American Photographers capture Havana through their lens during Cuba holiday
Cuba's capital city Havana is welcoming an increase in American travellers after U.S President Barrack Obama relaxed travel restrictions on travel to Cuba in 2011. Tourists from the United States are now able to visit the Caribbean island for cultural and educational purposes and such as photography excursions and one company recently visited the country to take advantage of the change in law.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has been off-limits for many American tourists for decades but since the U.S President, Barack Obama, eased travel restrictions for U.S residents in 2011, many travellers have been given the opportunity to visit the communist-run nation.
Obama's administrations eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States, and one group of photographers recently took advantage of the changes in the law by taking a trip to the country's capital city, Havana.
Scott Loftesness took part in a tour led by a team from Santa Fe Photographic Workshops in the United States. The 42 photographers arrived to Cuba at Jose Marti International Airport in Havana from Miami, one of the most popular airports for flights from the United States to Cuba.
During their time in Cuba, the photographers took daily dawn walks around the neighbourhoods surrounding Old Havana and Central Havana to capture the beautiful and historic architecture and scenery through the lens of their cameras.
As well as improving their photography skills, the group was able to explore the vibrant city which is thriving with historic and modern Havana hotels, theatres, bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
In Havana City, tourists can soak up Cuba's culture and energetic atmosphere by exploring historical sites, walk along winding cobbled streets, and mingling with the high-spirited local residents.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city can relax in Parque Central amid fragrant gardens and peaceful surroundings.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government to attract more visitors to explore its historical piazzas and streets.
There is plenty to see and do all year round during holidays in Cuba in this vivacious city, including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, the famous Habanos Cigar Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians, as well as appearances from international artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...