American Photographers capture Havana through their lens during Cuba holiday
Cuba's capital city Havana is welcoming an increase in American travellers after U.S President Barrack Obama relaxed travel restrictions on travel to Cuba in 2011. Tourists from the United States are now able to visit the Caribbean island for cultural and educational purposes and such as photography excursions and one company recently visited the country to take advantage of the change in law.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has been off-limits for many American tourists for decades but since the U.S President, Barack Obama, eased travel restrictions for U.S residents in 2011, many travellers have been given the opportunity to visit the communist-run nation.
Obama's administrations eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States, and one group of photographers recently took advantage of the changes in the law by taking a trip to the country's capital city, Havana.
Scott Loftesness took part in a tour led by a team from Santa Fe Photographic Workshops in the United States. The 42 photographers arrived to Cuba at Jose Marti International Airport in Havana from Miami, one of the most popular airports for flights from the United States to Cuba.
During their time in Cuba, the photographers took daily dawn walks around the neighbourhoods surrounding Old Havana and Central Havana to capture the beautiful and historic architecture and scenery through the lens of their cameras.
As well as improving their photography skills, the group was able to explore the vibrant city which is thriving with historic and modern Havana hotels, theatres, bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
In Havana City, tourists can soak up Cuba's culture and energetic atmosphere by exploring historical sites, walk along winding cobbled streets, and mingling with the high-spirited local residents.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city can relax in Parque Central amid fragrant gardens and peaceful surroundings.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government to attract more visitors to explore its historical piazzas and streets.
There is plenty to see and do all year round during holidays in Cuba in this vivacious city, including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, the famous Habanos Cigar Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians, as well as appearances from international artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...