Cuba's 15th annual cigar festival a resounding success
Cigar aficionados from around the world gathered in Havana last week to celebrate Cuba's 15th annual Habano's Festival. The Caribbean island has long been celebrated as the producer of the world's finest cigars and participants were treated to celebration of the Cuba's legacy including visits to leading plantations, a master class on the cigar rolling technique and a special Tobacco and Gastronomy cooking show.
Reports following the 15th annual edition of the Habano's Festival indicate that the popular event was yet another success. Held between the 26th February and the 2nd March 2013, cigar aficionados from across the globe converged in Havana to celebrate the Caribbean island's revered cigar.
Cuba has a longstanding reputation for producing the finest tobacco in part because it has been using the same handmade method since the mid 19th century. This year's festivities were dedicated to two of the leading Cuban cigar brands: Montecristo and Partagas.
The high profile event did attracted guests from over 70 different countries including international celebrities such as former tennis star Boris Becker, Belgian TV star Goedele Liekens and Dario Balzanelli the tenor that many have described as the next Luciano Pavarotti. Some of the highlights included:
- Visit to leading tobacco plantations in Cuba
- Visit to Habanos factories
- Trade Fair
- Master class on the cigar rolling technique
- Habanos blind tasting
However, it was the "Tobacco and Gastronomy" cooking show that set tongues wagging as it was the perfect marriage between two of Cuba's greatest assets- premium cigars and mouth watering Cuban cuisine. Participants watched in awe as Croatian chefs Grugur Baksic, Zoran Simunic and Pantelija Pekic prepared a series of tobacco infused treats from bread to stone bass filets and even ice cream. Of the haute couture dishes Baksic noted, "It's like how you can put chili on a sweet or a sour, you can put honey on a fish and on a fruit and on a meat...something that is good is always good. You cannot make a mistake".
On the final night of the festival the Cuba Cigar auction was held raising more $1.1 million, thanks to the sale of six crafted humidifiers each containing between 350 to 550 of the finest Cuban cigars including brands like H. Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, Romeo and Juliet and Sagardelos, Partagas, Montecristo and Cohiba. As has been the case in previous auctions, the proceeds all went to the Cuban public health care ministry.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...