Group Andrew Macdonald.
In the meantime the Varadero golf club continues to generate a buzz in the golfing world with events like the eagerly anticipated Montecristo Golf Cup.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...