Costa Rica beaches get a facelift thanks to environmental organization Costas Verdes
Max Tattenbach an ambitious Master's student at Yale University has committed to a Costa Rica beach reforestation project through his organization Costas Verdes. The project aims to plant up to 3000 trees along the coast of Playa Guiones. The project is expected to benefit not only the environment but the local community and local tourism as well.
Ecological economics university student and surfing enthusiast, Max Tattenbach was struck by the lack of trees at the local beaches while he was studying at the University of Costa Rica. Four years later Mr Tattenbach, now a Master's student at Yale University, has undertaken a reforestation project in an effort to improve the Costa Rica beach of Playa Guiones in the northwestern province of Guanacaste - a popular destination for surfers. Along with his environmental organization Costas Verdes, Tattenbach has promised to restore six hectares of coastline by planting approximately 2000 to 3000 trees.
Not only will the green project give a much needed boost to these Costa Rica beaches but also it will provide long-term benefits for the environment, the local community and even the local tourism industry. "Our ultimate goal is to prove a concept that environmental organizations can unite communities, the private sector and schools...We are investing in their community and they can benefit from that as much as the environment will. We all share a vision of having a forested coast...With the coast the way that it is, everyone obviously realizes how important this project is" explained Tattenbach.
By lowering the temperatures on the beaches, the reforestation project will provide optimum conditions for other species to thrive as well as blocking the lights from the coastal neighborhoods, which can confuse the turtles that come onshore to nest. The improvements to the local beaches are sure to also have knock-on effects for tourism in Playa Guiones with the trees offering surfers like Mr. Tattenbach, a much needed place to rest.
The Costa Rica Board of Tourism (ICT) and the local Immigration Administration recently reported on the nation's 2012 tourism figures noting that approximately 2.3 million people took Costa Rica holidays in 2012- a seven per cent increase from 2011. The figures were made all the more impressive when it was noted that 2012 was the third consecutive year in which Costa Rica reported a year on year increase in the number of visitors. As more and more travellers book their holidays in Costa Rica each year and with popular Costa Rican beach destinations like Tamarindo also known as the "surf mecca" vying for their attention, destinations like Playa Guiones need to capture the imaginations of holidaymakers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
Embrace the rich diversity of Costa Rica and open your doors to new experiences as you venture to San Jose for a...
âââCosta Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife -...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...