Daredevil frenchman climb 27-storey Cuba hotel in Havana with no safety net or ropes
A 50-year-old Frenchman has climbed up the side of a Cuba hotel without ropes or a safety net in front of a crowd of onlookers. Alain Robert, known as "Spider-Man" for his dangerous climbing exploits, climbed to the top of the 126-metre high Habana Libre hotel in Cuba's capital city, Havana.
A daredevil from France has wowed crowds in Havana after climbing up the side of a 27-storey-high hotel in the capital. Alain Robert, known as "Spider-Man", climbed up the Cuba hotel, Tryp Habana Libre, without ropes of a safety net, covering 126 metres in 30 minutes.
Robert said that his biggest concern about climbing the Havana hotel was not the height of the iconic hotel, but that its historic façade would crumble away as he climbed up it.
The daredevil is well known for climbing famous buildings all over the globe and he often goes ahead with his stunts without seeking permission from the local authorities, which has led to him being arrested in the past. However, Robert gained permission from Havana's officials for his latest adventure and dozens of police were present during the event.
The Frenchman has conquered many tall buildings over the years including Sears Tower in Chicago, San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge, and the Empire State Building in New York, as well as the world's tallest building, the 828-metre-high Burj Khalifa in Dubai, which took him six hours to climb.
Formerly a Hilton hotel, Tryp Habana Libre is a famous hotel in Havana and a hotspot for tourists visiting Cuba. The historic property was taken over after the Cuban Revolution in 1959 and it was the temporary location for Fidel Castro's personal offices after his victory.
Havana City is Cuba's thriving capital and every year, hundreds of thousands of international tourists visit the bustling city during holidays in Cuba to soak up the culture, traditions, historic architecture and energetic nightlife.
Cuba is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea. The island boasts the world's second-largest barrier reef and popular scuba diving spots such as the Isle of Youth with the thriving Punta Frances Natural Park; the popular beach resort of Varadero with over 20 km of white sand beaches; and several natural, heritage and historic sites that are scattered across the island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Tryp Habana Libre Hotel Browse all
The perfect mix of the exciting city life in Havana and pampering beach retreat in Cayo Santa Maria.
- Add a Havana experience tour, including visits to UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the rum factory, the famous Floridita bar and the Revolution Square
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, including a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
- Upgrade to a return plane transfer between Havana and Cayo Santa Maria for Â£149 per person
Mix history and fun in the sun with a twin-centre special that includes the delights of Havana and Cuba's most popular beachside resort at Varadero
- Take the Free Shuttle bus to downtown Havana
- The Memories Miramar is located in the most ellegant residencial area of Havana and close to Havana Trade Centre
- The Sol Sirenas Coral is known for providing guests with superb entertainment
The hustle and bustle of Havana followed by the relaxed hospitality of Cayo Coco at tryp habana libre and tryp cayo coco
Stay at two top Tryp hotels giving you the perfect opportunity to explore one of the Caribbean's most diverse countries at tryp habana libre and tryp cayo coco.
- Tryp Habana Libre's outdoor swimming pool is perfect for relaxing or cooling off after a day of sightseeing with a spacious deck lined with sunbeds
- Guests at Tryp Cayo Coco have a plethora of activities to choose from: tennis, lessons, water volleyball, water polo, kayaking and windsurfing
- Both hotels have excellent restaurants and bars allowing you to get the full flavour of Cuba
Tryp Habana Libre is located in central Havana, whilst Sol Rio de Luna y Mares Resort is situated by the white sands of Playa Esmeralda.
- Enjoy Tryp Habana Libre's huge swimming pool with spacious outdoor deck
- Daytime programmes include games, dance lessons and ecological excursions whilst evening programmes demonstate amazing Cuban talent and art
- A perfect contrast between the hustle and bustle of Havana and the serenity and relaxation of Guardalavaca
Sol Cayo Santa Maria lies in the northeast of the province of Villa Clara, in the Caribbean archipelago of Jardines del...
Start off your Cuban adventure with a stay at one of the island's most well-known landmark hotels. Once known as the...
Combine a beach holiday in Varadero with a city escape in Havana on an exotic holiday to Cuba. Start your holiday in...
Discover the beautiful sites and animated nightlife of the La Rampa district in Havana during a relaxing stay at the...
This charming and colourful combination of Havana’s bustle and Varadero’s stunning beach promises a fun-filled and...
Dance to the rhythm of salsa and cha cha cha on a twin centre holiday to Cuba, combining a stay in Havana with a stay...