Cuba's 15th annual cigar festival a resounding success
Cigar aficionados from around the world gathered in Havana last week to celebrate Cuba's 15th annual Habano's Festival. The Caribbean island has long been celebrated as the producer of the world's finest cigars and participants were treated to celebration of the Cuba's legacy including visits to leading plantations, a master class on the cigar rolling technique and a special Tobacco and Gastronomy cooking show.
Reports following the 15th annual edition of the Habano's Festival indicate that the popular event was yet another success. Held between the 26th February and the 2nd March 2013, cigar aficionados from across the globe converged in Havana to celebrate the Caribbean island's revered cigar.
Cuba has a longstanding reputation for producing the finest tobacco in part because it has been using the same handmade method since the mid 19th century. This year's festivities were dedicated to two of the leading Cuban cigar brands: Montecristo and Partagas.
The high profile event did attracted guests from over 70 different countries including international celebrities such as former tennis star Boris Becker, Belgian TV star Goedele Liekens and Dario Balzanelli the tenor that many have described as the next Luciano Pavarotti. Some of the highlights included:
- Visit to leading tobacco plantations in Cuba
- Visit to Habanos factories
- Trade Fair
- Master class on the cigar rolling technique
- Habanos blind tasting
However, it was the "Tobacco and Gastronomy" cooking show that set tongues wagging as it was the perfect marriage between two of Cuba's greatest assets- premium cigars and mouth watering Cuban cuisine. Participants watched in awe as Croatian chefs Grugur Baksic, Zoran Simunic and Pantelija Pekic prepared a series of tobacco infused treats from bread to stone bass filets and even ice cream. Of the haute couture dishes Baksic noted, "It's like how you can put chili on a sweet or a sour, you can put honey on a fish and on a fruit and on a meat...something that is good is always good. You cannot make a mistake".
On the final night of the festival the Cuba Cigar auction was held raising more $1.1 million, thanks to the sale of six crafted humidifiers each containing between 350 to 550 of the finest Cuban cigars including brands like H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo and Juliet and Sagardelos, Partagas, Montecristo and Cohiba. As has been the case in previous auctions, the proceeds all went to the Cuban public health care ministry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...