Cuba's 15th annual cigar festival a resounding success
Cigar aficionados from around the world gathered in Havana last week to celebrate Cuba's 15th annual Habano's Festival. The Caribbean island has long been celebrated as the producer of the world's finest cigars and participants were treated to celebration of the Cuba's legacy including visits to leading plantations, a master class on the cigar rolling technique and a special Tobacco and Gastronomy cooking show.
Reports following the 15th annual edition of the Habano's Festival indicate that the popular event was yet another success. Held between the 26th February and the 2nd March 2013, cigar aficionados from across the globe converged in Havana to celebrate the Caribbean island's revered cigar.
Cuba has a longstanding reputation for producing the finest tobacco in part because it has been using the same handmade method since the mid 19th century. This year's festivities were dedicated to two of the leading Cuban cigar brands: Montecristo and Partagas.
The high profile event did attracted guests from over 70 different countries including international celebrities such as former tennis star Boris Becker, Belgian TV star Goedele Liekens and Dario Balzanelli the tenor that many have described as the next Luciano Pavarotti. Some of the highlights included:
- Visit to leading tobacco plantations in Cuba
- Visit to Habanos factories
- Trade Fair
- Master class on the cigar rolling technique
- Habanos blind tasting
However, it was the "Tobacco and Gastronomy" cooking show that set tongues wagging as it was the perfect marriage between two of Cuba's greatest assets- premium cigars and mouth watering Cuban cuisine. Participants watched in awe as Croatian chefs Grugur Baksic, Zoran Simunic and Pantelija Pekic prepared a series of tobacco infused treats from bread to stone bass filets and even ice cream. Of the haute couture dishes Baksic noted, "It's like how you can put chili on a sweet or a sour, you can put honey on a fish and on a fruit and on a meat...something that is good is always good. You cannot make a mistake".
On the final night of the festival the Cuba Cigar auction was held raising more $1.1 million, thanks to the sale of six crafted humidifiers each containing between 350 to 550 of the finest Cuban cigars including brands like H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo and Juliet and Sagardelos, Partagas, Montecristo and Cohiba. As has been the case in previous auctions, the proceeds all went to the Cuban public health care ministry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...