The Taj Mahal remains a key attraction for travellers embarking on India's Golden Triangle tours
The Telegraph's Stephen McClarence recently gave a glowing review of his trip to the Taj Mahal- one of the key attractions for tours of India's Golden Triangle. McClarence is of course not the first to be charmed by the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Like so many others who have made the journey, he noted the exotic appeal of this mystical mausoleum.
India is arguably one of the trendiest holiday destinations. Bookings to visit key attractions in Dehli, Agra and Jaipur - a combination known around the world as India's Golden Triangle make the largest contribution to the country's tourism industry and the wider economy.
The Telegraph's Stephen McClarence is the latest travel expert to declare India's Taj Mahal in Agra India to be "the trip of a lifetime". In his article, McCalarence captured the charm of the famous site best when he noted "It seems to float, as though painted on gauze: pink at dawn and dusk, dazzling white at noon, pearly silver by moonlight".
Each year holidaymakers from all around the world book tours of India, some in the quest for spiritual enlightenment others in the hopes of experiencing first hand India's exotic culture, breath taking landscapes and some of the world's greatest attractions including the exotic Taj Mahal.
The country's appeal is steadily growing in large part because it has been an integral feature of major novels and Hollywood hits in recent times including Slumdog Millionaire, Eat Pray Love, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and most recently The Life of Pi all of which have firmly planted the awe inspiring imagery of this exotic country in the minds of their audiences.
Of course the trouble with over romanticizing any destination is that the reality can be a shock to the system. With sometimes as many as 60 000 visitors a day converging on the magical mausoleum - a key attraction for India's Golden Triangle tours some may be put off by the crowds and the noise, but McClarence noted that the experience was well worth it.
"Such trips offer newcomers a taste of the exoticism they might expect from India: a pageant of palaces, forts, heat, dust, elephant rides and snake charmers. Because it's so firmly on the regular tourist trail, however, the Golden Triangle can also be a baptism of fire for first-timers, with a swarm of touts and hawkers rarely found elsewhere in modern India. Most visitors seem to reckon it's worth it, though, even if they may have to queue at the Taj to be photographed sitting where Princess Diana posed in such beguiling solitude back in 1992".
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In India Browse all
Enjoy the highlights of Cochin, Periyar National Park and Alleppey which is on everyones must-visit list for Kerala
Glimpses of Kerala allows you to see the unique geographical features that have made it one of the most sought after tourist destinations in Asia
- Add on private tours from an extra Â£99 per person, Â£300Â off the Âusual price (includes private car, driver and guides)
- Add a 7-night Golden Triangle tour (Delhi, Agra and Jaipur) from Â£499 per person
- Add three nights at the beachfront Samudra hotel in Kovalam, with breakfast, from Â£170 more per person including transfers
- Enjoy various extras on the tour including Half day sightseeing of Cochin, Kathakali dance performance, boat ride on Lake Periya and Guided walk through a Spice plantation
- The Houseboat offers a floating holiday on the backwaters highway with Rainbow Cruises and is perhaps the most enchanting holiday experience in the world
- English speaking guide will be available throughout your once in a life-time trip
Explore India's famed landmarks and rich culture on an all-encompassing adventure that leaves no stone unturned
- Call now to upgrade to a private tour, including a private car and driver, and personal local guides
- Envisage many world renowned sights including the Taj Mahal with amazing inclusions to experience such as an exclusive Rajasthani Feast
- During the tour you'll be able to enjoy various extras including a bicycle rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, a Chambal River Safari and much more
Journey through the heart of India exploring various monuments including The Taj Mahal and The Golden Temple in Amritsar
Go on a holiday of a lifetime visiting many of the must see tourist spots and more secluded parts that will memorable memories
- Visit the Wagah border to experience the amazing "Lowering of the Flag" ceremony a once in a lifetime activity to witness
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and enjoy two fabolous dinners in Amritsar
Go for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and get a fuller taste of India when you combine culture and village lifestyle traditions.
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing and excursion tours as per the itinerary
- This is a journey through the heart of India to explore the old and new part of Delhi the capital city, the Taj Mahal in Agra and much more
- During the tour you will be staying at fabulous comfortable hotels that are all 4* and above
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Be introduced to the magic of India with the perfect 9 night tour encompassing amazing sights through the cities of...
Travelling by train, the ever-changing scenery will slowly unfold as you move from city to city on this exciting...
Nazri Resort has a prime location on the edge of the white sandy Baga Beach set in lush greenery and is flanked by the...
Discover the untold treasures of the capital of the Indian state of Kerala with an eight-day excursion to Trivandrum. It...
India can make a strong claim to be the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the...