American Photographers capture Havana through their lens during Cuba holiday
Cuba's capital city Havana is welcoming an increase in American travellers after U.S President Barrack Obama relaxed travel restrictions on travel to Cuba in 2011. Tourists from the United States are now able to visit the Caribbean island for cultural and educational purposes and such as photography excursions and one company recently visited the country to take advantage of the change in law.
The Caribbean island of Cuba has been off-limits for many American tourists for decades but since the U.S President, Barack Obama, eased travel restrictions for U.S residents in 2011, many travellers have been given the opportunity to visit the communist-run nation.
Obama's administrations eased restrictions on travel to Cuba for cultural, religious and educational groups from the United States, and one group of photographers recently took advantage of the changes in the law by taking a trip to the country's capital city, Havana.
Scott Loftesness took part in a tour led by a team from Santa Fe Photographic Workshops in the United States. The 42 photographers arrived to Cuba at Jose Marti International Airport in Havana from Miami, one of the most popular airports for flights from the United States to Cuba.
During their time in Cuba, the photographers took daily dawn walks around the neighbourhoods surrounding Old Havana and Central Havana to capture the beautiful and historic architecture and scenery through the lens of their cameras.
As well as improving their photography skills, the group was able to explore the vibrant city which is thriving with historic and modern Havana hotels, theatres, bars, nightclubs and restaurants.
In Havana City, tourists can soak up Cuba's culture and energetic atmosphere by exploring historical sites, walk along winding cobbled streets, and mingling with the high-spirited local residents.
Holidaymakers who are looking to escape the hustle and bustle of the city can relax in Parque Central amid fragrant gardens and peaceful surroundings.
Old Havana boasts baroque and neo-classical architecture and buildings and is currently undergoing restoration by the Cuban government to attract more visitors to explore its historical piazzas and streets.
There is plenty to see and do all year round during holidays in Cuba in this vivacious city, including the Havana International Ballet Festival, the Havana International Film Festival, the famous Habanos Cigar Festival, and the Havana Jazz Festival which features performances from Cuba's finest musicians, as well as appearances from international artists.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...