The Taj Mahal remains a key attraction for travellers embarking on India's Golden Triangle tours
The Telegraph's Stephen McClarence recently gave a glowing review of his trip to the Taj Mahal- one of the key attractions for tours of India's Golden Triangle. McClarence is of course not the first to be charmed by the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Like so many others who have made the journey, he noted the exotic appeal of this mystical mausoleum.
India is arguably one of the trendiest holiday destinations. Bookings to visit key attractions in Dehli, Agra and Jaipur - a combination known around the world as India's Golden Triangle make the largest contribution to the country's tourism industry and the wider economy.
The Telegraph's Stephen McClarence is the latest travel expert to declare India's Taj Mahal in Agra India to be "the trip of a lifetime". In his article, McCalarence captured the charm of the famous site best when he noted "It seems to float, as though painted on gauze: pink at dawn and dusk, dazzling white at noon, pearly silver by moonlight".
Each year holidaymakers from all around the world book tours of India, some in the quest for spiritual enlightenment others in the hopes of experiencing first hand India's exotic culture, breath taking landscapes and some of the world's greatest attractions including the exotic Taj Mahal.
The country's appeal is steadily growing in large part because it has been an integral feature of major novels and Hollywood hits in recent times including Slumdog Millionaire, Eat Pray Love, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and most recently The Life of Pi all of which have firmly planted the awe inspiring imagery of this exotic country in the minds of their audiences.
Of course the trouble with over romanticizing any destination is that the reality can be a shock to the system. With sometimes as many as 60 000 visitors a day converging on the magical mausoleum - a key attraction for India's Golden Triangle tours some may be put off by the crowds and the noise, but McClarence noted that the experience was well worth it.
"Such trips offer newcomers a taste of the exoticism they might expect from India: a pageant of palaces, forts, heat, dust, elephant rides and snake charmers. Because it's so firmly on the regular tourist trail, however, the Golden Triangle can also be a baptism of fire for first-timers, with a swarm of touts and hawkers rarely found elsewhere in modern India. Most visitors seem to reckon it's worth it, though, even if they may have to queue at the Taj to be photographed sitting where Princess Diana posed in such beguiling solitude back in 1992".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Enjoy a private tour with an extra £99 per person, £300 off the usual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Relax on the backwaters of Kerala upon an enchanting Houseboat
- Knowledgable, English speaking guide
Explore India's famed landmarks and rich culture on an all-encompassing adventure that leaves no stone unturned
- Call now to upgrade to a private tour, including a private car and driver, and personal local guides
- Envisage many world renowned sights including the Taj Mahal with amazing inclusions to experience such as an exclusive Rajasthani Feast
- During the tour you'll be able to enjoy various extras including a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, a Chambal River Safari and much more
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover the enchantment of India and marvel at the splendour of the Golden Triangle in style, then follow in the footsteps of the great sultans on a Tiger Safari
- See the Majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, see the Red Fort and then walk down the bustling streets of Chandni Chowk in Delhi
- Tour includes Horse Carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal and Elephant Ride to the Amber Fort
- Discover Ranthambore National Park's Jungle Safari
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
Enjoy an India adventure with this ten night tour of some of India's most mystical cities and attractions. This is a...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...