Cuba's 15th annual cigar festival a resounding success
Cigar aficionados from around the world gathered in Havana last week to celebrate Cuba's 15th annual Habano's Festival. The Caribbean island has long been celebrated as the producer of the world's finest cigars and participants were treated to celebration of the Cuba's legacy including visits to leading plantations, a master class on the cigar rolling technique and a special Tobacco and Gastronomy cooking show.
Reports following the 15th annual edition of the Habano's Festival indicate that the popular event was yet another success. Held between the 26th February and the 2nd March 2013, cigar aficionados from across the globe converged in Havana to celebrate the Caribbean island's revered cigar.
Cuba has a longstanding reputation for producing the finest tobacco in part because it has been using the same handmade method since the mid 19th century. This year's festivities were dedicated to two of the leading Cuban cigar brands: Montecristo and Partagas.
The high profile event did attracted guests from over 70 different countries including international celebrities such as former tennis star Boris Becker, Belgian TV star Goedele Liekens and Dario Balzanelli the tenor that many have described as the next Luciano Pavarotti. Some of the highlights included:
- Visit to leading tobacco plantations in Cuba
- Visit to Habanos factories
- Trade Fair
- Master class on the cigar rolling technique
- Habanos blind tasting
However, it was the "Tobacco and Gastronomy" cooking show that set tongues wagging as it was the perfect marriage between two of Cuba's greatest assets- premium cigars and mouth watering Cuban cuisine. Participants watched in awe as Croatian chefs Grugur Baksic, Zoran Simunic and Pantelija Pekic prepared a series of tobacco infused treats from bread to stone bass filets and even ice cream. Of the haute couture dishes Baksic noted, "It's like how you can put chili on a sweet or a sour, you can put honey on a fish and on a fruit and on a meat...something that is good is always good. You cannot make a mistake".
On the final night of the festival the Cuba Cigar auction was held raising more $1.1 million, thanks to the sale of six crafted humidifiers each containing between 350 to 550 of the finest Cuban cigars including brands like H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo and Juliet and Sagardelos, Partagas, Montecristo and Cohiba. As has been the case in previous auctions, the proceeds all went to the Cuban public health care ministry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...